Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Let's see your cage Pictures please.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Still no upgrade, sadly, but the 2x3.5 is better than their pet store cage! I "remodeled" the cage a bit, though I still don't have the hay rack exactly where I want it.
Top open
View attachment 74848
Top closed
View attachment 74849
Eggs demonstrating the hay rack
View attachment 74850
Bacon demonstrating the water bottles(about to be filled)
View attachment 74851

If there are any suggestions on my setup, please let me know! I really want to make it nice for them, though I am hopefully upgrading to a 2x5 very soon.
Are yours girls? The larger 2 x 5 will be great but if they get along, your current set up seems arranged well. I had my 2 boys in a Midwest Habitat for a long time and it's the very min acceptable size and they did great. But when I upgraded to a 2 x 4 and then later a 2 x 5, I experienced much benefit. They've done well no matter the cage but the larger ones are easier for me to keep clean and more fun to rearrange. I rotate different obstacles and caves for them.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Still no upgrade, sadly, but the 2x3.5 is better than their pet store cage! I "remodeled" the cage a bit, though I still don't have the hay rack exactly where I want it.
Top open
View attachment 74848
Top closed
View attachment 74849
Eggs demonstrating the hay rack
View attachment 74850
Bacon demonstrating the water bottles(about to be filled)
View attachment 74851

If there are any suggestions on my setup, please let me know! I really want to make it nice for them, though I am hopefully upgrading to a 2x5 very soon.
Also, I found that the igloo style houses caused too much bickering and even when I had a smaller cage I preferred having a fleece forest in each corner or even two next to each other. Hands down the favorite place to be and it leaves the floor space open for laps (if your piggies like running). Someone recently posted a great how to video on making them. I just remade mine her way because it looks good and is easy. I cut my strips shorter though because my padding is thick and I don't like the strips touching the bottom b/c they get dirty.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Are you talking about the cage or the fleece?

Cage materials can be found at these places.

Grids:
https://www.sears.com/stor-floor-st...p-00913332000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
https://www.kmart.com/stor-floor-st...W435219990001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-White-Wire-Storage-Cubes-Four-Cubes-Interlocked/5005200
(broken link removed)

Coroplast:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/COROSPL...-in-Twinwall-Plastic-Sheet-COR-3672/202771364

How to make:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Complete kit:
https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/

How to clean:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/cleaning.htm

Places to buy fleece:
You can buy fleece blankets from these places: Walmart, Target, Walgreens, Ikea, etc
Fabric stores: Joann's, Hancock, etc

How to use fleece:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/21568-The-Fleece-Project-The-Study

Good absorbent material to use under fleece:
Uhaul pads: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/58123-Review-UHaul-blanket
Wood pellets: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107419-3-full-weeks-of-wood-pellets

This post should be a sticky lissie, thank you for compiling it.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
@blessedmom

Thank you!

Bacon and Eggs are boys. One of the main reasons I want a bigger cage right now is because Eggs is just now going through adolescence, and Bacon, being two years old, isn't having any of it. They often have squabbles, but thankfully no blood has been drawn so I needn't separate them. I know that a bigger cage won't solve their problems, but I believe it will help.

I would love to replace their "pigloos" with something such as fleece forests, but I don't have any extra fleece at the moment. I have actually been thinking about this for a while now. When I expand the cage, I'll be getting a whole new set of fleece, and have extras from my current set.

I have two food bowls, two hideys, and two water bottles. I try to rearrange it as much as I can, but so far I've found only one set up that actually works without taking up too much floor space, and it keeps the peace somewhat.

HoundHouse

Cavy Gazer
Here is a picture of two little ones inside their cavy houses.
Display Shot 2.jpg

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
@mommazilla
I use a shower curtain. I had to literally build my cage on a moment's notice so I had no time to find coroplast. I planned to but I still haven't and the shower curtain does it's job. I'm starting to crave a lift out box though.

I revamped my cage last night, moving the ramp and using pipes as a support for the loft instead of a grid. I like it so much more and so do the piggies.

View attachment 24227

Where did you get those pipes??? and what are they called?? I'm using a grid to support my top level and I hate how much space it consumes! If you could let me know I would be so grateful! (expanding my main cage after my male has recovered from getting altered!)

April Garcia

Cavy Gazer
I keep seeing cages with the dangling strips of fleece like you have in the back right corner. I love the idea but what is the purpose? I'm debating doing that but would like to know why it is done.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Those fleece strips are called fleece forest. Guinea pigs like to hide in them, and they don't take away running space, since pigs can run through them.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Did a cage cleaning - fleece change - today (do it every Friday) and changed the set-up around! Why is it so entertaining to change the set-up around?? I also love to watch the piggies explore the new set-up.
Piggy Setup.jpg

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Did a cage cleaning - fleece change - today (do it every Friday) and changed the set-up around! Why is it so entertaining to change the set-up around?? I also love to watch the piggies explore the new set-up.
View attachment 75025

Nice, pretty fleece.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I just ordered a fleece forest and little cupcake bed from the guinea pig market. Can't wait until it gets here! Will post a picture of my cage again once I have everything in it-I'm going to try binder clips on the coroplast because my piggies enjoy digging the fleece up out of my neatly tucked corners! :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Redid the cage to a 3x6 again. Two neutered boys and four females are in it, its their first day in it. Still need to finish the lids and tunnels. It does have a two grid base.

100_0810.jpg100_0811.jpg100_0812.jpg100_0813.jpg

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
IMG_6383.jpgcage.jpgI have divorced parents, so that means two cages!! This one is just a 2x5. In the second picture there's a bunk bed and in the first there's a frozen water bottle wrapped in a towel since it's a bit hot right now. image5.jpg This is their other cage. It is still a 2x5, but divided into sections. The first, and biggest, section is 2x3 and I call it their "living room". It has tunnels and cozies and their water bottles. The top section is a 2x1 and it is known as the "bedroom". It has their snuggle sacks. The newspaper covered section is a 2x1, and called the "kitchen" and has their hay. The last section is also a 2x1 extension and it is known as the "deck". It is just a little snuggle part where I pet them and stuff. Those are their cages!

April Garcia

Cavy Gazer
Those fleece strips are called fleece forest. Guinea pigs like to hide in them, and they don't take away running space, since pigs can run through them.

I added one to the cage a week or so ago, after my post asking about it I guess, and Sheldor loves it. :)

April Garcia

Cavy Gazer
Got the 2x5 done. Happy piggies.

20150701_121615.jpg20150701_121624.jpg

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
20150702_221216.jpg
20150702_221224.jpg
20150702_221232.jpg
20150702_221245.jpg

I got the fleece forest and cupcake bed that I ordered from the guinea pig market today! Bacon started popcorning the moment I put the forest in, and I've caught both of them sleeping in their new items more than once. Can't wait to get more fleece and make another fleece forest, so that they can each have one. Sorry for the terrible quality and messy cage, I took these pictures quickly with my phone, at night, before spot cleaning. I love happy piggies!!

Also, I have so far passed expansion with one parent. I only need one more to say yes, and then my boys are moving into a fully paid for (by me)2x5. I'm so happy today!

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
@cavycrazy1107 what kind of grids are those!? And where did you get them? I think they look awesome and would be better for my baby guinea pigs.

HappyPiggies14

Cavy Slave
Looks like regular 9x9 grids that are overlapped...

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
@cavycrazy1107 what kind of grids are those!? And where did you get them? I think they look awesome and would be better for my baby guinea pigs.

You can find those in a lot of Bedbath&beyonds now.

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.