Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies My guinea pig won't eat vegetables or pellets.

gibson

Cavy Gazer
Hey I got a guinea pig and Im pretty sure it was not feed well because she will not eat any vegetables. I've tried lettuce, bell pepper, and carrots. Not only will she not eat vegetables she won't eat pellets. The food she was given to me with was full of treats and snacks so I'm trying to switch to Oxbow pellets but she will only eat the treats. It's already been a few weeks and all I can get her to eat is the hay (which she always has access to). I need help, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I cannot get her to eat anything but hay.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
It sounds like she never had veggies and just doesn't want to try them. I would try only one veggie at a time, like carrot, and maybe mince it up to see if she's interested. Or try long strands with a veggie peeler and tuck it in her hay.

In her case, the pellets are important because if she's just eating hay she isn't getting any vitamin C. This can result in scurvy. So keep trying with pellets, and maybe try the Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C tabs to see if she'll eat those.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
In her case, the pellets are important because if she's just eating hay she isn't getting any vitamin C. This can result in scurvy. So keep trying with pellets, and maybe try the Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C tabs to see if she'll eat those.

Pellets are made from hay. As long as guinea pigs are given an unlimited access to hay and they are eating it, pellets aren't necessary.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, if they're eating only hay and no veggies, they do need some vitamins. @gibson, you need to stop feeding the crappy food. She'll eventually come around.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.