Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Sick Pig. Abdominal Swelling - Sow

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
she is eating some hay. not not her usual. But a little
I gave her some green leaf and she ate that really well.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I gave her one dose of the simethicone.
And every 30 minutes I put turn her into a burrito and put her on the bed with my toothbrush under her for like 30 minutes.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hopefully that will be enough. I suspect it's going to be a long night for you, Kim, watching and worrying.

My boys all send their wheeks of support. Do keep us updated?

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Update -
Joanie is eating, peeing and pooping. The poops are small and irregularly shaped but I am so happy to see every little piece.
Her belly is also less distended. Her regular gushy figure is returning.

We did the toothbrush and towel procedure a few times during the night. And I gave her another dose of the simethicone.

So, her symptoms are improving.

All of this is good because I love my girl and because the roads today are worse than they were yesterday. And because of the road conditions I am out of work again today.

I have checked on the cost of an Uber to get me from here to Nashville. But the issue would be to find a driver willing to get on the interstate in these conditions.

Having a sick pig during a southern snowpocalypse is a bit of a nightmare. But she is doing better and I am beyond grateful
Thanks for all the support and warm thoughts!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So happy to hear she's doing better! Can't wait to hear more good news!

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Joanie continues to improve! Sooooo grateful!
She seems to really enjoy the vibrating burrito, so, we are continue with that. Her poos are near perfect in shape and consistency. Just not frequency yet.
Belly is no longer distended. But still a bit bloated I feel.

lucky for Joanie, I slipped last night and bruised my ribs. So, although our snow days are over, I am still home to keep an eye on her.

Telling her to keep getting better. Waiting on her poos to turn the tide.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so happy for Joanie, and for you! Sounds like you may have dodged a bullet for sure, but I'm hoping everything is back in order for her shortly.

Take it easy on those ribs, they're very painful. I broke 4 ribs in my back about 12-13 years ago. Excruciating.

How's her intake? She sounds like she'll need lots of fibre from hay/pellets.

Keep us all updated on how she's doing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yay for better!

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
She is doing well with her hay and had her regular veggies for breakfast.

Keeping her separate from her sissy till her poos are better.
Sissy (who is not the dominate pig in the cage) seemed to be enjoying having the house to herself.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How is miss Joanie doing this morning?

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Joanie continues to improve. I would say she is at like 90% right now.
I still have her separated from her cage mate, but I think I will put her back in tomorrow if she gives me a good night of poos.

For those with experience with a piggy with bloat.... Once they have it does it make them more prone toward it? Wondering if I should make vibration a part of her regular lap time. Anything preventative I should be doing?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Joanie continues to improve. I would say she is at like 90% right now.
I still have her separated from her cage mate, but I think I will put her back in tomorrow if she gives me a good night of poos.

Very glad to hear that she's doing so much better! Way to go miss Joanie!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Absolutely one episode of bloat can make them more prone to another one. I don't know that regular vibration would help, but I'd keep simethicone and a gut stimulant on hand. I'd also skip feeding any veggies that can cause gas, and introduce any new foods very slowly to make sure they don't cause problems.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Thanks. She is good about eating her regular veggies, so, I will be sure not to give her anything new and particularly gaseous.

Absolutely one episode of bloat can make them more prone to another one. I don't know that regular vibration would help, but I'd keep simethicone and a gut stimulant on hand. I'd also skip feeding any veggies that can cause gas, and introduce any new foods very slowly to make sure they don't cause problems.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I'd also recommend keeping Critical Care on hand. That way if her gut slows down, but she is still pooping some, you can hand feed her to keep it moving along. I have a sow that has GI issues (not full-on bloat, but gets gassy and stops eating) and Critical Care has literally saved her life.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I slipped last night and bruised my ribs.

Kim, it seems that you and I had a similar day yesterday. I teach an 0800 class on Thursdays and arrived a bit early yesterday. I slipped on the ice, did a face-plant and still managed to teach a three-hour class (albeit it poorly). I was later persuaded to go to the Emergency Department where I was diagnosed with a mild concussion. Today I have what is known as post-concussion syndrome with a headache, mild dizziness and difficulty concentrating.....plus a large purple shiner around my right eye. Thankfully, it wasn't more serious.

Take care of those bruised ribs! I suspect that even breathing is uncomfortable? So happy that Joanie has turned the corner and is feeling better. The boys and I send our well wishes to you all!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Having this one episode of bloat definitely makes her more prone to bloating in the future. I would strongly recommend talking to your vet and seeing about keeping gas meds, pain meds and a gut stimulant on hand, as well as hand feeding equipment. Bloat and stasis is much easier to reverse if you catch it in it's very early stage.

I have a 7 year old girl who is very prone to bloating after her first big episode of bloat about a year and a half ago. She's on daily metacam already but I keep cisapride and metoclopramide on hand to administer as necessary. As soon as I notice something amiss with her I will give her a dose and try to get things moving. Usually all she needs is a dose or two. Unfortunately this is a fairly regular occurance for her and seems to happen about once a month or so.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Ohh. Ouch!! I am sorry about your fall!
A concussion is so disorienting.
Don't over do it!

Breathing is ok today except deep breathing. So I am sorta panting. And I would love to do a full body stretch. But I know it would probably have me on the floor.
So, just talking it easy with the pigs and netflix

Kim, it seems that you and I had a similar day yesterday. I teach an 0800 class on Thursdays and arrived a bit early yesterday. I slipped on the ice, did a face-plant and still managed to teach a three-hour class (albeit it poorly). I was later persuaded to go to the Emergency Department where I was diagnosed with a mild concussion. Today I have what is known as post-concussion syndrome with a headache, mild dizziness and difficulty concentrating.....plus a large purple shiner around my right eye. Thankfully, it wasn't more serious.

Take care of those bruised ribs! I suspect that even breathing is uncomfortable? So happy that Joanie has turned the corner and is feeling better. The boys and I send our well wishes to you all!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.