Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Please look at my newest girl (Brownie)

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I adopted her with her sister yesterday from the county shelter. The vet cleared her to go home with me.

When she came into the shelter, she was severely matted so they had to cut as much as they can off. There is a bald spot (according them it is healing and was a scab), they put an antibiotic cream over it. It isn't bleeding just looks like skin with a little rawness. I called an exotic vet but they are all booked and the earliest they can see her is next Thursday. Am I over reacting on this?

[video=youtube_share;sjNIIb-uB60]https://youtu.be/sjNIIb-uB60[/video]

At the end of this video, I cut more matted fur off her and gave her a bath. Both of them smelled really bad (not surprise since they were seized from Animal control due to poor living conditions).

They are both eating (veggies, pellets and hay) and the water bottle was 90% empty within 24 hours.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
@bpatters@lisssie @lunarminx

I forgot to mentioned the appointment is booked next Thursday, I can always cancel if I am over reacting but I would rather be safe then sorry.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you see her grease gland apart from that sore? It's hard to tell from the picture. But sometimes other pigs will pick on one that has something wrong. So if she had a small infection in her grease gland, another pig could have barbered her.

I think the antibiotic cream is fine. Put it on with a q-tip so that you're not handling it, and if she's housed with another pig, apply it sparingly and rub it in well so the other pig won't lick it. If it hasn't started to improve in a few days, we may want to try an antifungal cream instead. But let's give this a chance to work.

I think it's fine to wait on the vet. You can cancel next week if it looks like things are improving.

Glad you got them. Things are lookin' up!

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Can you see her grease gland apart from that sore? It's hard to tell from the picture. But sometimes other pigs will pick on one that has something wrong. So if she had a small infection in her grease gland, another pig could have barbered her.

I think the antibiotic cream is fine. Put it on with a q-tip so that you're not handling it, and if she's housed with another pig, apply it sparingly and rub it in well so the other pig won't lick it. If it hasn't started to improve in a few days, we may want to try an antifungal cream instead. But let's give this a chance to work.

I think it's fine to wait on the vet. You can cancel next week if it looks like things are improving.

Glad you got them. Things are lookin' up!
The bald spot is slightly left from the grease gland.

She is being quarantine with her cage maye, I haven't seen her cage mate licking that spot.

uploadfromtaptalk1467928925409.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1467928935009.jpg

Just applied some antibiotic cream on the bald spot.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Was she quarantined before, or living with her sister?

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Was she quarantined before, or living with her sister?

She was in the same cage with her sister at the county shelter before I adopted them. The only past history I got from the county shelter that both were in poor living conditions when animal control seized them from the previous owner.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This is just me, and I'm not recommending it, but if I had them, I wouldn't separate them. If that were something contagious, I'd expect it the lesions to be spread over her body, and for her sister to show some of the same signs. The fact that it was a scabbed-over place that is already healing would make me worry much less about the other pig getting anything. If you keep them separate for very long, you'll have to do full reintroductions when you put them back together.

Just my $.02, of course.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I'm choosing to keep them together. I don't want to stress them out by separating them.

Update: The County Vet called me yesterday (in shock that they would do that) turns out it was the Vet that did the intake exam and she happens to own 3 sows herself. She did not find anything wrong with the both them, the wound happened when they were cutting the matted fur off her. She didn't treat for mites because she didn't observe any scratching or hair loss (procedural stuff that they have to follow).

I did tell her that I treated the two new adoptees + my herd with ivermectin and she said that was a good call for precautionary measures. She suggested I treat again in 10 days just in case.

I did my own exam, checked the ears, full body check for lumps, scratches, scabs (none), did check both their mouth. No crusty eyes or wheezing. Their poop looks normal along with their appetite.

I'm still going to keep the Vet appointment for Thursday.

The bald spot seems like it is healing (no scabs, saw a little bit of fur growing).

rotto77

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear she on the mend

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
It looks like a 'hot spot' which dogs sometimes get. My dog had something like that which was caused by him licking and biting that spot due to something which irritated it. (bite, etc). Basically the skin is left wet and raw. His got infected. The vet gave me some antibacterial shampoo and ointment to cure it. Is your pigs bald spot wet at all? Maybe look into that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not a hot spot. It's where the vet nicked her when trying to get the matted hair off of her. It doesn't need "curing," the new skin just needs to be watched carefully while it's healing.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry if the antibiotic cream is helping, keep the vet appointment if you feel better but expect a few days more before any fuzz to grow back if it decides to.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Update:

I took the texel and her cage mate (not set on names yet) to the vet. The texel had the appointment and the cage mate went for moral support.

The exotic vet gave the clean bill of health, the bald spot was caused by cutting, it has healed, no pinkness just skin now with a little fur growing. The vet see's no sign of mites or anything to be concerned about. She did see her cage mate too because she was cute so she did an exam on her too...both got the clean bill of health.

Thank you everyone for putting my mind to ease. I am still going to quarantine the both of them away from the herd because it has been a 8 days since I adopted both of them.

Question:

Should I do the full 3 weeks or longer?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.