Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss Found two guinea pigs outside - not sure what to do

Ruskointhehizzy

Cavy Gazer
Hi on a walk with our dog my gf and I came across two guinea pigs in the ivy bushes in our apartments - well our dog found them. They look really healthy and well taken care of so we think they are pets. They are in a nice shaded place away from danger so we decided to leave them for now and check on them in a few hours. We just don't know what would be the best course of action. there were no open doors or places we saw that they could have come from... We hope they are not abandoned - they look well taken care of so that would be odd . any advice??? If they are still there tonight we will take them in for the night so they don't get sick in the cold - but we have no experience with these so have no idea how to take care of them. I was thinking to take them in and to put up signs. We are open to suggestions and thanks for the help in advanced!

Ruskointhehizzy

Cavy Gazer
This just happened too like ten minutes ago and the weather is really nice out right now fyi - we are animal lovers here and trying to do the right thing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then go catch them, immediately. They're prey animals, can't run fast in comparison with animals of prey, and something will kill them.

You can probably trap them easier with boxes than with your hands.

And then take them to an animal shelter, or preferably, a guinea pig rescue if there's one near you.

Alternatively, call your city/county animal control and tell them to come get them. But if you do that, go outside and stay with them until animal control gets there.

They probably were pets, but someone dumped them.

Ruskointhehizzy

Cavy Gazer
Then go catch them, immediately. They're prey animals, can't run fast in comparison with animals of prey, and something will kill them.

You can probably trap them easier with boxes than with your hands.

And then take them to an animal shelter, or preferably, a guinea pig rescue if there's one near you.

Alternatively, call your city/county animal control and tell them to come get them. But if you do that, go outside and stay with them until animal control gets there.

They probably were pets, but someone dumped them.
That's a good idea to use a box. I will look around for a guinea pig rescue. I live in a big city so hopefully there is one. Thank you for the advice - gonna go catch them

Ruskointhehizzy

Cavy Gazer
Hey just caught them and put them in a box in my bathroom with some shredded brown paper - gave them a few piecs of green lettuce in case their hungry. They are so cute idk how you could dump something so innocent and adorable...

Attachments

017924CF-76F4-49C8-B2BC-B75735C63D54.jpg 1647B218-16D5-401A-B1BA-2ECED1F03C0A.jpg

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Hey just caught them and put them in a box in my bathroom with some shredded brown paper - gave them a few piecs of green lettuce in case their hungry. They are so cute idk how you could dump something so innocent and adorable...
Good luck re homing them what a beautiful Abyssinian :love:

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh, they are so adorable. Hopefully they weren't dumped. Thank you for taking them in and looking after them, at least temporarily.

Ruskointhehizzy

Cavy Gazer
Good luck re homing them what a beautiful Abyssinian :love:

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Thank you, I think I found a good rescue in my area. Have them a call but no answer will call again. It's called California Northern Cavy Rescue.

Ruskointhehizzy

Cavy Gazer
Oh, they are so adorable. Hopefully they weren't dumped. Thank you for taking them in and looking after them, at least temporarily.
we think they were, no way they could escape a cage and open a door... They were deliberately placed there. It makes us sick - we rescued a Chihuahua here too. I'm going to have a convo with the property manager about people abandoning their pets. Our next door neighbor left their cat when they moved and we took care of him - he would then in return kill birds and mice and leave them at our door step

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
we think they were, no way they could escape a cage and open a door... They were deliberately placed there. It makes us sick - we rescued a Chihuahua here too. I'm going to have a convo with the property manager about people abandoning their pets. Our next door neighbor left their cat when they moved and we took care of him - he would then in return kill birds and mice and leave them at our door step

That makes me sick, too. I could never, EVER abandon any animal like that, especially something as gentle and sweet as a cavy. There's just no excuse for it.

Please, keep us updated on what happens with them. This forum is absolutely full of information you might need, even if it is short term care. They DO need fairly specific foods and whatnot.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for catching them.

If you need to keep them overnight, you could get a small bag of timothy hay for them. Between the hay and the lettuce, they'll be ok for a day or so.

Gigizerogravity

Cavy Slave
Bless your soul, those poor things were certainly scared and because of your kindness, they are safe. I wish more people cared about defenseless animals like you do

Ruskointhehizzy

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone thanks for the heart warming words!
Here's an update:
I got them the timothy hay the night of and they love it they go crazy for it - I also got them some pellets and more veggy's - a cage and bedding.
As for finding them a home...
We found a place I mentioned early called "California Northern Cavy Rescue"
and man what a mess... The lady NEVER answers her phone or responds to text and on Friday was supposed to meat up at 7:30 and come that time just stops responding to our text so we set it up to meat tongiht, Sunday at 7:45. My girlfriend drives all the way out there - 30 minutes and she is nowhere to be found, doesn't answer the phone and still hasn't responded to any text. So that's over an hour of driving for a no call no show. She said it would be 20 bucks for each one too, which we didn't mind paying but she kept bringing it up - so it's like is that all you care about?

We are going to find someone more reliable because at this point we don't even feel comfortable leaving them with her. She could have at least called or texted.
So looks like we will have them a bit longer then anticipated. We like having them around but our schedules are full and it is hard to budget time.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks for caring for them. I'm sorry the rescue didn't work out. But if you're in the Bay Area, I believe there are several rescues there. PM the admin Lissie and ask her if she knows of a reliable rescue.

Ruskointhehizzy

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for caring for them. I'm sorry the rescue didn't work out. But if you're in the Bay Area, I believe there are several rescues there. PM the admin Lissie and ask her if she knows of a reliable rescue.
Okay I'm going to do that. I'm not in the Bay area I'm in Sacramento but don't mind the drive - I love going out there :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.