Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Intrested in getting my piggy a buddy!

barbklis

Cavy Slave
Well I am recently a new guinea pig owner and am still adjusting to these adorable pets. I love my guinea pig so much it was intended for my daughters birthday and i have fallen for him more then she has! Well he is an only piggy in a store purchased cage, and ive recently noticed hes just sitting under his water bottle not doing much. He eats good and drinks good and his stool and urine look good. but im interested in getting him a buddy and a cavy cage. With the buddy issue im worried im gonna adopt a piggy or buy a piggy and they wont get along then i've got 2 lonley piggies. this makes me nervious about the second piggy issue. my piggy is a male and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this issue and what the chances are in my piggy not liking a buddy and how i would introduce him. PLEASE HELP ME!

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome, we'd love to see pictures of your pig.

Please, please, please adopt. I'm pretty sure if you express that concern to the rescue you are looking to adopt from, they'll let you bring your pig in for a meeting.

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Before you get a second piggy, I would recommend making a larger cage first. 2x4 C&C is minimum requirements for two boys but a 2x5 is even better:)
Try going to a rescue to adopt your piggy. They will usually let you bring your own pig for introductions to see if they get along well enough or not. Just remember, boars need more space than girls. When my two started fighting, I just expanded the cage and now they are just fine!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
A 2x4 C&C is the min. requirement for two girls actually. The cage stats on the main page are supposedly based off of sow cage requirements. For boys you need to always go up at least one size. I would either make a 2x5 or a 2x6 for 2 boars. And remember, bigger is always better. :)

As far as if they're going to get along or not, it really just depends on the pigs. As [MENTION=25452]2198lindsey[/MENTION] said, the rescue should let you bring in your piggy for an introduction. Just make sure to call ahead and ask. :)

barbklis

Cavy Slave
About how much does a cage that size cost and how big is it. do

they ha e tops?

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Whoops. Sorry about that! I learned that last night about the chart, It still hasn't sunk in yet I guess :eek:hmy:

xanima

Cavy Slave
What usually works best is male-female combination. He had to be neutred of course.
Personally I would never go somewhere for the introduction of my cavies. Because in the new place they might just be to stressed to react in any way even if they don´t like the other pig at all.
But I think a good rescue shelter would (or at least) should take back its pig if they don´t get along.

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
You make C&C cages yourself. The cage part is made of grids that you can get by buying a box of storage cubes. I got mine from Kmart but you can also find them in places such as Bed Bath and Beyond. They go for an average of $18-$21. Each grid is about 14 inches long. The coroplast is sometimes a little trickier to find. This will be the base of your cage. You can find large sheets at places like Home Depot or at a local sign shop. From what I understand, coroplast is pretty cheap as well.
I don't have coroplast just yet, so I use a shower curtain for the bottom with towels and fleece on top.
As for it having a top, well, thats up to you. You can either use the grids and make a top, or use shelving, which seems more sturdier.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
About how much does a cage that size cost and how big is it. do

they ha e tops?

The cost varies depending on where you get the supplies from. If you have a sign shop near you then they should have coroplast (corrugated plastic sheets as they would probably call them) for fairly cheap. Home depot sells coroplast. When i recently bought some from there they only had 3x3 sheets and they were 10$ each.

Grids are a little pricey in my opinion. Here are a few links to where you can get grids:
Whitmor White Wire Storage Cubes, Four Cubes Interlocked - Walmart.com
https://www.sears.com/stor-floor-st...p-00913332000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
(broken link removed)

You need to make sure that the grids you get are 9x9's like the ones i linked to.
You can also buy grids and coro from this site's store:
Grids and Connectors for Cubes and Coroplast Cages
Coroplast Bases for C&C Cages

Or instead of buying them separately from the store you can buy a whole C&C cage:
Cubes and Coroplast Cages for Guinea Pigs

You can make a lid out of grids if you need one. They also sell flip-fold covers for C&C's in the guineapigcages store.

Last edited:

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Oops double post.

Last edited:

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
If your going to get another Guinea Pig, You should get A C&C Cage, But I would recommend making it yourself. Its to much money on here for C&C Cage, so I made mine. If you want to make it yourself, here is the link https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/83135-cage-questions.html . Second, If you do get A another Guinea Pig, You could just break the cage in Half. Third, I would Check with the people who go him from. Hope this helps enough!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.