Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat How long?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So Bella has been doing her heat noise and behavior with her buddy, me. It has to be 2 months now, maybe longer. While cute, it's annoying having to push her away every time my hand goes in her pen. Is this becoming too long?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Two months is too long for anybody to be in heat. lol

I don't recall if Bella has been evaluated for ovarian cysts? If not, that could be the problem.

Perhaps get her a small stuffed animal on which she can lavish her affections. Try infusing it with some scent that she likes, whether food or otherwise.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Two months is too long for anybody to be in heat. lol

I don't recall if Bella has been evaluated for ovarian cysts? If not, that could be the problem.

Perhaps get her a small stuffed animal on which she can lavish her affections. Try infusing it with some scent that she likes, whether food or otherwise.

Back in Sept they found an 8mm on 1 side and 5mm on the other. Was told by a vet that averages 1 gp spay a mo to not spay unless see symptoms like hair loss.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I got her herbie the hippo. She had interest for a minute just sniffing. I'm her forever unfortunately.

What is the average time in heat? I'm thinking it'll never end!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Average time is about 48 hrs. If she isn't a candidate for surgery, then I guess you are just going to have to live with it. You are lucky that she loves you and is affectionate. Some people would be very happy if their piggy was friendly and loving. :rolleyes:

Artista

Cavy Slave
Average time is about 48 hrs. If she isn't a candidate for surgery, then I guess you are just going to have to live with it. You are lucky that she loves you and is affectionate. Some people would be very happy if their piggy was friendly and loving. :rolleyes:

She is 2 yo. Just fine otherwise. But the vet said chance cysts won't be problematic so weighed the anesthesia/surgery risks and recovery vs waiting for signs.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Just called the vet. Says not concerned, that it's heightened behavior. If I want to spay would do it but not necessary unless I see the visual signs. The cost, risks and level of post op care is a bit much so I'll see how it goes.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Just called the vet. Says not concerned, that it's heightened behavior. If I want to spay would do it but not necessary unless I see the visual signs. The cost, risks and level of post op care is a bit much so I'll see how it goes.

Good idea! In medicine we call this "watchful waiting".

Artista

Cavy Slave
I just can't believe how long this behavior is going on. 2 mo now! Tired of her trying to mount my hand, arm, every time. I really don't think this will ever end. She has 2 stuffed buddies but prefers my hand. Getting another pig isn't an option. I'm not fully well, am on low fixed income, and anticipate vet bills on her in the future. I push her away, say no. She continues. I'd never hurt her so pushing away is what I try. It's driving me nuts! Any other ideas how to get this to stop?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
There is no way to get the behavior to stop without having her spayed. She is doing it because of the increased hormones and will not stop until the hormones do.

In all honesty if you are waiting for symptoms of ovarian cysts to arise before spaying you have one of the biggest symptoms already, which is the acting like they are in heat all the time. Not all sows with ovarian cysts do suffer from hair loss.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Finally is almost nill now. I'm going to actually log it next time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.