Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea pig bunk bed diy

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
So was thinking of adding a bunk bed to my cage as one of my boys likes to jump onto of the hay rack that sits about halfway up the grid so was doing some research and found the one I like but don't want to make a whole thing that just sits in the cage and takes away from their running space so here's my question:

If I would to zip tie a grid about 4 squares up in the corner of my cage would it be supported enough to withstand a piggy jumping up on it or would i need some type of small support on the corner that won't be attached to anything?

I have two of my corners with grids on the top to accommodate the two fleece forests I have and withstands quite a bit of weight that I place on it from either my hand held flexx vacuum or even my hand with weight so figured it could hold up a piggy as I'm sure they weigh way less then my black and decker hand vac. I just want to make sure it's not enclosed all the way around like most are except the front part so none of my piggies can be trapped in it and fights happen.

Here's a image from google on what I mean:
4889c3c25d791f89af1fce90e964368e.jpg

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
Sorry I accidentally put this in the wrong section [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think you'll need to support that outside corner somehow.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
You definitely will need a support. I would bend (or cut, if you have the tools) a grid in half to attach the bunk bed platform to the grid above it. That would give support for a whole side while leaving it open underneath. If you wanted to have two open sides on the platform, you could just use a dowel or something to hold up that corner.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
Thanks @pigger123 that's what I was thinking, I just made one of the style from another user that used 5 grids to see how that will work but so far doesn't look like it will be good. So after a few days of seeing if it'll work then I might switch to get a square dowel rod to use in the corner so I have two opening on the bottom then the one I have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.