Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Feeding all at once or some throughout the day?

lulajane

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to know if ya'll fed your piggies their veggies and fruits (if giving them some) all at one time or if you give them a few things in the morning & then a few things in the afternoon? I've been giving my new ones pellets in the morning, then of course keeping their hay filled & then giving them their big bowl of veggies in the evening. But I've been wondering if it would be better to give them some throughout the day so they don't get hungry.

Swiss cheese

Cavy Slave
The more often (small portions, of course), the better. You should feed at least three times, and the first feeding of the day is always hay. I know of people feeding ten times, but I guess they don't work outside the house, otherwise it's just impossible. I think three times is just fine.

lulajane

Cavy Slave
Well I learned they have hay 24/7 no matter what. What I meant was breaking their veggies/fruits into a couple meals versus me putting it in there all at one time.

GeekPrincess

Cavy Slave
I do two meals, one in the late
morning and one in the evening. If I give everything at once they can't finish it right away and I don't like leaving fresh food in the cage.

If I'm going to be gone all day, like days I have class and a closing shift they get almost all their veggies at once and when I get home I give them the rest, but this way I know they had their veggies if I get home and immediately crash or something.

ShadeyPig

Cavy Slave
I give most veggies in the morning then a top up in the afternoon.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I treat with veggies through out the day.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I feed 1/8 cup of pellets in the morning and at dinner time, a small amount of veggies in the morning, at lunch and at dinner time and they always have unlimited hay. My husband comes home for lunch everyday so on the days I work, I prepare a veggie plate for him to feed them.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
The more often (small portions, of course), the better. You should feed at least three times, and the first feeding of the day is always hay. I know of people feeding ten times, but I guess they don't work outside the house, otherwise it's just impossible. I think three times is just fine.

Hay should be available all the time. I fill hay racks MANY times throughout the day. There is not a specific time or amount they should be fed. Three times a day is not necessary. It's up to your pigs to decide honestly.

My pigs don't like eating in the morning for whatever reason. If I put veggies in when I first get up, they sit there and go to waste. I feed around noon, half a cup each. Then I feed again at night, half a cup again. They used to only want meals at night. If you're just starting out, give a couple pieces of veggies they are familiar with a couple times a day, if they eat it, then feed at that time, if they don't then don't. Let THEM decide.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hay should be available all the time. I fill hay racks MANY times throughout the day. There is not a specific time or amount they should be fed. Three times a day is not necessary. It's up to your pigs to decide honestly.

My pigs don't like eating in the morning for whatever reason. If I put veggies in when I first get up, they sit there and go to waste. I feed around noon, half a cup each. Then I feed again at night, half a cup again. They used to only want meals at night. If you're just starting out, give a couple pieces of veggies they are familiar with a couple times a day, if they eat it, then feed at that time, if they don't then don't. Let THEM decide.

I think they set their clocks around our schedules. We're really consistent here. Since we work, we get up at the same time every day and if we happen to be off due to a holiday or whatever, they loudly let us know that they're expecting food. I used to work part time, second shift so someone was home all day here. When I switched to an early morning day job. our guinea pigs would get really loud every day when my husband got home at lunch time since I had always fed them at that time. I don't think a certain schedule is as important as consistency. I think they like routines.

lulajane

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone! I too have noticed that giving them the whole veggie meal in the evening leaves them being unable to finish it all. I'm definitely going to try splitting it up through the day.

Swiss cheese

Cavy Slave
I think they set their clocks around our schedules. We're really consistent here. Since we work, we get up at the same time every day and if we happen to be off due to a holiday or whatever, they loudly let us know that they're expecting food. I used to work part time, second shift so someone was home all day here. When I switched to an early morning day job. our guinea pigs would get really loud every day when my husband got home at lunch time since I had always fed them at that time. I don't think a certain schedule is as important as consistency. I think they like routines.
Totally agree. However you do it, stick to it, if possible.

In regards to the hay. I wrote that the first thing they should get in the morning is hay. Of course, they should have hay 24/7. But have you ever noticed that they always prefer the newly added hay? Mine do. So should their stomachs be empty in the morning when they wake up, fresh hay is used to get their intestines going. This way it's unlikely they develop gas from the veggies. The perfect way to do it is 30min before the veggies. But if this is too time-consuming, don't worry too much and just offer the hay with the vegetables.
Just never let them go hungry.

lulajane

Cavy Slave
Totally agree. However you do it, stick to it, if possible.

In regards to the hay. I wrote that the first thing they should get in the morning is hay. Of course, they should have hay 24/7. But have you ever noticed that they always prefer the newly added hay? Mine do. So should their stomachs be empty in the morning when they wake up, fresh hay is used to get their intestines going. This way it's unlikely they develop gas from the veggies. The perfect way to do it is 30min before the veggies. But if this is too time-consuming, don't worry too much and just offer the hay with the vegetables.
Just never let them go hungry.
Sorry, now I understand how you meant that! ;)

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
I do veggies 3-4 times a day, hay 24/7 (but I usually have to fill the hay rack twice/three times a day).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.