Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Local Shelter Has Pigs For First Time in Three Years

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
I got my first guinea pig, Zelda, in April 2012. Since then I have continued to check Petfinder occasionally to see if the shelter gets any more pigs in (I like to look at pictures) and though I used to see them often before I got Zelda, they haven't had any since I brought her home. Until now. They have two pigs that they claim are 2-year-old sisters (They have almost identical markings, so I'm tempted to believe this), and there is even a video of them on Facebook showing how well behaved they are as a shelter volunteer holds them. I am SO tempted to go get them, or at least go look at them.

But... I'd have to do so much first. They would need their own C&C (I don't want to start any fights between my current three, and their cage is too small for even one more pig). This new cage would have to be on top of my other cage, as it is all the room I have in the house for my pets. To prevent these stacked cages from falling over, I would have to build a new stand or (more likely) keep the cages on the floor and move all their supplies to the garage (which is freezing cold right now and sometimes has a big scary lizard hiding in it). And I don't know what I'd do if the shelter is wrong (again) and one or both pigs are male.

*sigh* I just hope they find a good home. And soon, so the temptation will go away.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have a stacked cage for two pairs and a single cage for one that won't tolerate any other guinea pig and it's worked out really well. If you can afford to care for two more, I'd go for it. 5 guinea pigs isn't unmanageable if you have the funds to cover their needs.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I also have a stacked cage and it works very well. I have it so both my cages are off the floor and I have storage underneath. The top cage is up high but I am still able to feed and spot clean. Once a week when I do a full change I have to stand on a stool but it's still easy.

I'm with pinky, if you have the funds and time then go for it. There are so many pigs needing homes.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
Well, I did it!

I couldn't stop thinking about these girls when I was at work on Monday, especially since I found out their video hadn't been posted on Facebook until they had been at the shelter almost a whole month. So, on Tuesday I asked my mom if I could bring them home (I live in her house) and she said yes. At the shelter they were called "Ellie" and "Lilly." They look very similar to each other, but "Lilly" is noticeably bigger and has a brown patch of fur on her back. They were fed some poor looking pellets at the shelter but luckily they still know that hay, lettuce, and bell peppers are delicious.

They seem quite a bit smaller than my original trio, but their nails are gross enough that I believe they are adults. They are WAY more relaxed than my other pigs, and they've only been here a day. It's almost hard to believe they're all the same species. The girls are currently slumming in a plastic storage tub (about 3 sq. ft.) until I can get some grids delivered. Bed Bath & Beyond didn't have any this time.

This is "Ellie:"
IMG_0264.jpg
This is shy "Lilly" with "Ellie" behind her:
IMG_0265.jpg

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
awwww congrats on bringing the girls home! They do tug on your heartstrings and you can't stop thinking about them! I think their coloring is just gorgeous. Like they've been dipped in sweet caramel. :love: My Bed Bath and Beyond never has grids in stock, but my Walmart sells them online and they did site to store pretty quick. They were $19.99 for 17 grids. Good luck to you and your new family members!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ohhh what a great story and a happy ending to boot! The girls are adorable! I'm sure they are super stoked to be at your home, especially after being at the shelter for a month! So happy they are with someone who will give them proper care rather than a random person who thought they would be, "a fun starter pet" for their kids and who would keep them in an aquarium.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
So happy they are with someone who will give them proper care rather than a random person who thought they would be, "a fun starter pet" for their kids and who would keep them in an aquarium.

When I was at the shelter one of the volunteers said he wanted to get them for his kids but his wife said no. I didn't know how to respond to that so I just smiled and said nothing.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
Today I kept hearing what I thought was Peach's "Save me, I've somehow allowed the other pigs to trap me in a corner!" wheek, but it turns out one of the new pigs just wheeks like that normally. :rolleyes:

By the way, anybody have name ideas for "Ellie?" I already have an Elli, so this one has to change. I'm keeping the name Lilly for the other pig. So far my ideas have been Daisy (fits with her sister's flowery name and with my other girls' Nintendo character names) or Veronica (because I have been watching the TV series Veronica Mars a lot lately and one of her friends on the show was named Lilly).

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
I like Daisy :)

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Daisy! And congrats on the new pigs! They are adorable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.