Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Guinea pig acting strange and possibly had a seizure(?)

nmiller

Cavy Gazer
Hello

I own a guinea pig who is 2 years old. He's been very healthy, happy and VERY affectionate ever since I got him. However, recently he is acting really strange... He's been sleeping ALL day, being either really quiet or really loud for a day (yelling after I've already given him food, taken him out, etc., or just being completely silent for the day), not eating some of his favorite vegetables, and standing still for a long time. Yesterday I noticed he had a tiny little bald patch in front of his leg and wasn't sure what to think of it. Earlier today, he was laying completely sprawled out in his igloo and all of a sudden starting squirming around. It would kind of come in waves, where he would be laying still for a few seconds then start flopping and kicking his legs and chewing on his igloo. He stayed on his side the entire time and didn't make any noise. I reached in and starting petting him and could see that his breathing was really fast but eventually slowed down as I pet him and calmed him down. Then, I went down to my kitchen to get him some lettuce to eat to possibly cool down and he was walking around when I got back upstairs. I'm not sure what caused this, it's been pretty hot in my bedroom, could that possibly have caused it? Also, should I take him to the vet?

Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Heat can cause neurological problems, but usually only over 85 degrees.

But yes, he needs to see a vet. That's not normal behavior, and he needs a check up. Just be sure to see an exotic vet, not a small animal vet. "Small animal" means dogs and cats, and those vets are not usually qualified to treat guinea pigs.

nmiller

Cavy Gazer
Does he need to be taken to the vet immediately? I don't think I'm able to take him today, and the soonest is probably tomorrow

Thanks

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Does he need to be taken to the vet immediately? I don't think I'm able to take him today, and the soonest is probably tomorrow

Thanks

If your bedroom is hot, you need to do something for him too cool himself, if he survives this. You can lay ceramic tiles in the cage for them to lay on. Wrap frozen water bottles in fleece for them to lay next to. or if you have some extra grids bent to and zip tie them together to make a tunnel and cover, lay froze water bottles on top or ice packs( non toxic) I prefer water bottles. The cool air drops down over them. You should also run a fan to circulate the air in the room.
100_0715.jpg100_0678.jpg

nmiller

Cavy Gazer
If your bedroom is hot, you need to do something for him too cool himself, if he survives this. You can lay ceramic tiles in the cage for them to lay on. Wrap frozen water bottles in fleece for them to lay next to. or if you have some extra grids bent to and zip tie them together to make a tunnel and cover, lay froze water bottles on top or ice packs( non toxic) I prefer water bottles. The cool air drops down over them. You should also run a fan to circulate the air in the room.
View attachment 82379View attachment 82380
Thanks for the help. I'll try one of these tonight. He's just been resting in his igloo today, I closed the curtains and made sure the room was quiet for him because I read that's supposed to keep them from having a second seizure. When I go in to check up on him he gets up to check my hand but doesn't leave his igloo, and lets me pet him while he lays on his side. I've also had the fan on all day

Thanks

lisa325

Cavy Slave
How is the little guy doing now, did you manage to get him in to see the vet?

nmiller

Cavy Gazer
How is the little guy doing now, did you manage to get him in to see the vet?

I think he's doing better, he is not sleeping all day anymore and is coming out of his igloo to get food and water pretty often.
I haven't been able to take him into the vet because they aren't open on weekends and it's really far away. I'm going to keep a close eye on him

Thanks

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I hope the little guy is doing well now :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.