Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Considering rehoming... need advice on how to do it

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make, but I think it would be best for Tribble if I found him a new home. Without getting into the complicated details, I'll just say that my financial situation has changed and I just don't have the money to put away right now for an emergency veterinary fund for 2 guinea pigs. I don't even have the money to do it for one pig. I can afford to feed him and get him good quality hay and veggies and pellets, and I can pay for vet visits for minor things, but if Tribbie should ever get sick with something serious or expensive like bladder stones, I couldn't pay for that right now. Also, I plan to be going back to school to get an associates degree this fall, and I'm seriously worried that I just won't have time to really give him the care and attention he needs. He has been living as a single pig since his cagemate died last July, and he does very well by himself if he gets lots of human attention, but I'm not at home during the day and I'm sure he gets lonely. It would be different if I could adopt a new friend for him, but again that goes back to the money problem...

I've decided to give it a week or two to think this problem over and decide if it's what I really want to do or if I can't find some other solution, but I really think that rehoming would probably be the best thing for him at this point. It breaks my heart, but I really just want what's best for him.

Anyway, I have a few questions about the rehoming process, and wanted to ask for any general advice on finding a good home.

BTW, here's a few pictures of him, just in case anyone in the Chattanooga, TN area is interested. He'll be 4 this spring, but he's almost as energetic as a pup. He also travels great and I'd be willing to drive a couple of hours to bring him somewhere.
Tribble resting 1.jpg Comfy Tribble 1.jpgComfy Tribble 2.jpg

Geranium

Cavy Slave
I know you said you're unable to commit financially, but you could give CareCredit a shot. I'm a college student and therefore don't have the funds readily available for big vet bills. CareCredit gives a huge credit line and the due date isn't until two months after the expense, which gives extra time to pay off before interest comes into effect. I just thought I would mention this, because if you applied for the card (and I'm sure you'd be accepted as I have virtually no credit and got it) then you could get a buddy for Tribble and that would solve the loneliness issue as well as your financial concerns.

Side note: the second picture of him half asleep inside his igloo is absolutely adorable!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If you found him a good home, that doesn't mean they would spend any money for vet visits even if they said they would. I would keep him and just keep putting money away. Pigs do not need to go to the vets unless something is wrong, I've only had 3 that ever had to go. But since he is an only pig, if you do rehome him, please try to make it in a home with other piggies.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I do know about CareCredit, but the problem isn't just that I don't have the funds readily available; I don't have the funds at all. Right now I'm trying to reduce my expenses to the lowest that I possibly can, and a large vet bill just isn't feasible. Even if I didn't have to pay it all off right away, I'd still have to pay it off sometime in the near future. I don't really expect to have that kind of money until after I've graduated with my associate's degree and found a stable job somewhere, and that could be several years or more down the road.

@lunarminx : Yeah, that is actually one of my biggest concerns about rehoming him; I can't necessarily guarantee that he'll be taken care of if he should ever have a problem. I'll try my best of course to find an adopter who I genuinely believe will take the best care of him possible (and of course I'd want to pair him with another pig), but once he's gone it's essentially out of my hands. The only thing I can think of to do is have them sign an adoption contract stating that they will get him veterinary care whenever needed and that if they should ever need to give him up at any point, that they give him back to me. But the question is, who's going to enforce the contract? It's basically made in good faith, isn't it?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx : Yeah, that is actually one of my biggest concerns about rehoming him; I can't necessarily guarantee that he'll be taken care of if he should ever have a problem. I'll try my best of course to find an adopter who I genuinely believe will take the best care of him possible (and of course I'd want to pair him with another pig), but once he's gone it's essentially out of my hands. The only thing I can think of to do is have them sign an adoption contract stating that they will get him veterinary care whenever needed and that if they should ever need to give him up at any point, that they give him back to me. But the question is, who's going to enforce the contract? It's basically made in good faith, isn't it?

Sadly yes. Personally I would keep him, the chance of something happening is slim and try to place his cage as close to where you spend most of your time. Quick pets as you pass his cage along with short laptimes would work. Try and just keep putting money away as you can. Right now he has a home that loves him.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx : Thanks for your advice. I definitely know that I want him in a home that loves him, and the worst-case scenario would be that he ends up in a situation worse than what he has now. No matter what, he'll always have a home with me for the rest of his life, and I'll just do the best I can. I'm just trying to figure out if I can't do better for him is all.

Unfortunately, I can't really "put money away" for anything right now. The situation is that I'm still financially dependent on my parents, both of whom are retired as of two years ago. I have a low-paying job as an unlicensed veterinary technician, and I'm trying to go back to school to become a radiologic technologist so that I can get work that earns enough for me to be financially independent. My parents are giving me a private loan to go though the radio tech program. But you see, whatever money I earn and spend right now isn't really mine. And my parents do not think that I should be spending the money I do have on expensive veterinary care. They think I need to be saving as much as possible and spending as little as possible, and I agree with them.

Last edited:

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
That's a tough situation. It's clear you want what's best for him and he sure is a cutie! If you decide that rehoming him is best, just be selective! Being a little older would make me think it would be harder to find a home for him. How long has he been solo?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd find the closest guinea pig rescue and surrender him there. That's the only way you'll be sure someone will have his best interests in mind. Since he's already 4 years old, I'd make sure he goes to someone who understands the needs of guinea pigs as they get older.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
He's had two cagemates at different times. His most recent cagemate, Rolo, had to be euthanized this past July after a failed cystotomy. So I know he can get along with other boars. But it's true that he is a little older, and I also know that boars are harder to pair up. I'd be nervous trying to pair him with a potential adopters' pig as I don't really have any experience doing introductions or matching up compatible pigs.

I got Rolo from Knoxville Guinea Pig Rescue and the lady there who runs the rescue is amazing. I suppose I could take him there, but like all rescues this one is full up and there's a waiting list. Don't most rescues ask you to try to rehome your animal yourself first to save space at the rescue for pets that are in really desperate situations? I doubt my situation would be considered "desperate" enough to get him taken in.

pinky

Cavy Slave
He's had two cagemates at different times. His most recent cagemate, Rolo, had to be euthanized this past July after a failed cystotomy. So I know he can get along with other boars. But it's true that he is a little older, and I also know that boars are harder to pair up. I'd be nervous trying to pair him with a potential adopters' pig as I don't really have any experience doing introductions or matching up compatible pigs.

I got Rolo from Knoxville Guinea Pig Rescue and the lady there who runs the rescue is amazing. I suppose I could take him there, but like all rescues this one is full up and there's a waiting list. Don't most rescues ask you to try to rehome your animal yourself first to save space at the rescue for pets that are in really desperate situations? I doubt my situation would be considered "desperate" enough to get him taken in.

I know money is tight but offer him, his cage all food and accessories and a $25 rehoming fee to the rescue. That way, you won't be putting a burden on the rescue and you'll know he'll be in good hands.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I know money is tight but offer him, his cage all food and accessories and a $25 rehoming fee to the rescue. That way, you won't be putting a burden on the rescue and you'll know he'll be in good hands.

Good idea. They do want you to try to look for a home yourself usually but they also do care about piggies! Try being honest and do like she says and try to alleviate the burden as much as possible. I might at least post an ad for a while and see if the perfect situation comes along. Maybe insist that you get to see the new home and that if the pigs don't get along after proper intro they must return to you.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Yeah, contacting the shelter and offering up all his stuff with him sounds like it would be worth a try. I'll admit that I was kind of half-hoping to keep his cage so that I'd have one already when I decide that I'm ready to have pigs again. But if it helps him get accepted to the rescue, I'll gladly give it up.

I guess I'll post an ad, but first I want to create my own adoption application and a contract so that if the adopter needs to give him up at any point, he'll be returned to me. I'm definitely going to be VERY selective about rehoming him on my own if that's what I end up doing. If I don't feel extremely confident about a potential adopter, I won't give him to that person. I raised this little guy from a 4-wk-old pup and I love him very, very much, so naturally I'm also very protective of him. Like I said, if I can't find a better situation for him, he'll always have a home with me.

Thank you everyone for all of your help. This is extremely difficult for me, and I REALLY appreciate all of the advice.

One last question: Should I post an ad for him first and see if I don't get lucky or should I just go straight to contacting the rescue?

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I think it's worth a try to post an ad. Sometimes the perfect situation can play out. My sister got GPigs from a pet store. I got on to her for not discussing with me so I could warn her. Then a little while later one of my GPigs passed away very unexpectedly and I had a very lonely boar for a while. Then she found out she had a male/female pair (told you so moment [emoji6]). I ended up getting one of her babies and he's been the perfect buddy for my Brownie. Intros went amazing and they are awesome together. My sister and I have even become so much closer now thru this. It's like it was meant to be!

Just stay strong on being picky but maybe someone is desperate for a sweet boar for their lonely one and won't buy from a pet store so waiting for an ad like yours!!

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
What a great story! I'd sure be lucky to have something like that happen. :) Should I include the cage and fleece bedding in the ad?
'Cause like I said, I'd sort of had an idea of keeping it if I possibly could...

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Because typed text doesn't always read how you mean it to, let me preface this with a mention of tone. Read it with a loving caring tone please :)

One of my Christmas gifts this year was money off of what I owe my mother for The Colonel's surgery. You may not have "extra" money to put away any time soon but you could tell people that's what you want for birthdays, Christmas etc. Also you could have a garage sale or do some pet sitting etc o get a little to put aside. There is almost always a way to save a little here and there. I would do that. You can always surrender him if a true ER happens that you can't take care of. Just something to think about.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
What a great story! I'd sure be lucky to have something like that happen. :) Should I include the cage and fleece bedding in the ad?
'Cause like I said, I'd sort of had an idea of keeping it if I possibly could...

I would offer the things in the ad "if needed". Ideally you will be giving him to a home that already has a large C&C for their own boar so they may not need it but if they do need it, I would offer it up. I would think that in the future if you get piggies again, you'll have the funds to get new cage supplies since you'll also have enough to put aside for medical emergencies etc.

When I first got my pigs I honestly was foolish about it and didn't consider large emergency bills and later read how very possible it is. We went thru a tough period where we wouldn't have had it but I was too attached at that point. Thank God it all worked out and now I have money set aside but for a while I was going on faith and trying to set back anything I could (no eating out and saving that $5, etc).

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
@barbaramudge : That's a GREAT idea about having a garage sale!! I hadn't even thought of selling off my old stuff! Unfortunately, no one in my family has a large amount of money to spare right now to give me a really large X-mas or birthday present (although pig-cash is definitely what I'll be asking for now). However, I've got TONS of old junk and books and clothes that I haven't even touched in ages that I really need to get rid of. If I can sell enough of that stuff to make up an emergency fund for at least Tribble (& hopefully enough for a second pig so he can have a friend), then I'll be using money that I wouldn't have had otherwise and won't be obligated to put aside for "savings".

@blessedmom : That's very encouraging to hear that you were able to get thru a tough time when money was tight without having to give up your pets. I'm already putting back just about everything I can: literally, I never eat out unless my parents are in town and want to take us out somewhere, I bring my lunch to work every day, cook for myself, I don't buy clothes or music or go out to movies... or really spend money on "fun". :p

Right now Tribble seems to be about as healthy as he can be. He's never had any medical issues (apart from a single UTI when I first switched to fleece and hadn't learned how to use it right yet). And I won't be starting the radio tech program until the fall, and then I'll only be in class part time for my first semester. So I've got some time to scrape together whatever I can for an emergency fund (I'd love to do at least $1000 per pig). I'll hold off on putting him up for adoption until then. Thanks for the great ideas and encouragement! I really hope I can make this work! :)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad to hear that! I just hate to see a pig lose a good happy home for uncertainty if it can be helped. Gifts wouldn't have to be really large, you'd be surprised how fast that can all add up. I was very fortunate that my mom could help with surgery when that came out of nowhere. Like others, we are in a temporarily poor financial position but we have been able to stick some money aside now. Also, don't forget it's almost tax time, perhaps you'll have a bit of a refund that you could set aside? Good luck to you and sweet Tribble!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.