Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food What are your piggies favourite foods?

mellie_88

Cavy Slave
Yesterday after I gave my girls their dinner, they posed for a lovely photo.
This got me thinking about what everyone else piggies favourite foods are.

Mine will pretty much eat anything, some of it just gets left till last!

But their all time favourites seem to be:
Parsley (this doesn't last 1 minute!),
Carrot,
All types of lettuce,
Celery,
And cucumber.

My mom had boys when I was younger and they all loved beetroot but my girls aren't keen.

Here are my girls enjoying lunch, their names are (l-r) Brownie, Smudge and Buttercup.

Attachments

Screenshot_2013-06-12-14-30-30.jpg

EmPiggieFan

Cavy Slave
My girls like similar things to yours.

Ruby absolutely adores celery and parsley blink and you miss it. Patch loves lettuce and pepper. They both used to love courgette/zucchini but now they don't really want to go near it.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Felix devours melons and tomato, while Izzy is all for anything leafy.

RandomCavy

Cavy Slave
Bolt LOVES Carrots! anything else is ok to him, but he goes nuts for carrots :p

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Carrots, yellow bell peppers and romaine lettuce...the peppers seem to be favored more though.

mellie_88

Cavy Slave
Mine don't seem to like melon or peppers, bought them a pepper for a treat and they didn't even finish the tiny bit I gave them!

Think its nearly dinner time for mine, they're all waiting around the bowl, squeaking away just in case I didn't notice them!

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
I have a pig that hates carrots. He's special needs and was raised in a 10 gallon tank with no hay or veggies before I got him and has some neurological issues. My two others will do anything for watermelon rind. Not Ozzy, he seems to think veggies and fruits are going to eat him and runs in terror. It is a good thing he loves the oxbow daily c tablets.

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
My pigs all time favorite is romaine lettuce! They also love parsley, too. Monkey also really loves cherry tomatoes, but Honey doesn't seem to enjoy them. lol

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Pickle's favorite ever is cherry tomatoes! He goes absolutely nuts for them! Bird's favorites are parsley and cilantro, which are rare treats in my house (cant stand the smell of cilantro, yuck!) Sparky's favorite was radicchio but he would only popcorn for hay :)

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Marble loves bell peppers, parsley, cilantro, tomatoes, apples, broccoli, and dandelion.

Twix's favorites are carrots, bell peppers, cucumber, parsley, cilantro, dandelion, and romaine lettuce.

NJPKL

Cavy Slave
I have a pig that hates carrots. He's special needs and was raised in a 10 gallon tank with no hay or veggies before I got him and has some neurological issues. My two others will do anything for watermelon rind. Not Ozzy, he seems to think veggies and fruits are going to eat him and runs in terror. It is a good thing he loves the oxbow daily c tablets.

Do you remove the skin on the watermelon rind before feeding, or is the skin ok? I want to give my piggies rind but safely. :)

NormaS

Cavy Slave
My pigs love green leaf lettuce, green and red bell peppers, parsley and cilantro. They also enjoy, as treats, apples, oranges and blueberries. Their absolute favorite are the peppers, it's the first thing they will eat!

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave
T.J. and Ginger both love romaine! They also enjoy carrots and sweet peppers.

Stephanie Bo

Cavy Slave
Felix devours melons and tomato, while Izzy is all for anything leafy.

I also have a piggie named Felix!
He loves Romaine, Cucumber and Watermelon
He'll also eat carrots and parsley STEMS only(He wont touch the leaves)

NJPKL

Cavy Slave
I also have a piggie named Felix!
He loves Romaine, Cucumber and Watermelon
He'll also eat carrots and parsley STEMS only(He wont touch the leaves)

LOL I love how are piggies are so picky. We spoil them rotten and love every minute of it! :crackup:

rayvensmoon

Cavy Slave
When I first adopted my girls, I was told "they only like carrots, not lettuce or anything else"...and it's true, they looooooove baby carrots! But I slyly mixed some cilantro in with their hay and they ended up gobbling that up, now it's also a favourite though I limit it to every other day. They also love leaf lettuce (so I'm not sure what the heck kind of lettuce they tried to feed them before!), parsley, all colours of peppers, jicama, and cucumber. I love watching them eat the cilantro stems, it's so cute and funny watching it disappear like a strand of spaghetti!! lol

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig JJ seems to love orange bell pepper and cilantro. He just gobbles it up. I only give him cilantro every other day and bell pepper once a week.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Cilantro, carrots, red lettuce, watermelon and apples. They never touched the mango, beet, they ate a little celery. Yellow or green peppers go in the pellet dish.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@photosavvy actually bell peppers should be fed EVERYDAY ! Guinea pigs are like humans, they can not make their own vitamin C so they have to get it from diet. 1/8 of a bell pepper per day will give him his vitamin C. Green is best because it's lowest in sugar, but yellow, orange, and red are okay every now and then too.

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
@photosavvy actually bell peppers should be fed EVERYDAY ! Guinea pigs are like humans, they can not make their own vitamin C so they have to get it from diet. 1/8 of a bell pepper per day will give him his vitamin C. Green is best because it's lowest in sugar, but yellow, orange, and red are okay every now and then too.

I feed him other vegeatbles every day I just like to use that one as a treat for him because it is one of his favorites I like to use it to try and teach him tricks etc..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.