Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Coroplast sheet is too small - ideas needed

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I bought a sheet of coroplast from Home Depot and it came in 72x36. For a 2x4 cage I need 68x39 (adding the 12 inches for 6 inch walls). I am 3 inches short. Should I remove all connectors and use zip ties to make my inner space smaller? Should I make a 5 inch wall all the way around? What is the best option here?

Thanks!

ChristyW82

Cavy Slave
I am having the exact same problem. I bought my sheet today from Home Depot not realizing it wasn't wide enough. Love to hear an answer. :)

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I removed the connectors on the two short ends making it slightly more narrow just to help a little (I was short on connectors anyways). I used zip ties there. I think we are going to make the back side of ours shorter since it will be against a wall anyways. Then I can either use more coroplast or even some fleece and put between the wall and the cage to protect the wall. Does that make sense? I will post pics once we decide for sure and get it done.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
The only size coro I could get was 30 x 36. I taped two together and cut off the excess, then made 4 inch sides. As soon as I have the extra money I am going to order new bases from the cages store.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've only got four inch walls on my cage. All you need is enough height to keep the pigs from flinging poop all over the floor.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I actually bought 2 sheets so we are going to use the second one to make a 12" wall that can go down inside the cage between the grids and the coro-base that we make. We will make it with the front side 6" and the wall side just 3" since we can add the 12" wall as I mentioned. I can even attach it with zip ties after making some holes.
[MENTION=11431]pigmom[/MENTION]my - I found a resource of coroplast sheets right near my house directly from a manufacturer. The problem is that I must buy at least 10 sheets. I plan to do so soon and make some cages to sell on Craigslist maybe. I could see how much it would cost to ship you some and if it's less than ordering on the site, I'd be happy to charge you actually costs on shipping. My cost on the sheets will be as low as $5 for a 4X8 sheet if I order enough!!!!

ChristyW82

Cavy Slave
I removed the connectors on the two short ends making it slightly more narrow just to help a little (I was short on connectors anyways). I used zip ties there. I think we are going to make the back side of ours shorter since it will be against a wall anyways. Then I can either use more coroplast or even some fleece and put between the wall and the cage to protect the wall. Does that make sense? I will post pics once we decide for sure and get it done.

I see what you mean. I am also short on connectors. I have mine zip tied as well. I think I will try making it an inch or two more narrow as well. Are your pigs babies? Mine are and mine can fit through the grids. I have to figure out a way to keep them from escaping until the get bigger.
I would love to see your cage when you're done. What are you using for bedding?

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I see what you mean. I am also short on connectors. I have mine zip tied as well. I think I will try making it an inch or two more narrow as well. Are your pigs babies? Mine are and mine can fit through the grids. I have to figure out a way to keep them from escaping until the get bigger.
I would love to see your cage when you're done. What are you using for bedding?
My boys are about 6 mos old. One is small and one is on the bigger side but neither can get thru. I have had them in a Midwest cage and tried several bedding options and prefer using two layers if uhaul pads with a layer of fleece. This works well if the fleece wicks well. I've got some that doesn't and that made for a mess. I have been reading a post about using wood pellets with a layer of fleece over it and I'm debating trying that. Apparently it only needs total change out every 6 weeks. Currently I wash my fleece and uhaul every week but scoop up poops at least 2 x daily.

I will for sure post once my main cage is done. I'm just doing the 4x2 grids tonight and then soon going to add a kitchen off to one side or a loft. Not sure yet and need more grids. I want a base too for storage.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Here is what I have so far. I'm going to use the new sheet to make a 12" wall along the back.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
If you don't mind it looking a little bad, you can buy a cardboard box and make it into only two connected pieces. ( so you can put one end under the Coro, and the other side acting as a wall :)

ChristyW82

Cavy Slave
Here is what I have so far. I'm going to use the new sheet to make a 12" wall along the back.

So I finally have my cage together and my pigs in. I ended up over lapping the ends one square. That gave me 2 more inches on the coro. I believe my sides are 5 inches. Also my pigs are only 2 months I believe. So they completely fit through the grids. So my husband took chicken wire and cut it to cover 3 rows high on the grids. I zip tied it on. The back the were were short chicken wire by a grid so I have a box stuff in there for the time being. I have to order the uhaul blankets so right now I am using Katee Clean & Cozy bedding. I have newspaper under the "kitchen" area because I was short on bedding. Sunshine and Cloudy seem to love it. They both run around like crazy popcorning. :) Especially sunshine. I also need to get them up out of the floor.

cage 2 10-6.jpg

Cage 10-6.jpg

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
So I finally have my cage together and my pigs in. I ended up over lapping the ends one square. That gave me 2 more inches on the coro. I believe my sides are 5 inches. Also my pigs are only 2 months I believe. So they completely fit through the grids. So my husband took chicken wire and cut it to cover 3 rows high on the grids. I zip tied it on. The back the were were short chicken wire by a grid so I have a box stuff in there for the time being. I have to order the uhaul blankets so right now I am using Katee Clean & Cozy bedding. I have newspaper under the "kitchen" area because I was short on bedding. Sunshine and Cloudy seem to love it. They both run around like crazy popcorning. :) Especially sunshine. I also need to get them up out of the floor.

View attachment 69439

View attachment 69440
Do you have a uhaul store nearby? I was able to find the blankets for $8 at a local uhaul place. They're big so one or two is plenty. I'd be happy to ship you one or two if you need me to.

ChristyW82

Cavy Slave
Do you have a uhaul store nearby? I was able to find the blankets for $8 at a local uhaul place. They're big so one or two is plenty. I'd be happy to ship you one or two if you need me to.

Ah that is very sweet. I can order one from the store for 8 dollars. 2 of them are 6 dollars shipping which isn't to bad. I called one place and they said we had to go to the headquarters which is the next town over. I'll probably just order one. I am thinking of getting two and have 2 sets of fleece. That way while one set is in the wash I can put the backup set it.

Thank you so much for the offer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.