Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Spending time with guinea pig - asking for advice

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
As of now, I make sure to get a solid hour of 1 on 1 time with my piggy (that is to say, more is better but I won't compromise on anything less than an hour).

The thing is, I don't know how to "play" with her. Sometimes I'll sit her on my lap and stroke her and give her veggies by hand. Other times I'll go in her cage so that she can move around, and pet her from time to time and give her veggies by hand. And I make sure to talk to her.

But I feel like I could be doing something more proactive.am I missing something? What do you guys do with your cavvie?

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
I also sometimes hide lettuce and make a noise with my hand. She knows to follow that sound- and then she'll search that spot for the veggies

pigtales

Cavy Slave
I just hold them. When I'm getting ready for bed at night I'll grab a book and a guinea pig and we just relax for a while. On the other hand, I do have 4 homeschooled human kids that looove their piggies. There is rarely a waking moment that one of the five pigs isn't out of the cage. But usually they are just "observers" in the kids' play, although sometimes they have starring roles.

Have you considered getting a second pig? Most guinea pigs are happier with a buddy and you wouldn't have to worry as much about getting "quality time" in because they would have each other.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Oh sure yeh. I'm in middle of" negotiations" for a second pig lol.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Sometimes if I lay on the floor with a big fluffy blanket, the pigs will like to run around through the blanket or cuddle in it, just generally exploring it by walking away from me through its folds and then finding their way back to me.

Some people also train their pigs to do tricks like you could with a dog, though I've never done it myself.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Do you take your piggy outside for grass time? I love to take mine out in their pen and sit with them. I also just put mine on the floor in the living room, any pee i just press paper towel into the carpet to soak up and vac poops later. It's worth it to watch them run around and explore

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Comely Guineas, you're just asking for a carpet that eventually smells if you're pressing the urine into it. Throw down an old blanket or quilt to protect it, and save yourself an expensive carpet replacement.

katkor03

Cavy Slave
Even if you just sit and read a book or do homework next to their pen helps :) I like to read them a little passage from what I'm studying or tell them what I'm learning cause it helps me too. Of course, I always bring food and give them the pets and scritches they love.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Make some tunnels and even make a tunnel out of yourself by sitting on the floor and letting her run in and out between your legs. We have a Trixie puzzle game we play with them too where they have to figure out how to get to the goodies, ( veggies ) underneath. Granted, the store bought games are not cheap, but you can make your own versions. I'm sure you will find lots of ideas on Google.

Meganii

Cavy Slave
I like to have my piggie on my lap when I do my homework or when i'm on the computer (Right now) and feed him some veggies, at the moment I only have one piggie (I tried getting him a male friend, didn't work out so I'm letting him recover both mentally and phisically for a month or so) so until I can get him neutered and get him a female friend I try to give him as much time on my lap as possible whenever I have the chance because I know he loves it but I recomend sitting at a desk and putting the veggies on tthe desk and making them climb to try and get them ( always keep your hands under them, because you never know if they could slip)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.