Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Oxbow Western Timothy Hay

But aren't guinea pigs supposed to have lots of harder pieces for their teeth? Really? My Kaytee hay smells quite nice, actually!

My vet said that the stiffer pieces helps their teeth more. My guys don't mind some harder pieces, not really hard, just stiffer. I use Kaytee hay, and it has always had a very strong fresh smell, and honestly, I've found very little brown bits in mine. I want to try other hay, but right now this is what I'm working with lol.

Muffin eats all the pieces!! Lol, she loves her hay :) :) So have I but not much. Yes, I'd definitely like to try Oxbow soon, see what's so special about it, Lol :D

If I ever bought kaytee again I would probably try out their orchard hay cause all the bags I've seen are green and soft. And timothy hay been giving me really bad allergies lately.

My pigs are so spoiled when it comes to hay! LOL They are usually fed Oxbow western timothy, which they absolutely love. A few moths ago I tried feeding some "high quality organic" hay from the neighbors who gave me my gerbil, but they would barely touch it. Just recently I had to pick up a bag of Kaytee and a lot of that just gets scattered on the floor and left uneaten. I will say, I certainly prefer Oxbow hay over Kaytee because Kaytee had a lot of dust at the bottom of the bag and the hay is much harder.

I like Kaytee hay. I know some people don't like it, but I've never had a problem with it. DO any of you guys use Kaytee hay??

I bought the 90oz once to use a cheaper hay to put down for them to play and lay in, I think they liked it more than the Oxbow. I might have to get some as my piggies do not seem to want to eat as much hay or they are just not eating what is in the racks and just what I put down.

My vet said that the stiffer pieces helps their teeth more. My guys don't mind some harder pieces, not really hard, just stiffer. I use Kaytee hay, and it has always had a very strong fresh smell, and honestly, I've found very little brown bits in mine. I want to try other hay, but right now this is what I'm working with lol.

My 60lb box of Smallpetselect came with some brown bits in it. I assumed all hay has some but it was more like its threaded in. If it was a ton, I would have complained.

If I ever bought kaytee again I would probably try out their orchard hay cause all the bags I've seen are green and soft. And timothy hay been giving me really bad allergies lately.
Kaytee has an orchard grass hay??

My local Ma&Pa feed store sells whole bales of Timothy hay for $6. Talk about a deal! Sometimes the local hay is better than the shipped stuff for multiple reasons:
1. It's often cheaper
2. It's grown by you
3. You help out a local store and farmer
4. It's easier to get, and you don't have to wait for shipping.

My feed store sells hay. yellow cattle hay. It was ugly.

My local Ma&Pa feed store sells whole bales of Timothy hay for $6. Talk about a deal! Sometimes the local hay is better than the shipped stuff for multiple reasons:
1. It's often cheaper
2. It's grown by you
3. You help out a local store and farmer
4. It's easier to get, and you don't have to wait for shipping.

Yes indeed!! My local feed store sells fresh good quality hay for $6.

@TheMuffinPiggy Yes they have orchard grass I've only seen it available at Petsmart and Petco.

I have the Kaytee Orchard Grass at the moment because of allergies, I plan on buying KMS bluegrass and timothy pellets soon!

I have the Kaytee Orchard Grass at the moment because of allergies, I plan on buying KMS bluegrass and timothy pellets soon!

does KMS bluegrass really do a good job with keeping allergies down? Lately my allergies have been getting worst with Timothy hay my throat starts to itch and close up and my eyes swell and burn. So I have to take medication daily to make symptoms more mild. My eyes just get watery and tingles just a lil now since I've been taking medicine. Did your guinea pigs use to have timothy I'm scared my guinea pigs might not like bluegrass I don't want to order 9lbs of it and then my guinea pigs not eat it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.