Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Getting another pig- bigger cage!

whistlepig

Cavy Slave
I have one male guinea pig who is medium sized, and hope to adopt another of similar type and personality. How big do I need to make the new cage? If they really need to get away from each other, shouldn't 2x4 be enough? Also, what accessories should i add to accommodate another pig? At the guineapigcages store, Sue told me that I would be fine with a 2x4, but now people are telling me to get 3x4, 2x5, etc. So, how big? Personally, I trust Sue because she gives a lot of good advice.

Help?

whistlepig

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
It depends on the guinea pigs. My first male pair got along well in a 2x4 but one of my current pairs can't even manage in a 2x7.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
I would have supplies on hand to keep expanding as big as the pigs need. My boys are happy in a 2x5 equivalent and rarely leave each others sides my girls however are in a 2ftx8ft bookcase (3 girls) and yesterday they bickered so bad i had to saw part of it off and sacrifce my wire storage units from the kitchen hastily cabletied with cardboard for safety! Their house now looks very odd (but bigger so they're happy) and i have stuff all over my kitchen sides! If i'd had cubes in the house it would of been so much easier!

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
males need alot of space or so I have heard. I only have girls. The more room the better and I think that most pictures of enourmous cages are for male guinea pigs lol

whistlepig

Cavy Slave
I would have supplies on hand to keep expanding as big as the pigs need. My boys are happy in a 2x5 equivalent and rarely leave each others sides my girls however are in a 2ftx8ft bookcase (3 girls) and yesterday they bickered so bad i had to saw part of it off and sacrifce my wire storage units from the kitchen hastily cabletied with cardboard for safety! Their house now looks very odd (but bigger so they're happy) and i have stuff all over my kitchen sides! If i'd had cubes in the house it would of been so much easier!
i got my new baby today! I am actually not doing quarantine because they have already met and snuggled with each other at the foster. they are temporarily in the 2x3 and dominance is being established, but luckily no fighting! How would i keep expanding my coroplast base?

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
My boys are in a 2x4 and they're fine. Yes, bigger is better, but it does say on the home page 2x4 is okay for 2 pigs. To be honest, I think it depends on the pigs too. The cage is a contributing factor of course but some pigs just won't get on. My two were originally in a 2x3 and got on great in there but I expanded when Elmo hit adolescence, in case. If they are doing okay in a 2x3, I'd go to a 2x4. You can always expand again later.

When I expanded my coroplast base, I cut of the end that made the raised corner (if you know what I mean, the border part), attached the grids, put that part in the far end then measured how much more I'd need in between. Cut it, made tall edges, and attached it with duct tape.

pinky

Cavy Slave
My boys are in a 2x4 and get along really well. My females tend to fuss with each other more.... no mounting or biting, though... I just hear some whining and complaining coming from those cages once in awhile.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
It depends, a 2x4 is considered the minimum for two pigs. but some pigs do need more space. Mine have always gotten along, unless izzy is in heat, so I've never had the space issue. I just like a large cage.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
It seems like most people have more success with having two boars in a 2x5. It ultimately will depend on the pigs. If you have space I would build a 2x5 because it will be easier to keep clean.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@Peggysu

That's a really good point. Boars can be messy little guys. The bigger the cage, the less often it needs changing, and the less work for you in the end.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Is it only me that has tidy boars? o_o and they don't smell. I've never experienced 'boar stink', which is fortunate because apparently it's horrible. Even when they get new things, Noah will just rumblestrut rather than mark it. He marked the new area of his cage when it was first expanded but that's the only time.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is it only me that has tidy boars? o_o and they don't smell. I've never experienced 'boar stink', which is fortunate because apparently it's horrible. Even when they get new things, Noah will just rumblestrut rather than mark it. He marked the new area of his cage when it was first expanded but that's the only time.

Haha, me neither! Not even the new surrendered boars who got dropped off on Saturday! I have 6 boars in my house right now...they don't smell that much if at all. I'm rather glad that I've never smelt it!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I don't think I've ever dealt with boar stink either, that I know off. Felix just pee's in everything.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
@Peggysu

That's a really good point. Boars can be messy little guys. The bigger the cage, the less often it needs changing, and the less work for you in the end.

Whether it's a pair of boars or sows I've noticed that my life has always been best with a bigger then suggested cage, it's just easier for me to keep clean. I currently house two sows in a 2x6 and would not have anything smaller.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Borat marked his cage every time I cleaned it by dragging his butt all around, and he did the same every time he went in his playpen, but I never smelled anything. He was a very tidy boar 99 percent of the time, although he did make boar stank a couple of times, and it is NASTY. It wasn't a regular thing though, thank goodness. Other than that, he was much tidier than my girls.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
I never get boar smells either ;) I was always under the impression that they were rather like ferrets (ferrets smell bad incase you didn't know :p).... But I got boars anyway.
I'm sooooooo glad they don't smell though, as they live in my bedroom!!! But it couldn't possibly be because my two will only be 17 weeks friday, so you know, maybe they'll get smelly.
*crosses fingers and hopes not*

cavyqueeeen

Cavy Slave
I would definitely make a bigger cage. I know they say that that 2x4 cage should be big enough but I have 5 males and they are all in the same 2x9 plus 2x4 loft and there are times when they all need their space. I also try to make sure that there is at least one item that each of them prefer for them individually so they can have a little space to themselves if they need it. And it works out even better if none of the other pigs like it. When I first had my first 2 males they were in a 2x5 cage with a 1x2 loft and that was the perfect size. But I kept expanding my cage along with the amount of piggies I had. Now I have 5 males and 5 females. They all are spayed and neutered and the females have their own room. Also I make sure that there are always extra grids handy in an easy to get to spot so if I need to seperate them I can. * just as a tip. But as long as you have a 2x4 at the smallest you should be good. BUT BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER!!!!!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I again have to agree with @Peggysu

I love my big cage. I love love love it, and I like to think the pigs do too. It does take up space and all, but I'm fine with that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.