Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Great Hay Find!!

codoggydr

Cavy Slave
Great Hay Find!!

Went to the farmer's supply today and was disappointed with the quality of the hay they had. It was brown, stemmy, from very far away....yuck! On the way home, drove past a farmer in the process of baling hay.....I rolled down my window and asked if he would sell me a bale. He replied "Rabbits?". He gladly sold me several bales of the most beautiful, fresh, green, second cutting grass hay for the cost of 1 bag of pet store hay. Total fluke that I drove down that road at the right time. So glad I live in a semi-rural area!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm so jealous!!!! Sounds like you might have a regular source for hay now.

codoggydr

Cavy Slave
I'm so jealous!!!! Sounds like you might have a regular source for hay now.

I think you are right, but I don't think I will be needing hay for a while:).....I got 3 bales and gave 1 away to a friend with piggies. How long do you think a bale will last for 3 pigs? I'm not sure how long a bale will stay good if stored in a dry place with good air circulation, either.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I had to buy a bag of store bought today becuse my rescue play have run out.. Getting more on Friday or Saturday my girls can't wait.. They just don't like the store stuff and either does my pocket..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hay will last two years or more if it's stored in a dry place with good air circulation.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Just keep it dry. My dad is a farmer and, as long as we keep it up and out of the rain and other animals it should last for quite a long time. Do you know how heavy the bale is? Most farmers do 50-100 lbs bales. Looks like you got a two strand bale, which should be in the 50-80 lb range. I know one 80lb bale lasts about 2 months for my 3 rabbits.

codoggydr

Cavy Slave
. Do you know how heavy the bale is? Most farmers do 50-100 lbs bales. Looks like you got a two strand bale, which should be in the 50-80 lb range. I know one 80lb bale lasts about 2 months for my 3 rabbits.

I have two of the two strand bales and think they are closer to 50 lb as I could lift it without difficulty, something I don't think I could say for an 80 lb bale! Do you bed your rabbits in the hay or just use it to feed them? I don't know if my 3 guinea pigs will eat as much as three rabbits, or not.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
For bedding I use straw or grass hay. And feed them Timothy I don't think gpigs eat as much. Or at least mine didn't. Now that it's getting to winter I suggest you find a good place and get atleast one more bale. Hay season over here doesn't start till around april march ish and I don't think two bales will last you till then. Not to mention first cuts don't happen for at least a month and a half after there planted

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.