Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals GENDER: Need help figuring out if male or female.

bobbiesaur

Cavy Slave
Hello, everyone!

Can you please help me tell if my piggy is male or female? I've searched online for pictures for comparison but I still can't figure out which one's which. Lol. So yeah.. I would really appreciate help. Photo is attached. Thank you! :)

Attachments

image.jpg

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Looks like maybe a male.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If you feel just above the genitals you should be able to feel a hardish line if it is a boy, this is the penis.

By the photo it is hard to tell, if you could attempt to take another with you fingers gently spreading the opening it would greatly help us in telling the gender (but its really hard to take a photo is said position without assistance). How old is your guinea pig?

This link might also help you out (broken link removed) - I do not strictly agree with everything said in this link but the pictures are of use.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

bobbiesaur

Cavy Slave
If you feel just above the genitals you should be able to feel a hardish line if it is a boy, this is the penis.

By the photo it is hard to tell, if you could attempt to take another with you fingers gently spreading the opening it would greatly help us in telling the gender (but its really hard to take a photo is said position without assistance). How old is your guinea pig?

This link might also help you out (broken link removed) - I do not strictly agree with everything said in this link but the pictures are of use.

Thank you for the response, everyone.

More photos attached. This is the best I can do. I hope the picture's better. I got peed on twice! Lol. I'm not sure how old Buddy is but I know that he is still young. I'm gonna have to start tracking his weight to find out how old he (or she, lol) probably is.

I've had my piggy for almost 2 weeks now and I'm just so happy that last night piggy finally felt comfortable with me when I wrapped her around a fleece and placed on my tummy just petting him and fell asleep with eyes almost shut and a few where eyes are closed. I've read that it means that piggy is relaxed, right? So I got the chance to check his genitals to figure out if Buddy's male or female. I'm just happy that it's not scared anymore. :)

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Good job that is a great photo this time. That definitely looks like a girl to me.

bobbiesaur

Cavy Slave
Good job that is a great photo this time. That definitely looks like a girl to me.

Thank you so much for the help! I'll probably rename her since my lil brother was the one who name her since we thought she was a boy. Haha. I'm planning on getting another one since she's all alone and planning on getting hopefully a neutered male. If that's a good idea. If not, then I'll just go with another female.

Thanks again. :)

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
Looks like a girl to me, as well.
I am a little concerned about the yellowish stuff near her vagina though. Do you know what that is? Is it like a gunk, or something that's attached to her?

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
@bobbiesaur if you post your location, we would have an idea better to suggest things. For example, i have some ladies up for adoption (missexing issue with original owner and i ended up with them all not just two babies. Gender separated cages of course). Indiana is where i'm at.

bobbiesaur

Cavy Slave
Looks like a girl to me, as well.
I am a little concerned about the yellowish stuff near her vagina though. Do you know what that is? Is it like a gunk, or something that's attached to her?

I'm not really sure what that yellow thing is but I did see it while I taking a picture and even tried to gently wipe it twice with the fleece blanket to see if it comes out. And I can't really see it. I only saw it when I used the macro lens on my phone. Though I think it just might be hay. Her favorite is the hay that makes a mess, I don't know what it's called but I hope you know what I mean.

Do you or anyone has any idea what could it be if it's not hay and how to clean it?

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Fill a tub with just enough water it covers her bum n wash her...i just used water cuz i didn't have any critter soap but you could get some. Gentle rubbing should get it off. Mineral oil would lubricate it while trying to remove too...if you don't want the rubbing to chafe for her too much.

bobbiesaur

Cavy Slave
@bobbiesaur if you post your location, we would have an idea better to suggest things. For example, i have some ladies up for adoption (missexing issue with original owner and i ended up with them all not just two babies. Gender separated cages of course). Indiana is where i'm at.

Thank you. I live in Texas.

I would really love to get a male though since Buddy turns out to be a girl and my little brother wasn't really happy to find that out. Lol

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what it would be, but I don't think it's hay. My Daisy had hay in her vagina when we went to the vet, and it still just looked like little bits of hay.
Has she seen a cavy savvy vet for a new pig check up, at all?

bobbiesaur

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what it would be, but I don't think it's hay. My Daisy had hay in her vagina when we went to the vet, and it still just looked like little bits of hay.
Has she seen a cavy savvy vet for a new pig check up, at all?

Nope, she hasn't visited a vet at all. My parents will not take me unless it's really an emergency. It's hard to explain to them since they think that "it's just a rat". I'm the only one taking care of her but I'm really doing my best. So I really wanna take care of problems myself if possible or as much as possible, unless it's something that really needs medical attention. But if this is really something to be worried about, I will find every way I can to take her to the vet.

bobbiesaur

Cavy Slave
Fill a tub with just enough water it covers her bum n wash her...i just used water cuz i didn't have any critter soap but you could get some. Gentle rubbing should get it off. Mineral oil would lubricate it while trying to remove too...if you don't want the rubbing to chafe for her too much.

Thank you. Would Johnson's Baby Oil work? Is it safe for them?

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
Like I said, I am not sure of what it is. To get a better idea, I'll need to know more.
I need you to describe it as much as possible.
You said you wiped it, did anything happen. Did it move or come off? Can you tell if it's actually attached to her? Is it a lump? Is it crusty? Mucusy?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Honestly, I'd run some warm water in the bathtub and plop her in for 8-10 minutes (sit there with her so she's not freaked out, and put a towel in the bottom of the tub). If you can, get some small exotic pet shampoo (or kitten shampoo will do) and gently wash that area. Rinse very well. When you take her out, just wipe gently and see what comes off.

I don't see anything in that photo that's worrying me.

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
Thank you. Would Johnson's Baby Oil work? Is it safe for them?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe baby oil is basically mineral oil. However, they usually contain scents and/or fragrance. Check the ingredients on your bottle and see if it does. The fragrance would not only bother her sensitive nose, but could potentially irritate the area

If it's fragrance free, I'd go for it!

bobbiesaur

Cavy Slave
Like I said, I am not sure of what it is. To get a better idea, I'll need to know more.
I need you to describe it as much as possible.
You said you wiped it, did anything happen. Did it move or come off? Can you tell if it's actually attached to her? Is it a lump? Is it crusty? Mucusy?

I would need to look at it again. I wiped it and nothing happened. It's not a lump for sure and it's not crusty nor mucusy.

Honestly, I'd run some warm water in the bathtub and plop her in for 8-10 minutes (sit there with her so she's not freaked out, and put a towel in the bottom of the tub). If you can, get some small exotic pet shampoo (or kitten shampoo will do) and gently wash that area. Rinse very well. When you take her out, just wipe gently and see what comes off.

I don't see anything in that photo that's worrying me.

Thank you for the response. I would go and try giving her a bath this week.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe baby oil is basically mineral oil. However, they usually contain scents and/or fragrance. Check the ingredients on your bottle and see if it does. The fragrance would not only bother her sensitive nose, but could potentially irritate the area

If it's fragrance free, I'd go for it!

Okay, thank you so much for the help. Will try that out later.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.