Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Bella Rose hasn't eaten much at all

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I don't know what's wrong. Is she having an off day? She ate very little of her favorite veggies. At what point do you use critical care. Up to yesterday she ate everything and then some.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Hope she survives the night. Eating some mushy pellets in a syringe not very willingly. Is eating some of her fav, lettuce. Syringed her some water. Appt at 9am an hour away. No store around me has critical care. Pray for bella.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Artista, I certainly will pray for your precious Bella. My pig Teddi has had episodes like that. I once gave her a tiny bit of spinach and it must have upset her stomach. She ate very little for over 24 hours and then by the next day she was back to normal. I will keep both you and Bella in my thoughts.

Thanks so much. She's perked up some. I put her on the couch next to me on fleece blankets. I have no idea how much mush to give. The larger syrnge never works so I use the 3 ml ones. She has hay in front of her that so far she plays with. She's eaten some lettuce. Trying to figure when to let her rest and when to force feed. Doing the best I can with no experience with this. She's trying to flip her hut so she's got some strength. No real poops. A clump of squish ones.

At the very least I'll get critical care and hopefully an easier syrynge.

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pulling hard for little Bella Rose.

Sometimes my boys have had off days where food didn't seem to be much of a priority. Just yesterday, I was worried about Scooter because he seemed to be having one of those days. He gained a little during the day, but was down just a little this morning. He SEEMS to be ok this morning, perky and playful but I of course still worry.

Keep us updated on how she's doing. Scooter and I are thinking of you two.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Pulling hard for little Bella Rose.

Sometimes my boys have had off days where food didn't seem to be much of a priority. Just yesterday, I was worried about Scooter because he seemed to be having one of those days. He gained a little during the day, but was down just a little this morning. He SEEMS to be ok this morning, perky and playful but I of course still worry.

Keep us updated on how she's doing. Scooter and I are thinking of you two.

Thank you. I slept maybe an hour. I sleep on my couch and her pen is right at the end of it. She was in her hay area I created seemingly munching some. She stood up a couple times to get hay from the top of her hay bag. I can't tell how much she ate. Her cage has hay and pellets scattered for ease. It's 3 hours till her appt. She doesn't mind the long drive but when she gets back home she hides and ignores food and water for awhile probably because it was too much for her. At least she looks the same and not worse. I'll post when I get back. Thanks again to you and Kelsie.

Artista

Cavy Slave
She just came in her litter box, got some scritches, ate some hay and left to her hay bag area. She looks ok. Tempted to bag the vet and just watch her because I know when we get back it'll be a few hours of hiding or sleeping to recover.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Her poops in the carefresh litter. Soft squishy stuck together a couple long. She's active now moving about.

20191205_064014.jpg

Artista

Cavy Slave
Took 2 photos.

20191205_064014.jpg

Artista

Cavy Slave
Decided to wait and see. I'm thinking I may have given too much lettuce the night before. Not sure. Ordered critical care apple banana flavor since she loves sweet. Gets here tomorrow. She's eaten hay and is back to her usual. Figure if all she eats today is hay that's fine. I'll have the cc by tomorrow night. It was a nightmare mess trying to syringe mushed pellets. She doesn't like it. I'll update. Thanks for ts & ps for my baby.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Too much lettuce would definitely give her soft mushy poops like that. May have upset her tummy as well.

Also a good idea to keep the CC on hand just in case. Pellet slurry will do in a pinch but CC is just so much easier to deal with (unless you have an uncooperative pig lol).

Glad to hear shes feeling better!

Artista

Cavy Slave
Too much lettuce would definitely give her soft mushy poops like that. May have upset her tummy as well.

Also a good idea to keep the CC on hand just in case. Pellet slurry will do in a pinch but CC is just so much easier to deal with (unless you have an uncooperative pig lol).

Glad to hear shes feeling better!

She ate a small piece of red pepper and a bit of cilantro. Her eating hay is back. Pellets a bit. Started drinking water again. Her poops getting back to normal I think will take more time. At least I'm getting poops. I dare think she's on the mend. Every night I do give her a decent amount of veggies. Probably too much but she's a great beggar! It's been fine for a long time. So that was weird.

What pisses me off is if a store is selling gps and other exotics, where is the critical care??? I was beside myself last night when the Petsmart here didn't have it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Artista

I know Amazon carries Critical Care, but other than that I believe (at least it is where I live) only available at a veterinarian. There are absolutely no stores in Canada that carry it.

Artista

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=27627]Artista[/MENTION]

I know Amazon carries Critical Care, but other than that I believe (at least it is where I live) only available at a veterinarian. There are absolutely no stores in Canada that carry it.

I guess I don't get why. It's not medication needing a dr approval. I think they don't know what it is and/or don't see it important on the cat dog level.

Artista

Cavy Slave
The first thing I did this morning was come to the forum to see how Bella did during the night. I'm so happy that she is feeling better. I think at times, because they just love to eat, that we often forget how little their tummies are and how easily they can be upset. I would have never thought that such a tiny piece of spinach would make Teddi feel so terrible. It was the first time my pigs had ever had it, and it was the last time too.

It just drains our energy when our pigs are not feeling well. I hope that you are able to get some rest today. I'm sending both you and Bella lots of positive energy.

You and guinea pig papa know. Mine was hopefully 1 night and I'm bushed! But can't sleep. I'll rest my eyes though. :)

Artista

Cavy Slave
She's back to normal! Her poops are still soft but not all are clumped so progress. I gave her peppers and radicchio since I don't think they affect poop. Not sure but I'm a sap and wanted to give her something.

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
She's back to normal! Her poops are still soft but not all are clumped so progress. I gave her peppers and radicchio since I don't think they affect poop. Not sure but I'm a sap and wanted to give her something.
Good to hear. Piggys are very adept at eliciting that response from their human.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Glad to read that Bella Rose is doing better.

I had one experience with Ally, a piggy that I was hoping would be a new companion to Lily. Ally was a food hog and ate all her own veggies as well as a portion of Lily's. She ended up with soft poop like the pictures you posted of Bella's poops. There are a number of threads in this site's archives dealing with this topic, which essentially was to remove all veggies and just feed hay and pellets. Once the poop was normal, you would slowly reintroduce vegetables, one veggie at a time, two days apart. It took me more than 2 weeks to get Ally back on a normal vegetable diet because I reintroduced the veggies too quickly and she went back to the soft poop stage again.

When Ally had her 2nd episode of soft poop, I ended up taking her to the vet and he approved of the slow reintroduction of the veggies. Additionally the vet suggested that I buy organics for the piggies as much as possible. If not buying organics, make sure and rinse the vegetables very thoroughly, due to the pesticides that easily affect the piggy gut.

Just like you, I ended up sleeping on the couch to keep an eye on Ally. In my case, I only have a love seat so it was extremely uncomfortable to sleep on for several nights.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Warms my heart to see our devotion and love not justs for gps but other exotics too. Rats, mice, birds... all lives matter. I kept green cheek conures, cockatiels and even a rosella. What they sell in cages and supplies sucks for them too. I went to gasp petsmart last night. Bella chewed through her grass hut. Time to replace it. The gp isle was gone. They are still selling gps! Found a small section with not even the traditional pigloos there. So anyone getting a gp there has even less selection than the last time I got her hut there. I was so angry and sad. I really hope that means they are becoming a cat and dog store. So I just ordered another twig tunnel on chewy so she'll have 2 to move around. Thankfully bella is easy like this. Didn't complain when I took that dead hut out.

Kelsie- if it wasnt for my gp there wouldn't be any of her veggies always on hand. I got that too in sprouts one time. What do you do with dandelion leaves. Give it as a treat to my gp. The looks on the faces is gold!

I follow Saskia on fb and youtube at the LA gp rescue. Scotty is a volunteer who has Scottys animals channel. He gives great tips. Ironically yesterday was soft malformed poops. I had forgotten about benebac. It works great for this. Replenishes gut flora and firms up the poop. I now have this and critical care coming to always have on hand. I stress more about her than any bad side effects I have from chemo and related pills. Fam thinks I'm nuts. Whatever..

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh, so good to come home and see some good news!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.