Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Welfare Lazy Caretakers *Neglect*

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
That is horrible, to say the least. @MommyOfMany I'm so glad you're speaking up about this disgusting animal neglect. I come from a household where my brother was supposed to pith a live frog in biology class, but instead he stole it and brought it home, so I believe frogs have as much right as other critters to live in humane, happy conditions.

Does the Hallmark Facebook page let you add comments? If so, I'd post about this situation. Even if they pull it, some people will see it. If you're on Twitter, tweeting using their handle is another good way to publicly embarrass them. Sites like Ripoff Report are good to bring attention to things like this, too.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy I did post to FB and tell my friends about it. I do intend to confront the store owner if the conditions remain the way they were yesterday.

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
poor frogs...i would buy them just to get them out of that store since the workers dont have time for them

that wouldn't help overly much. They would just order more to replace them.

megziepoo

Cavy Slave
That is just so disgusting! How can someone allow a living thing to live in conditions like that. And why wud you even want that on your shelves??? Do they really think thats going to make people want to buy them??? And I hate when people say they are "too busy" to do something at their job. Half the time when you walk into a store the employees are just standing around talking to eachother. This seriously makes me mad!! Like wud it hurt you to maybe stay a few extra minutes after your ohh so busy shift and maintain them? If they wud just take a few minutes everyday to maintain these frogs then this disgust wud never happen!! I used to work in retail and we did not lock up that store at night until it was presentable for our costumers the next morning. There is NO excuse for this!! Sorry thats my rant for the day. Im glad you contacted hallmark

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
I went back today and the entire shelf was cleared of the frogs- not a single one left. They kept the sign up that said something about picking up the frog tanks, so I feel and hope that they took them down to clean. I'll definitely be checking it out again tomorrow.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
I plan on going back today around 5:00, I'll take pictures and post them if anything has changed from empty shelves.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
I also sent this off in response to their earlier reply:
"Thank you for replying, but seeing this at the Hallmark store made your entire company look unprofessional in the way they care for the animals. It would be a good choice to advise this store to take more care in the future, as seeing the algae-filled aquariums made me not want to shop at any of your locations (corporately owned or not), ever. This could make sales drop severely in all stores, especially if animal rights groups get involved."

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
I posted about this on the facebook page and link this page to a post on my profile to encourge people to stop buying there products.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
@Tensonstar thank you so much! They were still gone today. I will keep checking back with the store/here.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
They don't see the frogs as a living creature ..what they see is the $$$ they can get for it...we had a experince with PETLAND ..we went there one time and witnesed a emplye toss a hamster back into its cage after it bit him...we did a compalint with the head office...and a second time we went there and they had a small baby dwarf hamster that we were thinking of taking home and when we went back the next day we could not find it ...we asked the sales lady and she said thats what left of it..the father hamster ate it this morning...I was so upset and really angry with her attitude and did a complaint again....the store closed down 2 weeks later.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
Success! We went back today and everybody was algae-free :) 391776_4787905130527_467289282_n.jpg405976_4787905770543_990454191_n.jpg422292_4787909250630_2122678274_n.jpg603202_4787907730592_1564656720_n.jpg

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
Good job! I am sure those poor frogs feel so much better! Give your self a pat on the back :) because of you those frogs are probably enjoying a better quality of life, even if in small tanks.

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
That's just god awful. This is why I refuse to go by the fish section in Walmart. Honestly, it takes maybe 10 minutes to properly clean such a small tank. And what is Hallmark doing selling live animals anyway?

No one goes to Hallmark in search of a pet. The frogs will just end up as an impulse buy and continue to be neglected in their new homes after a week or so. Or worse, they'll be flushed or thrown outside.

My aunt bought a beta on impulse and was going to flush it down the toilet but I made her surrender it to me. It doesn't matter how small the creature is, it doesn't deserve that.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
The tanks are small, but at least they are now clean :)

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
Wow how can you feel comfortable with leaving a helpless animal on your shelves in filth!!?? So glad they listened to you and cleaned the tanks.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Wow how can you feel comfortable with leaving a helpless animal on your shelves in filth!!?? So glad they listened to you and cleaned the tanks.

I just saw today... there is no excuse for neglect..it is plain downright cruelty and 'not having time' does not justify at all. MAKE the time!! There is so much cruelty in this world and its all unnecessary & unacceptable. I am ashamed to say in our so-called country of animal lovers its just as bad. Thank God for all who care and stand up to be the animals' voices. Its like someone keeping a dog chained to a tree without exercise,company,shelter & water & strangely thinking its fine. Like 'hello,is there anybody in there? I have very little money but commonsense(Ihope!) and commitment to do what I can for the animals I have chosen to live with me. there are so so many people around the world who should NEVER have animals.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Are you sure that they were the same frogs and they didn't just pitch the old ones in the dumpster and order new ones?

Yeah its weird that hallmark would be carrying animals too! I would never buy an animal from there or walmart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.