Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Fast and short breathing! Worried!

Kitchupoy

Cavy Gazer
Hi guys. I posted a thread a few days ago about one of my piggies having swollen genitals. Turns out she had calcium deposits on her genitals. Thanks for the replies. She's okay now!

Anyway, I noticed just today that my other piggie has been taking short and fast breaths. Her breathing seems to shake her whole body as well. But it's not accompanied by wheezing or coughs. I'm worried sick.

She's eating normally, drinking fine, would run around if I let her out of her cage, and gets excited with her treats. I'm just bothered by her breathing pattern. I don't know if it's serious or I'm just paranoid.

I'll take her to the vet but I just wanted some opinion from you guys. Thanks. I hope she gets better. :(

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Breathing that shakes her whole body qualifies as something that needs a quick vet visit. It could be the onset of pneumonia, and you need to get a jump on it now.

Kitchupoy

Cavy Gazer
I've been watching her all day and her worrisome breathing isn't noticable anymore. Could it be the heat? It was around 95F here in the afternoon. But even so, I'll take her to the vet in the morning. I really hope you're wrong about this bpatters. :( Thanks again

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Absolutely it could be the heat. Guinea pigs can have heat stroke at anything above 85 degrees. You need to make sure that her cage temperature doesn't exceed that, and if the room is too hot, she should have frozen water bottles in the cage, and a fan circulating air (although not blowing directly on her).

Kitchupoy

Cavy Gazer
I really, really hope it's just the heat. I'll give an update in the morning on her breathing. I swear I can be such a worry wart sometimes. It's just that I loved them so much the first time I held them. Thanks again bpatters!

Kitchupoy

Cavy Gazer
Woke up early today to check up on her. I saw her worrisome breathing pattern again. Can you tell me if this is normal?

[video=youtube;lwUs2s_0wA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwUs2s_0wA0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I separated her from my other guinea pig hence the small cage. But you can see them together. I just brought my second piggie inside to see how she would react.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, I'd go to the vet.

Fay

Cavy Slave
Take her to the vet ASAP being hunched up in a corner breathing heavily is NOT a good sign. Just make sure you take her to a good knowledgeable exotic vet. Not a regularly small animal cat & dog vet because they aren't trained to treat guinea pigs.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I third that. She is not well for sure.

Also, please look into a larger cage (just a side note) :) .

Last edited:

Fay

Cavy Slave
I third that. She is not well for sure.

Also, please look into a larger cage (just a side note) :) .

They explained beneath the video that they put her in a smaller cage to separate her from the other pig.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Ahh I seem to have missed that explanation, was too busy looking at the video. Sorry about that. Thanks for catching my silliness.

Kitchupoy

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the replies guys. I already arranged an appointment with the vet but unfortunately, I have to wait three days to bring him in. Any ideas on what could his condition be and any idea what I could do to help him?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.