Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathed the girls today :)

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
They were thrilled.....NOT! lol but they did do surprisingly well considering they have never been bathed before. I didn't get them quite as thoroughly as I would have liked but they don't stink anymore. They were just stressed so I decided to make it as quick as possible.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
well I don't think they will ever like the bath but maybe cooperate or not even that. Not sure why they would stink. Are they boys?

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
No they're girls. They poop in their igloo A LOT and they like to sleep in it as well so they pretty much sleep in their poop no matter how much I sweep it up. That's probably why they stink.

KaryIvett

Cavy Slave
Later its going to be bath time for Charlie and Lola too! Charlie loves it, Lola gets very stressed

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
I have girls too and they do get stinky. But it isn't good to bath them too often for they have natural oils that can get dried out. There are some pet safe no wash sprays you can do for inbetween. To avoid them inhaling the fumes or getting it in their eyes you could spray it on a damp cloth and just give them a good wipe and then dry them off.

@KaryIvett welcome to the forum! That is a big piggy you are holding! Is it one the larger breeds?

KaryIvett

Cavy Slave
I have no idea what breed he is but sure he is big and adorable!!

ajweekley

Cavy Slave
I keep seeing that guinea pigs shouldn't be bathed too often, but how often is too often? I haven't bathed my boys yet, but I'm just wondering.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I have bathed mine once in the 6months we've had them but they are about due for the next one!
Unfortunately, mine (both boys) like to sleep where the poo/pee as well and get pretty stinky bellys. the first time I bathed them, I only used water because I didn't know if there is somet type of shampoo I could use without drying out their skin.... it removed the yucky stuff but not much of the smell (figures...).

Is there any type of shampoo I can use? Probably not human shampoo but some sort of pet shampoo?? like cats/kittens or dogs/puppies?

My stinkers really need a bath asap lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.