Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Adding male GPigs to my pair?

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I have two boars that get along great (one is almost 3 and one is almost 1.5). I really would love to add another boy or two. Would a 2X7 be large enough? Do boars do well in a groups of 3 or 4 (the two I have are super great)? Would age matter of the new ones?

33bf0ccfded6bcd7f5d30e78c362e9a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karleen Garcia

Cavy Slave
I think a 2x7 should be fine. I don't know too much about boars. I'm curious for that answer as well

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
If they get along well, it's best not to risk upsetting that bond by adding more to the pair. Adding more guinea pigs might cause their bond to be destroyed, and even after you take the new guinea pig out, it might never be the same. As long as you're willing to take that risk, go for it.

But if you aren't willing to take that risk and still want more guinea pigs, why not just get two more and put them in another cage?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't do it. It is VERY difficult to add more males, whether one or several to a bonded pair. We never recommend that people have boar threesomes -- that's a particularly difficult number. If you want more pigs, I'd recommend getting another pair and another cage and not try to put them together.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
It sounds best to have a second cage. I would hate to risk causing them any grief. I love my boys so much and they're so good!

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Don't do it. It is VERY difficult to add more males, whether one or several to a bonded pair. We never recommend that people have boar threesomes -- that's a particularly difficult number. If you want more pigs, I'd recommend getting another pair and another cage and not try to put them together.

If I got two more males, could the 4 play during floor time? Or would that cause issues too?

LucyPenny

Cavy Slave
I would imagine that it'd start dominance behavior and be stressful for them.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
No playtime together unless they live together. It just stirs up trouble.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Definitely DON'T do it. Two males together tops without great risk.

Tam Piggy love

Cavy Slave
If you have a bonded pair of boars that are successfully living together, don't mess with that! 3 would be difficult, 4 pretty much impossible. Boars, especially young boars(4 months to a year) will always fight for dominance. And this can be dangerous. 2 boars can be a stable, happy heard. The more you add the probability of potential problems is more likely. I wouldn't recommend trying to add more boars, unless you plan to house them separate from your current pair.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In case you hadn't noticed, pigs don't really play together. So there's no point in putting them together for floor time. You'll just set off dominance wars.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I appreciate the input. I suppose we could consider another pair and maybe try sows if we'd be keeping all separate anyways. I've only had boars.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would only add sows if and only if you live in a responsible ADULTS ONLY home. If there are kids around, don't do that either. :) Responsible adults, should be no problem. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.