Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Advil & Zyrtec's Medical Thread

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave
I'm currently having a hard time figuring out if my guinea pig's leg is injured or not(on another thread), and I'm very confused if my guinea pig is really good at hiding his injury, or if his leg isn't a problem. I suspect a sprain or broken bone in my guinea pig's back leg, and I will talk about it in another thread.

For this thread I would like to know if injured guinea pigs can still popcorn, wheek, act happy, etc.

Yesterday I changed up my guinea pig's cage set up, and both my guinea pigs popcorned like crazy and they even did a few zoomies around their cage. My "injured" guinea pig also stood straight up on his hind leg, putting all of his weight into his "injured leg" when he wanted food.

I know guinea pigs are good at hiding their injuries, but would a guinea pig really work their leg that much popcorning and moving if they actually had a leg that hurt and is injured? Have any of you guys experienced this before, and if so, has the leg injury or any other injury been really serious and have your guinea pigs hid their injury so well that you haven't noticed?

Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Can guinea pigs with injuries still act happy?

No, I wouldn't expect him to do all that if his leg is sprained or broken.

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave

Today I noticed my pig started to squeak a little when he was pooping/peeing. It didn't seem like the squeals of pain. It seems like the soft whines or as I like to call it, the "get away from me squeaks" when I pick up my guinea pig or I pet him too hard. I also noticed that my pig starts to squeak when he's pooping near his roommate. The same thing happened a few weeks ago. My theory is that my pig squeaks because he just doesn't want his roommate to disturb him while he poops because my pig's roommate is known to chase away the other pig with nips, but ofc I'm no expert. What do you guys think it is? (update my thread title please)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

You've got a bunch of threads with medical questions about your guinea pig. You get ONE. Pick one and let me know which one it is. I'll close the others, and you can include the URL to them when posting on your one medical thread. Also, let me know what you want the title to be.

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave

You've got a bunch of threads with medical questions about your guinea pig. You get ONE. Pick one and let me know which one it is. I'll close the others, and you can include the URL to them when posting on your one medical thread. Also, let me know what you want the title to be.

Yes I know. I want this thread to be my medical thread. I would like the title to be "squeaking while going to the bathroom). Do I get one thread for every other discussion too?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

You get one general thread for your pigs, and one medical thread.

How about if I make the title "Advil & Zyrtec's Medical Thread?"

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave

How about if I make the title "Advil & Zyrtec's Medical Thread?"
Yes I would like that. Also is there a way you could delete these replies now that we've got everything figured out?

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave

Does anyone have answers for my question above?

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave

Today I noticed my pig started to squeak a little when he was pooping/peeing. It didn't seem like the squeals of pain. It seems like the soft whines or as I like to call it, the "get away from me squeaks" when I pick up my guinea pig or I pet him too hard. I also noticed that my pig starts to squeak when he's pooping near his roommate. The same thing happened a few weeks ago. My theory is that my pig squeaks because he just doesn't want his roommate to disturb him while he poops because my pig's roommate is known to chase away the other pig with nips, but ofc I'm no expert. What do you guys think it is?
Does anyone have answers for this question up top?

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Have you seen any blood in the urine? Squeaking while pooping or peeing is a typical symptom of a bladder stone.

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave
Please correct me if I say anything wrong
When I was cleaning my piggy's cage, i noticed something sticking out of the very rear end of my guinea pig. It fell right off with a little tug. It looked like a piece of poop that got stuck. At first I thought my pig had impaction. I immediately looked for any other poop but couldn't find anything. What is confusing is that I thought poop comes out of the anal sac of a guinea pig which is right under the penis of a guinea pig. Guinea pigs with impaction usually have poop clots and poop stuck in the anal sac, not at the hole on the rear end of a guinea pig, though idk what that hole is or does. I also haven't seen my pig with suspected impaction poop in days, but I don't watch my pigs often because of my busy schedule, and I checked my pig's bum again after a few days and there wasn't a problem. Could someone give me a possible explanation?
Here is the picture of the poop(?) I pulled out of my pig's rear end and not the anal sac:
IMG_3393.jpg

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave
Just curious:
What are the symptoms of guinea pig with a bladder stone or UTI besides pee in their blood and squeaking while peeing? Are they lethargic, less active, unresponsive, unwilling to eat? Do they have a puffed up coat or a hunched back? Is there a sudden weight loss? Is there blood in the pig's urine EVERYTIME he/she pees? Is there always pain when going to the bathroom?

Also,
What is the hole at the very far end of a guinea pig. The hole on the very bottom or on the "butt" of a guinea pig. I originally thought that's where poop comes out of a guinea pig but the anal sac is right below the penis. Does anyone know what that hole is and what it does?

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave
^ could a guinea pig with a bladder stone or uti run around the cage and popcorn in the early stages when it isn't as painful?

It's night time rn where I live, I'll be sure to send a picture tomorrow

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes. Bladder stones aren't always painful. They can be when they are stuck to the bladder wall, or blocking the urethra so the urine isn't expelled. But if the stone is just floating in the bladder, it may not be painful.

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave
Hi guys. I know dark rusty orange or brown pee is normal, but is it also normal for it to turn bright orange? I'm probably overthinking things but I've never seen my pig's pee turn so bright of an orange before. Also, does anyone have pictures they could show me of blood filled pee on fleece?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why don't you post a picture here so other people can tell you if they've seen anything similar?

If there's no odor, it's not apt to be a UTI.

Urine can, and does, change colors depending on what the pig has been eating. Is there anything new in the diet?

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave
I have not changed anything from their diet. They get lettuce, carrot, cucumber, radicchio, and bell pepper. They got a little bit of celery today for the first time in a few weeks, and they got a tiny bit of papaya too. I will get a picture in tomorrow, it's night time again haha.

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave
Here is the picture of the weird hole that I originally thought was the anal sack. This is also the hole where I found a small bit of poop in my guinea pig. What is this hole and what does it do?
IMG_3687.jpg
Going back to the question I had earlier about the poop found in that hole, a few times I found little crushed flattened guinea pig poop covered with hair inside the cage, just like the poop I pulled out of my guinea pig from that hole. I can't find any signs of impaction, there are no poop clots or any build up of poop in the anal sac. Should I try to do an anal sac cleaning? Any guesses of what is going on?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.