Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Terrible website about GPigs

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I was browsing online about GPigs as I sometimes do and ran into this site:
(broken link removed)
It seemed like a nice helpful site at first glance but then I noticed very bad information regarding diet and care. The number one recommendation for bedding is to use Timothy hay! Not sure if that's actually bad but hardly seems like top choice! It doesn't warn against too much fruit, instead lists way more than you should give. It even says not to give too many fruits OR veggies because it gives them diarrhea. And to top it off, I was reading the Skinny Pigs article they wrote and then it explained how to breed them! Ugh! I imagine lots of people would run across this and think it's good info. He's really just trying to sell an ebook he wrote or something.

This is his list of what to feed them (nothing about not feeding all this high sugar stuff daily):
Apples
Baby Carrots
Kale
Tomatoes
Celery
Spinach
Kiwis
Parsley
Blueberries
Peaches
Watermelon
Grapes
Broccoli leaves

So glad one of the first places I found was this forum when I first started researching piggie care and cages!

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I don't think that site is too bad, except for the promoting of breeding. I think you could get away with using timothy hay as a bedding, as long as you put some in a hay rack as well. It doesn't say timothy hay is the number one bedding, it just says 'if you do use it as a bedding'. Giving too many veggies can lead to diarrhea. The site says those foods are piggie favourites, not saying that is what you should always feed. It's definitely not the best site for guinea pig care but it's not saying anything harmful except for the breeding part. (It's just maybe leaving some more important things out).

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't think that site is too bad, except for the promoting of breeding. I think you could get away with using timothy hay as a bedding, as long as you put some in a hay rack as well. It doesn't say timothy hay is the number one bedding, it just says 'if you do use it as a bedding'. Giving too many veggies can lead to diarrhea. The site says those foods are piggie favourites, not saying that is what you should always feed. It's definitely not the best site for guinea pig care but it's not saying anything harmful except for the breeding part. (It's just maybe leaving some more important things out).

If that's the recommended food list, most of the non-fruits are very high in calcium, with the exception of tomatoes.... No mention of leafy greens.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave

Some of the information seemed good which is why I thought it would be a helpful resource. I was looking for things to send my sister as basic GPig care but I don't think the info is good overall. It mentions the foods as favorites and says to try them until you find what yours likes and feed it that daily but add some others every now and then. That would lead a person to think using that list is good. If the main diet consisted of a few of those, the pig would have way too much sugar and calcium. And of course the fruits would be the faves. They don't even mention that it should be about 1 cup of veggies per day. I would think that could be too much for such a small critter especially if I'm being warned too much will give diarrhea that can kill the piggie like it says on there. And then to teach people how to breed to get a skinny pig is just irresponsible. But once I realized it's really just a site to sell a book, I don't think the true interest is the best care. I love how this site we are on sells cages but also teaches you how to make one cheaper. They clearly care most that you just get a big enough cage, not just want to sell you one. Maybe the person just truly thinks that's the best care but they teach it like they are an expert and these are facts.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@blessedmom, the only guinea pig sites that I'd wholeheartedly recommend to give to a new guinea pig owner are this one and Guinea Lynx. There may be others out there, but these two work hard at giving clear, accurate information, and pretty much cover the waterfront of guinea pig care.

Fay

Cavy Slave
Give your sister links to the Guinea Lynx care and medical guides. I also tend to link the vegetable chart that is stickied on these forums under the diet section. It's easy to read and the two posts on the topic have additional helpful information.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If that's the recommended food list, most of the non-fruits are very high in calcium, with the exception of tomatoes.... No mention of leafy greens.

It's just a favorite list.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It's just a favorite list.

Even if a guinea pig prefers them, I wouldn't even feed most of them because they're high in sugar or calcium.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I've sent her this forum but I don't think she has looked at it. I printed the awesome spreadsheet from here that has all the veggie/fruit info and gave her. I've also discussed the need for a larger cage and hoping she will upgrade soon. I'm actually thinking about going larger with my cage and could give her my old coroplast and have some extra grids too. I'll even offer to help her build it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.