Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Putting as much cage as possible in a smaller space?

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
@sabrinaxceleste look on The Freecycle Network for a boxspring and a frame for your mattress then shove it FULL! LOL you can hang up pants and put underware in bins under the bed then get rid of the dresser. I find dressers are a huge waste of space. Plus it seems like people have way too many clothes. Really you only need 4-5 pants and a weeks worth of tops and such...

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I'm going to go ahead and be crazy and just throw this out here, is there any way you can get a loft bed? The way I see it, if your bed can go up, then you can move the bookcase underneath and make the cage larger? Idk, it's hard to see.

I had to rearrange my room several times to fit everything for myself. My fish tank had to go down to the basement, but that's okay.

Honestly in that situation, I would extend outwards. At one point I had a 2x7 with a 3x2 attached to one side that jutted out infront of a lot of my desk, and I could barely get through, and I just learned to live with it :p Even know, part of my loft sits on my desk, and to make room my book shelf has to sit on the other end.

Could you get rid of the bookshelves and turn the cage into an L shape?

MandaC76

Cavy Slave
Well don't forget to take pics of the process! I have a HUGE fetish for organizing! LOL

I say the first thing you need to do is assess what you REALLY need and what you CAN live without. Don't keep clothes that do not currently fit or flatter you. There is no point even if it was a gift!

If you set up a pandora account and/or a netflix account you can listen to music and watch tv right on your comp and then can sell off your cds and dvds except for maybe a dozen of your absolute favs!

Next set up organizationally functional space. Put things that are the least used in the hardest to reach places. Put the most frequently used items in the easiest places.

I would definately consider asking about some near the ceiling storage shelves. This is a pic of my previous cage before I moved to my current apartment...

P1050531-1.jpg

I store a LOT of stuff up on those shelves. I still have shelves they are now in every room of the apt but now there are 2 rows! LOL

I no longer have my cage on the tables I have a cage stand now.

This is my current cage:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-i-gonna-completely-rebuild-cage-again-i.html

The Pandora/Netflix idea is great, but you can also get a flash drive or external hard drive & put all your CDs & DVDs on them, that way, if anything happened to your computer, you would still have them. There are also storage areas online like iCloud and such that can store all pics, movies & songs forever. Just some ideas. Also, I have lost or had stolen many precious items/possessions especially in the last 2 years that I thought I couldn't live without. Guess what? I am doing ok. Do I miss some of it? Yes, but having my daughter & my furkids is all I really need and want. Stuff is just that, stuff. You will always have memories and luckily nowadays most everything can be digitized and read, heard, and seen online via computer, smartphone, tablet, and media box! I was near hoarder status, and it gives you anxiety to think about downsizing, but what is most important to you. Just prioritize, and we will all help where we can just like we know you will help us where you can.

Good luck! Looks like you have your hands full!

sabrinaxceleste

Cavy Slave
@(broken link removed) look on The Freecycle Network for a boxspring and a frame for your mattress then shove it FULL! LOL you can hang up pants and put underware in bins under the bed then get rid of the dresser. I find dressers are a huge waste of space. Plus it seems like people have way too many clothes. Really you only need 4-5 pants and a weeks worth of tops and such...

@Onetwo- Unfortunately, we're broke. lol. My boyfriend lost his job (it was supposed to be temporary until he got his permit...he did, now they're giving him the runaround), and while his parents pay for the animals and groceries while he waits to get it back (soon? fingers crossed!), even if we could I'm not sure what we could put under there! Everything we've got left out on shelves/in my dresser is basically our hygiene stuff, school books, and my coupon drawers. My boyfriend's dresser is what our tv sits on. Well. I'll probably just go make my own post after my boyfriend leaves for school~ don't want to hijack this person's board. Sorry. c: Teehee.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Freecycle is an online classifieds of items people are giving away for FREE! You just need to go and pick it up! Sign up and add all the cities and counties that are near you and keep an eye out for free stuff that you want/need. Some people give away crazy things just to get rid of it!

Sounds like a crappy situation. Hopefully no one gets sick..

sabrinaxceleste

Cavy Slave
Really! Never heard of it. I'll definitely have to check into that. :) Maybe I can find a sturdy bed frame that way. Or even if it breaks... oh well, it was free. (We've had two break.. two. My guy is a big guy, and he kind of throws his weight around without thinking about it.)

No worries! I know stuff happens, and I do have a savings account that I've piled a few thousand dollars into by doing surveys to take care of the pigs and my two cats for just that reason.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
@sabrinaxceleste if you need a heavier duty bed I recommend maybe finding a waterbed/captains frame. I find those are able to distribute the weight a bit better than those flimsy ones. It might be obvious but cutting back on food expenses for his health is pretty important too! Its not good to have a lot of weight and can get very expensive to buy all the food as well.

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
Wow, you are definitely an Animal Lover! You remind me of a young Mark Marrone, haha :) Anyway, I would also suggest raising your bed up. Either with some cinderblocks or those lifts they sell. Or you could even get a loft bed to make it even higher. For the books, what about a shelf or two going along the top of the room, just under the ceiling? As long as they aren't books you need a lot, that is!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.