Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding How to get my new young piggy comfortable with me?

petluv

Cavy Slave
My previous piggy I adopted as an adult so it didn’t take him long at all to be fine with hand pets and cuddles.

This time around I will be getting a younger (though not baby) piggy.

Tips for getting him adjusted first to his new home, then to me, and finally to me holding him?

Mymisters

Cavy Slave
There is a LOT of info online already, so I'd just say check out skinnypigs1 on YouTube. Just search "skinnypigs1 taming" and she has maybe 5 or 6 good videos with amazing info!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

petluv

Cavy Slave
There is a LOT of info online already, so I'd just say check out skinnypigs1 on YouTube. Just search "skinnypigs1 taming" and she has maybe 5 or 6 good videos with amazing info!

Thanks so much for this link!

Mymisters

Cavy Slave
[emoji106] she's the best!

RoseCarter

Cavy Slave
I'm having the same concern. Spent so much time reading everything about taming and still confused about when to start holding them. Everyone has a different opinion.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I have also had good luck with the method described by @Candalalala, whether it be for lap time or for cage cleaning. The tunnel is the preferred method in my home and the piggies automatically run into it. Once I get them out and into the cuddle cup, they are OK with the petting, especially when I offer treats. Previously the chasing and picking them up were causing both of us stress.

halal.jose

Cavy Slave
Let them get used to your scent and noises around your house. Be sure that your piggies are in an area where a lot of people can interact with them. For example, I have my piggies in the living room and everyone is able to interact with them which makes them used to people. I would say my piggies are pretty tame and are very comfortable with human interaction. :D

RoseCarter

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the advice. I used a tunnel,got them into my fun area without any problem. Cuddle time was so enjoyable. Finally checked nails and skin. I'm loving the no chase method.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.