Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) money, money, money... and dogs

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Hello!

As some of you may know, I am still working on getting two sows eventually. First, however, I need to convince my dad. To do this, I have researched till all I think about are guinea pigs, measured a space for them, cleaned out a drawer for supplies, the whole nine yards- I could go ON and ON. My next and semi final step is to earn all the money I would need to buy supplies for pigs, and the pigs.

For one, I volunteer at the humane society at the area in the small animal section, and also walk dogs around their trail. I was sorta thinking that during the winter, (and the cooler fall months) I could walk dogs for people who don't like cold weather. This would include a short playtime and a medium long walk. I would have to purchase a spare leash, but yet a small price to pay for the money I could possibly make.

My plan for the dog walking would be: advertise, meet dog and client, walk!! My only issue would honestly be how much to charge. I am pretty sure that there are no competitors in my area. I want to be cheap, but make money in the process. Any suggestions?

~rsgymjam

Also here is my plan for the guinea pig (from the point I am at onward): make money, type up precise care sheet on guinea pigs including veggie/fruit chart and weekly schedule on care and cage cleaning, wait until April*.

Suggestions for anything on care, housing, etc. are GREATLY appreciated.

April*: I am currently in competitive gymnastics at a highs level. This takes up a ton of my time now. I am waiting until April because I have decided that this is my last year in the sport, allowing me to have more time after I quit. April is when the last of our competitions are over.

Cometandkuza

Cavy Slave
Hello there! I'm a new guinea pig owner as well, but I can tell you some of the things that have worked well for me! :)

Fleece. its amazing, at first i was very skeptical of fleece and used things such as shredded news paper, wood chips, care fresh and other brands of bedding. But for me, nothing works as well as fleece does for alot of reasons! it keeps the smell to an absolute minimum compared to any other bedding I ever used. The clean up I also find a lot simpler and has to be done less frequently, and I feel It's a much more clean environment for my piggies :) It also saves you alot of money! I have about a 20 square foot cages and it cost me 45$ to get enough fleece for the whole cage. you only have to spend that money once though, apposed to constantly replacing it. I just find there is alot of benefits! :)

Hope this helps, and good luck :)

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Thank you! That didn't quite answer my question, but thanks anyways!

I have research he'd fleece and have decided to go with that. ;)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Dog walkers in my area usually charge 10 dollars to walk the dog once a day. You may also consider starting a pooper scooper service.

Brizy

Cavy Slave
Do you have access to a vehicle? You may consider also offering pet-sitting service for people in your area going on vacation. This is where you would go to their house, check on the dog/cat/whatever and walk it, play with it, feed it, etc. As long as you seem sincere, honest, and have a reliable way to get to the house, it could be a nice way to earn some money from people who would rather avoid the expensive kennel fee and have their pet stay at home where they will be happier anyways. Also, some people may have small animals or reptiles that they don't have the option of keeping at a kennel when they go on vacation. As far as costs, just ask whatever you think is fair for your time and travel expenses, but is reasonable enough to entice people. For a point of reference, some local pet sitters ask about $15 per house visit with a small additional fee per additional animal. A pet sitter job would take more effort to set up than simply walking, but if walking isn't cutting it, consider this as well!

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Thank you!!!! How would you consider advertising?

I think I will charge $10 for one dog to walk, $15 for two. Does this sound reasonable?
Give me an answer based on if you had/have a dog(s), would you pay this much for a walk?

GeekPrincess

Cavy Slave
I think that's a nice rate, seems reasonable and I would pay it if I was unable to walk my dog myself.

As for fleece - watch fabric stores in your area and only buy when it's on sale. Or if you have a coupon. I got. $100 of fleece for $40 on a sale.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
I do happen to have a few fleece blankets lying around, so I will probably use those. Otherwise, yes I will watch for sales and go to Goodwill, etc. to find cheap supplies.

As for advertising, still looking for suggestions!!!!!!!

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Okay thank you! I was thinking of making a sign with flyers and put it in the parkway median. That way as people are walking their pups, they might see my sign and take a flyer. I would take my mom with for meeting the client and dog.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
How old are you?

If you have a local dog park, make up cards to hand out. Also the animal hospitals in your area and walking around your neighborhood hand cards to local people. Professional dog walkers in my area get around $15- $18. for a half an hour dog walk. Depending on how old you are I would say $10 for 1/2 hour to an hour walk. Remember, when it's hot or very cold the dogs shouldn't be out for very long and you might not want to be walking that long either! Also, you need to consider your travel time to a persons house. Part of that money you earn also includes you having to get back and forth from their house so don't go too low on your prices.

Most people with pets have their own leashes and it should be their responsibility to provide it. If for some reason it breaks or the animal slips the collar and gets away etc, better it be their equipment that failed, not yours...

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Okay thank you! I am 13, so I would go and meet the person and dog for the first time with my mom.

SioCat

Cavy Slave
I do think you should buy your own slip leads. I would use the owners collar and leash, but I would also put my own slip lead on as an extra precaution.

If something happened to my dog while in your care, it wouldn't matter to me whose equipment failed. I would be devastated and furious. Also, I do think that because of your age you do need to work a little harder to come across as professional and as somebody to be taken seriously.

For now, you could make some nice fliers with your number at the bottom. The kind where people can just tear the number off. I would give them to small pet supply stores and even grooming shops. I would hang them up at dog parks and coffee shop bulletin boards. Pretty much any place that let me.

I think your prices are about right. If you are interested in providing other services, you can create a "menu" to show clients.

Kitty Cat Play time(20 min/$5)
Doggy brushing (15 min/$5)
Litter box clean up ($3)

That kind of thing. People who are willing to pay to have someone walk their dog will usually pay for little extras like that. Also, I am sure this doesn't need to be said but I'm going to say it anyway, make sure people pay you. I don't like thinking the worst in people, but you might run into someone trying to pay you "next time".

Good luck to you! I hope it all works out for you!

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Thank you @SioCat ! This really helped me out! The only problem is that I just want it to be a neighborhood thing cuz I want to be able to walk or ride my bike, so I think ill make flyers and a sign. The extras thing is a good idea though!! We have cats, so I know how to do this stuff! I think that I know pretty well how to hold a leash, as I went through training at the humane society, but I would buy another one like you said. One dog there is really strong, so I don't want to break my hand by wrapping it around my hand. I too, would be devastated if I lost one of the dogs at the humane society, and would especially feel bad if the dog I was walking got away. I always try to be extra careful.

Thank you again!

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
When I was 15/16 I did the dog walking and pet sitting thing, and you'll find you can build a really devoted base of customers. I would suggest advertising at vets, grocery stores (where they have boards anyone can pin things on), even on craigslist as long as you take an adult with you to meet the owner. Be clear about your age as well when talking to people because they may be very cautious about allowing someone so young access to their animals. Do you have your own dog? If so start taking them to the dog park and get to talking with other owners there. That's where I met most of my former clients and once they saw that I could be consistent and firm with my own dog and my own schedule they felt I could be trusted. Another thing that may hinder you at first is your size, I'm 5'3 and 90lbs soaking wet and I imagine you're pretty similar if you're in competitive gymnastics and people may doubt your ability to handle a big or well muscled dog so be prepared to soothe any of those concerns and be able to demonstrate you are capable of handling anything from a tea cup poodle to a 150lb Mastiff. Another great way to build a base is your parents/relatives friends. If you live around your grandparents their friends would be a great place to start because they may not be able to physically handle the dogs they have or just need help every now and then. The most important tip I can give you is this: once you get started you're going to get business and fast so be prepared to say no and show loyalty to your original customers because they will really reward you for it in the long run. I wish you the best of luck.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I will talk to my mom about it later today! Now I just gotta advertise!!! (And pick up a few supplies)

I do not happen to have dogs, but I have handled an extremely strong one before, and will continue to handle him until he gets adopted.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.