Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Petsupermarket employee complaints and questions

• Thread starter guineapigpiglet
  • Start date

guineapigpiglet

Cavy Gazer
Hi. I'm new to this website but have used this website to do research before. I currently have two Guinea pigs. They are both girls and are both short-haired.
They live in a 2 by 4 c and c cage which is the appropriate size for at least 2 guinea pigs. One day I went to Pet Supermarket and went by the guinea pig section.
I saw how bad they're cages are and all that crap. An employee came up to me and tried to pressure me to by Kaytee Hay. I said no and walked out. Today, I went with
my dog and we went to get her a sweater. This one employee came up to me and said: "Can I help you with anything?" I said no i'm fine thank you though. She then stared at
my dog and said she's cold. Duh! I know that. Why would you think that i'm here?! She then led me to the sweaters and brought out this christmas onesie. She then put it on my
dog (I did not ask her) and my dog didn't want that. She then dragged my dog towards while my dog was flipping out. She then forced this christmas onesie (it's not even christmas
anymore!) on her and said: "Follow me to the cash register i'll check it out for you." Wow. Talk about controlling. I'm a very quiet person so I did what I was told. I then bought
the flipping christmas onesie and walked out of the store. What just happened? She controlled me! I also wanted to know if they're ferrets are healthy? Has anyone ever got ferrets from
them and they've lived up to their entire lifespan? Has this ever happened to you at pet supermarket or other pet stores? :sad:

tegwen.boyle

Cavy Slave
That sounds really bad[emoji29]Nothing like that has ever really happened to me, but I don't generally go to chain pet stores. They do feel more controlling at chain ones, I don't really know why but it's just the feeling I get. I like other local pet stores much more. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
A long time ago I was searching for a companion for my current piggie and I went into petco just to grab my pig another willow ball and my mom (without telling me) went and got an employee telling him I was looking for another guinea pig. The sales person proceeded to tell me that guinea pigs should not be housed long term together and it would be a very poor idea to get my girl a friend. I was so pissed I just walked away. I know they take poor care of their guinea pigs but its the only pet store close and shipping is always very expensive for me. My other view on getting pigs from pet stores is that its kinda like a black market adoption ring. You know if you adopt one you will be supporting the association but at the same time you want to save them. Anyone the point is I am very unimpressed with how petco trains its employees and how they treat their animals.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, you let her control you. She can't do anything to you that you don't allow. You've got vocal cords, and know how to use them, and the word "No" is in your vocabulary.

tegwen.boyle

Cavy Slave
Actually, you let her control you. She can't do anything to you that you don't allow. You've got vocal cords, and know how to use them, and the word "No" is in your vocabulary.

Sure she could have said no but I still think that they should not be that pushy... if your in a store and they ask if you want help and you say no they should respect that and not try and pressure you to buy things

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@bpatters is right. I was a bit taken aback that you allowed her to put the onesie on your dog in the first place. It was a bit forceful of her to do that but you could have spoken up at any time and said, "No, thank you. I can handle that".

drazil3

Cavy Slave
Hi there. Just jumping in. My two girls recently turned the tables on a petco employee. When we were looking at the guinea pigs, we were asked if we needed help, and my oldest said very politely, "No, but could you please provide them (the pigs) with cleaner hay and new pellets? And my youngest, says, "This pig over here seems to have a skin condition,you should check on". The the poor pig was clearly in the middle of what looked like eczema with missing patches of hair. As a mom it made me proud that they were trying to stick up for those poor souls.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

pouty

Cavy Slave
Why are you blaming the poor girl for your own actions? Just say no. The employees are uneducated by their superiors and not responsible for the condition of the animals. That's all cooperate. They're just employees.

All the products you find in pet stores can be bought online. If you feel so strongly against the stores and have too much anxiety to speak up for yourself, order online on Amazon or chewy or whatever and stop supporting the actual store.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
When you go to any store you should feel like its a safe place where you are not going to be pressured into things. As someone with severe anxiety I sympathize with her because in stores i just want to be left to my self and have a hard time saying no to people. And I'm sure they don't teach them to go up to a customer dress up their dog and take them to the checkout, but I do agree that it is a lack of training on the stores part.

tegwen.boyle

Cavy Slave
When you go to any store you should feel like its a safe place where you are not going to be pressured into things. As someone with severe anxiety I sympathize with her because in stores i just want to be left to my self and have a hard time saying no to people. And I'm sure they don't teach them to go up to a customer dress up their dog and take them to the checkout, but I do agree that it is a lack of training on the stores part.

Yes I totally agree with you, it's not always easy for some people to just say no and the store should be training people to understand that

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I got kicked out of my local petco three years ago for noticing a baby pig with very clear URI symptoms and insisting they take him to a vet. Ironically, one of the dog groomers overheard, could tell I knew what I was talking about, and went over the other employee's head to take him to a vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.