Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Do you use pigloos for your guinea pigs?.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I currently use a pigloo, but George doesn't go in it very often. He really only goes in it when he gets scared which is why I leave it in there. I plan on cutting a second hole in it soon, not only to provide better ventilation, but also to avoid one getting trapped during a squabble when I adopt another piggy within the next month or two. :)

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I'm not a fan of pigloos for the reasons that have already been mentioned. Though also because I've had heavy chewers, and I wouldn't like them chewing on plastic. For a house I prefer this: Amazon.com: Super Pet Woodland Get-A-Way Large Guinea Pig House: Pet Supplies In the largest size. It's safe to chew on, has plenty ventilation, two exits (They can easily jump through the window, in fact my pigs use that more than the door) And it looks a lot nicer than some hunk of molded plastic in my opinion. I have one of those, but I also use tunnels as hiddys and a pile of hay can be any amazing hidey too.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Be careful if you use plastic foot stools and only use those that are completely smooth on the underside. Someone gave me one that I used until they flipped it and one of my guinea pigs jumped in. He was limping after he jumped out. The underside looks kind of like an ice cube tray with deep square sections. I think he must have hit his leg on one of the plastic pieces but he was lucky because he could've broken a leg.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm not a fan of pigloos for the reasons that have already been mentioned. Though also because I've had heavy chewers, and I wouldn't like them chewing on plastic. For a house I prefer this: Amazon.com: Super Pet Woodland Get-A-Way Large Guinea Pig House: Pet Supplies In the largest size. It's safe to chew on, has plenty ventilation, two exits (They can easily jump through the window, in fact my pigs use that more than the door) And it looks a lot nicer than some hunk of molded plastic in my opinion. I have one of those, but I also use tunnels as hiddys and a pile of hay can be any amazing hidey too.

I'm not a big fan of cardboard or wood because they absorb urine and can't be cleaned. Someone donated one like your link and it was really saturated with droppings and urine. If I didn't use pigloos, I'd probably use something out of fabric that could be laundered daily.

acydrose

Cavy Slave

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Tigger and Adi love the fleece tents that I make for them. They have two entrances that allow for lots of airflow and room to run around. (You can't see the second entrance from this picture, but it is on the other side)
DSC_0359.jpg

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
@pinky That's a good point that I didn't think of. Though I've never had problems with that myself, I've had this wooden hut since I got my first pigs and it's still in great shape.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
I have this

IMG_20121112_164414.jpg

The back and sides aren't solid plastic, it came with "air holes". It fits all three of my ladies.

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Tigger and Adi love the fleece tents that I make for them. They have two entrances that allow for lots of airflow and room to run around. (You can't see the second entrance from this picture, but it is on the other side)View attachment 47555

These little tents are super, super cute!! My ladies would love something like that! Do you sell them?

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
My girls have had pigloos all their lives and adore them. I use an extra large one, which they sleep in every night. I also love that they are easy to clean.Julie photos 324.jpg

CaviesPrincess

Cavy Slave
Sadly, any store in our place do not sell pigloos. I could not find even one! But as I was reading the replies here, seems to be glad I did not buy it because it can also harm them because of circulation issue. My piggies tend to go in the corner when they are afraid. They have cozy items and they really are satisfied with those. lol

pinky

Cavy Slave
Sadly, any store in our place do not sell pigloos. I could not find even one! But as I was reading the replies here, seems to be glad I did not buy it because it can also harm them because of circulation issue. My piggies tend to go in the corner when they are afraid. They have cozy items and they really are satisfied with those. lol

They have vent holes in the top and you can add more holes if you need. I've been using pigloos forever and my guinea pigs have been very healthy. It all has to do with good housekeeping. If the cages are kept clean, you eliminate the bacteria that can cause illness. Even if you have no pigloos and dirty cages, you will probably end up with sick pigs. Cozies are a good substitute for pigloos. I think anything that can be sanitized is better than something porous that can't be washed.

guinysmom

Cavy Slave
It is really nice to hear so many different points of view. I am currently using one that looks like a tree stump with only one entrance hole.
I am thinking at this point I am going to keep it but only until I can buy him something better or make it.
@T1ggerPigLuvur that was very crEative of you making that tent, I would buy one.

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Slave
These little tents are super, super cute!! My ladies would love something like that! Do you sell them?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I could sell them, even if I wanted to. I used a pattern off the internet (granted that I did alter it quite a bit) but I don't want to sell a design made by somebody else. I could probably contact the original seamstress and ask her.

EDIT: If you can sew, I can post a link to the tutorial if you want.

CookiesMom

Cavy Slave
I am pretty new to piggies, and don't know the reasons why not to use them. I do take it out during the day so they will run around and get some exercise.

squbefactory

Cavy Slave
I had two that I used at the beginning but as they grew they started to hogg them, even found three squeezed in one and it doesnt fit three (the round igloos not the oblong ones), when I lifted it up they went pooff and expanded out so I confiscated them to use only outside in the run with the plastic stools.

I made my own as I couldnt get anything I liked in the uk, being made of fabric they wash and dry really easily and my lot love them, so do other peoples guinea pigs as I have had returning customers and lots of happy rescue piggies using them in the rescues that I or others have donated them to.

Last edited by a moderator:

guinysmom

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, I'm not sure I could sell them, even if I wanted to. I used a pattern off the internet (granted that I did alter it quite a bit) but I don't want to sell a design made by somebody else. I could probably contact the original seamstress and ask her.

EDIT: If you can sew, I can post a link to the tutorial if you want.

That would be great, thanks.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I use pigloos but rotate them out with other types of hideys, including some with two entrances. It's sort of like the 3 Little Pigs story. I have straw, wood, cardboard, and plastic...no brick, though.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
I to am not a big fan of pigloos, mainly because I have a chewer and I don't like her chewing on plastic.
I prefer using cuddle cups and cardboard houses, I also have this cute little strawberry house I got off the internet:
Camera Effects-1360741209911-1.jpg

Artista

Cavy Slave
Yes I do. She loves it! She had one in Petco so I got her one for home. It's where she sleeps and goes to for 'private' time away. She knows how to turn the thing by nudging in those indentations at the top to either see what I'm doing or to turn her entry away from me for more privacy. Really cute!

As for circulation, I figure she would come out if it gets too stuffy. She's in there a lot. I'm in the process of putting together her 2x3 CC cage I just got her after 4 months of having her (she's about 9 months old). Maybe that will prod her to come out of hiding more.

Ironically she'd rather be in her current 17" x 27" cage than out for long. I bring her out and she'll run a little but not alot. I'd think she'd do more after being in the cage all day but after 15-20 min I get the bites to go back, and it's not always to go pee. Her food is out as is hay so she's not hungry either. :s

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.