Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Terrible situation. Inbreeding, multiple pregnancies.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I met a lady at the store recently and we began talking about our GPigs. OMGoodness I was horrified as she told me her situation. It got worse when she emailed me details. I am sending her some info about caring for GPigs properly. I have a document I've put together that I sometimes share with people about proper cage size, etc. She's probably way beyond hope but I want to at least try. Anyways, she emailed me and said her female had babies 6 months ago and then again 3 months ago. She started with a female and male. The female had a female and male the first time and 2 females and one male the next (one died though). She gave some away but not immediately. Now she has the same momma plus some females from each litter and apparently at least one male still because she said a new one is now pregnant!

My question, couldn't the second litter have been inbred? Or this new pregnancy? Could the baby male have gotten it's mom pregnant? If so, does that cause any extra issues to be concerned about?

I'm sending her info about sexing and she says she's getting rid of the male to avoid any more pregnancies. I just can't help thinking about the likelihood of some inbreeding going on but does that probably happen a lot at big breeders that supply Petsmart and stuff? Is it a big deal or not?

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Most petsmarts and petcos are supplied animals from mills, where there is most definitely inbreeding, and that is a big deal. Unfortunately not many people know about it, and thus dont care. I think her situation has gotten a little out of control, and she should have fixed it a long time ago, but im glad youre helping her out now. As long as she corrects the problem, and it doesnt happen again, its not a big deal.

As for the possible inbreeding, its possible that there might be some issues during birth, or deformed pups, as most inbreeding in any animal isnt good and has higher risk for birthing problems.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
She seems to really want to fix the problem but then again it's so hard to believe a person would let it get like that. There's so much info available if you look!

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
She seems to really want to fix the problem but then again it's so hard to believe a person would let it get like that. There's so much info available if you look!

I agree. I mean, it's not like we have the whole internet at our fingertips or anything. Google exists for a reason. But like I said at least she's trying to fix the issue now rather then let It get worse. Hopefully she'll find good homes for the babies.

Oh, and did you make sure to mention that she NEEDS to separate the male(s) right away? That seems to be where most of the problem is.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I agree. I mean, it's not like we have the whole internet at our fingertips or anything. Google exists for a reason. But like I said at least she's trying to fix the issue now rather then let It get worse. Hopefully she'll find good homes for the babies.

Oh, and did you make sure to mention that she NEEDS to separate the male(s) right away? That seems to be where most of the problem is.

Yes. I sent her info in sexing because she thought she had only girls left until this latest pregnancy. I even offered to come help her determine the male. Sad thing is that I haven't heard back [emoji848]

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Hopefully you will. She sounds like she could use some help.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Well, I never heard back. But now I found out my neighbor has GPigs and they live in a small cage. 3 boys! I seriously want to start a nonprofit education campaign but no way do have the time or resources.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Well, I never heard back. But now I found out my neighbor has GPigs and they live in a small cage. 3 boys! I seriously want to start a nonprofit education campaign but no way do have the time or resources.
I know the feel. I was watching some girl on youtube, she had over 40 pets, and she had at least ten guinea pigs. They were all kept in pet store cages, with four or five of them living in the same cage. She got so much crap in the comments, so she made a rebuke video, saying how she's not stupid and all her pigs have "jumbo" cages. She said she looked into c&cs, and decided they weren't for her. "My guinea pigs are happy, and their cages are fine, and I know what I'm doing."
not to mention she's keeping intact males with females, and they are having babies! And she lets her rabbits breed constantly too! Ugh she ticked me off so much, I wanted to say something so bad but what good would it do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.