Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Wet bottom

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry, my bad. I removed the spam post about rugs, but failed to remove [MENTION=45556]Thunder[/MENTION]'s response. Ignore the rugs.

Rockchick10110

Cavy Gazer
Update

It really confused me did that 😂😂

So we've just got back from the vets who tested the urine, apprently there's blood and protein in there... They looked to see if she had stones but couldn't see any... Apparently she has loads of sludge in her bladder and they think the kidneys aren't working properly either... Next step is a blood test and/or urine test.. Poor thing is only 3 years old. We've now been prescribed a bactrim antibiotic thank god.. All this stuff gives me a headache..

Thunder

Cavy Slave
Did the vet give you probiotics?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Re: Update

Apparently she has loads of sludge in her bladder

I will share a personal experience regarding sludge in the bladder. I had a sow who had a stone that we could see in her urethra and the Vet assumed that she was in the process of passing it. She also had loads of sludge in her bladder. X-ray taken on a Friday confirmed this. She was scheduled for an ultrasound on the following Tuesday. Over the weekend, I syringed copious amounts of water and unflavored Pedialyte (adds good electrolytes) to her in an attempt to move large quantities of fluid through her bladder and possibly flush out the sludge.

Comes Tuesday and the ultrasound revealed that the stone was lodged in the wall of her urethra......it was still there when she crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

However, there was NO sludge in her bladder! You may want to try this with your sow........it certainly won't hurt her and could do a world of good. If you're lucky, your cavy may just have a UTI. However, generally we see bacteria and cells if it is a UTI. Blood and protein may indicate that her kidneys aren't functioning properly.

All the best......please keep us posted.

Rockchick10110

Cavy Gazer
Did the vet give you probiotics?

Hello, I've already got pro biotics already.. I've been giving That with the baytril... I will continue to give pro biotics when I start the bactrim stuff.. She still smells a bit wiffy so they are defintley needed.. I'm not sure how you get rid of sludge though.. I'm assuming the antibiotics are just for the infection rather than getting rid of sludge...

Rockchick10110

Cavy Gazer

I will share a personal experience regarding sludge in the bladder. I had a sow who had a stone that we could see in her urethra and the Vet assumed that she was in the process of passing it. She also had loads of sludge in her bladder. X-ray taken on a Friday confirmed this. She was scheduled for an ultrasound on the following Tuesday. Over the weekend, I syringed copious amounts of water and unflavored Pedialyte (adds good electrolytes) to her in an attempt to move large quantities of fluid through her bladder and possibly flush out the sludge.

Comes Tuesday and the ultrasound revealed that the stone was lodged in the wall of her urethra......it was still there when she crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

However, there was NO sludge in her bladder! You may want to try this with your sow........it certainly won't hurt her and could do a world of good. If you're lucky, your cavy may just have a UTI. However, generally we see bacteria and cells if it is a UTI. Blood and protein may indicate that her kidneys aren't functioning properly.

All the best......please keep us posted.

Aaah right so the electrolyte stuff works to get rid of the sludge??

The vet did say as I left that she thinks the kidneys aren't working properly.. Not a right lot you can do about that is there? ������ I think it's both to be honest, infection and kidneys.. Can fix one but not the other..

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

Aaah right so the electrolyte stuff works to get rid of the sludge??

No, that's not what I said. The goal is to syringe copious amounts of fluid through her to flush out the urinary tract. The electrolytes serve to keep her hydrated and support the kidney function. Water will serve the same purpose, but I've never met a cavy who didn't like unflavored pedialyte and you could mix that with water.

Rockchick10110

Cavy Gazer

Aah right sorry, I see... Didn't quite get that then. She drinks for England at the moment but I've been giving her probiotocs and syringing water in as well...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.