Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Cuddle cup stuffing options

miniver

Cavy Slave
My girls love their cuddle cups but the cups can't handle the use (abuse). They are a loose and floppy version of the donut shaped cup. I use a removable pee pad to line the bottom, so I can go 3-4 days between washings. Fortunately I can sew and made a bunch of them. I stuffed the sides with towels for absorbancy but they aren't handling the washing. They are starting to get really lumpy and getting harder to fluff after each wash.

So, what are the best options - polyfill, batting, foam, different towels? How does each handle the abuse piggies can dish out? I would rather restuff the ones I already have instead of making a new set.

Thanks.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The most common stuffing I see used is batting, and while I've never made any myself I have bought ones stuffed with batting and they hold up really well, they're nice and easy to reshape after a wash.

miniver

Cavy Slave
The names of these items have been used so interchangeably that I'm trying to picture exactly which you are describing. As I know it, a cozy sack looks like a sleeping bag and is one piece with the opening folded back. A cuddle cup is a formed item with a distinct base with the side being a separate piece.

It's a cuddle cup but the side peice is only half stuffed. It's very floppy. My girls prefer it becasue they like to arrange their bedroom. :rolleyes: I wish they liked the sacks but they won't go inside, only under or on top.

I think the concensus is for batting. I think I have some so I'll give that a try.

I'm picturing your piggies wearing cozy-hats.:eek: Adorable.

janinehunt

Cavy Slave
I use sponge pieces for stuffing piggy furniture. I buy it ready shredded in big bags. It washes well, and doesn't clump. Nice and comfy too.

Have a look at my donut bed tutorial if you like. There's a picture of the stuffing I use. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/84955-Piggy-Donut-Bed-Tutorial?highlight=donut+tutorial

I have never made a cuddle cup with it though. I have also used flat pieces of sponge to make cushions and sofas. The method would be different than using batting, but probably simpler.

Here's one of my favourite piggy pics, Basher enjoying her new donut bed:

basher_sleeping.jpg

miniver

Cavy Slave
I used that pattern but made the side peice wider and only partially filled it so it's more bendy (if that's a word). I forgot where I got it until you posted that picture! Thanks.
I love seeing her little pink feet sticking out...and the "pooh under her nose".:love:

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I use two layers of high loft batting in my cuddle cups. It's extra thick and fluffy so it's super comfy and holds up very well. The piggies can still flatten the sides down if they sit on top of it, but they hold their shape through use and washing.

miniver

Cavy Slave
Thanks for convincing me to try batting. My girls love it! The cuddle cups are lighter and the girls are treating them like toys. They are pulling/pushing/bouncing them from one end of the cage to the other. It's like watching a giant beach ball crowd-surf at an outdoor concert. I can't wait to see where it ends up when I get home from work tonight. lol

janinehunt

Cavy Slave
Thanks for convincing me to try batting. My girls love it! The cuddle cups are lighter and the girls are treating them like toys. They are pulling/pushing/bouncing them from one end of the cage to the other. It's like watching a giant beach ball crowd-surf at an outdoor concert. I can't wait to see where it ends up when I get home from work tonight. lol

Sounds like fun! How about a pic?! :D

miniver

Cavy Slave
I don't know what they do all day but it looks like they had fun. They have one of the beds wedged under the step stool.

Who made this mess???
It wasn't us.....
Mess.jpg

Babies need a time out. :eek:

Time out.jpg

janinehunt

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the photos! They are gorgeous piggies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.