Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Can I use wood pellets without fleece on top?

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Does anyone not use fleece above the wood pellets? Is there any reason this would be bad for the pigs if done on a regular basis? I've done for a few days before when I had someone pet sit and I didn't want to ask them to scoop poop. I just put some fleece pads down randomly for beds and they have a fleece couch and a fleece tunnel thing and I have paper bedding in the entire 2x2 loft that's also the kitchen. The pigs don't seem to mind at all and it's so nice to not have to deal with poop and hair and hay everyday on the fleece. With wood pellets as cheap as they are I'm thinking I could use just a small layer (rather than two whole bags) and completely remove and replace it every so often. Any reason I shouldn't do this?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Since California has a severe drought issue, I've been using only wood pellets in the cage.
I don't see why you shouldn't do it.

I miss using fleece though.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Since California has a severe drought issue, I've been using only wood pellets in the cage.
I don't see why you shouldn't do it.

I miss using fleece though.

What do you miss about it?

lissie

Cavy Slave
For me, it's much easier to clean the fleece.

I have to haul the wood pellets up two stories. I have a huge cage and use two bags of pellets. When I clean the cage, I have to put the used pellets into separate bags, and haul them down. I might like the pellets more if I don't have to haul them up and down.

The pellets are quite dusty without the fleece on top.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There must be a difference in pellets between Texas and California, because mine aren't very dusty at all.

The main reason I use fleece is because when I feed them, each of my pigs grabs something off the plate and drags it away to a corner of the cage. I use TerrAmigo bedding, which isn't large pellets, but small crumbled pieces. I was worried about what ingesting a lot of that stuff would do to them, and their lettuce is always covered with it. So I'm sticking with the fleece until I can teach them better table manners. :)

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
There must be a difference in pellets between Texas and California, because mine aren't very dusty at all.

The main reason I use fleece is because when I feed them, each of my pigs grabs something off the plate and drags it away to a corner of the cage. I use TerrAmigo bedding, which isn't large pellets, but small crumbled pieces. I was worried about what ingesting a lot of that stuff would do to them, and their lettuce is always covered with it. So I'm sticking with the fleece until I can teach them better table manners. :)

Where do you buy the TerrAmigo? I'm curious to see what it looks like. I just get the wood pellets for a wood stove from Lowes or for a horse stall from Tractor Supply.

Since I use my entire loft as a kitchen I can give veggies up there and avoid the pellets getting on the food.

I'm also thinking I would just use a thin layer rather than 2 full bags since I won't be making it last as long. With all the poops I would have to scoop it all out way more often.

We'll see, I'm gonna try it and see how it goes.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave

I also meant to mention that my pellets aren't super dusty either. I mean they become dust of course but other than when I am cleaning it out, the dust stays settled under the good pellets.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I get my TerrAmigo at a feed and seed store not far from here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.