Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Recommendations for introducing a new guinea to a pair?

Wintyr

Cavy Slave
Hello, all!

I am hoping to get some recommendations for introducing my newest guinea pig, Maleficent, to my pair, Anna and Regina.
Anna is Regina's daughter and they have not been separated since her birth--I adopted them together.
Mal is healthy, I've taken her to a vet and also kept her isolated from my two girls for about a month, then kept them in the same room but separate cages. All of them are aware there's strange guineas in the room--they frequently wheek at each other in the mornings and evenings.
I am planning to purchase a C&C cage for the three of them to live in, but I'm wondering what the best method of introduction would be. I know a lot of it has to do with the individual personalities of the piggies, but I am still hoping for advice!
I really would rather use the buddy bath method as a last resort. Should I just put them all in the C&C (which will be new, neutral territory for all) and see how it goes or would gradual introductions beforehand be a better strategy, etc?

Thank you in advance!

wombats

Cavy Slave
Read over this page on how to do introductions. https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html It's a really good read and tells you everything you need to know. :)

And it's probably better to do the actual introductions in a small room or blocked-off hallway instead. That way they all have plenty of room to get away from each other if they need to, while still being in a neutral, contained area. However, it would be a good idea to not put any of them in the c and c until it's all said and done--that way it's completely new and neutral to all of them. And also make sure the c and c is a 2x5 or larger, as that's a good size for 3 sows. Bigger is better though, and if you have the space, use it.

Best of luck with intoductions though--I hope it goes well!

Wintyr

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much for the input! I will be sure to read over the article, and hopefully everything will go smoothly!

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Thank you very much for the input! I will be sure to read over the article, and hopefully everything will go smoothly!

Have you done the introduction yet? How did they do?

Wintyr

Cavy Slave
Have you done the introduction yet? How did they do?

I have not yet--I am going on vacation in a few days and my friend will be pig sitting, so all introductions will wait until after I am back!

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Keep us posted! :)

Wintyr

Cavy Slave
The introduction happened today! With the help of a friend, all the girlies got a bath and then were placed in a neutral area with a pile of hay. At first, everyone munched rather peacefully... but then, of course, dominance needed to be sorted out.
As I figured, Anna is my submissive one. She has been left completely alone by both other piggies because she has really asserted her submissive nature. Anna and Mal are already snuggling.
Regina and Mal, however, are still trying to sort out their dominance. After an hour of calm in the neutral territory, we moved everyone into the new C & C cage. Since then, there have been a few minor scuffles as well as other dominance-relates behavior, but everyone is able to eat and drink and there are plenty of hideys, so I would say today was a major success! Thank you for the article--it was a great help today!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.