Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing, Bella-Rose! (RIP Mooshy)

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying forgive or forget at all. Your story about having to leave Mooshy somewhere that you didn't want to rings very true with me. My pigs are the reason why I don't go on vacation, and if I do have to go away, I go alone, because the only other one I trust to look after my boys properly is my wife.

I wish there was a way to take that pain away from you. Just know that in the circumstances that have happened since, Mooshy HAS forgiven you, and has steered you down a different path of happiness with a new little girl. I think it's her way of making sure that you're looked after.
I hope I never have to leave Bella with anyone. I'm paranoid now. Yelp said great things about Andy's Pet Shop including the boarding but the pics don't match what you see there. It's like a run down warehouse. Maybe those photos on yelp are of their old place, don't know. I have asked Mooshy to forgive me countless times while sobbing at night in the dark. I'm sure she forgives me which not sure if it helps or not. I'm just as responsible as those people at Andy's Pet Shop who let her down by at least not checking in on her frequently! They stuck to their stupid am and pm during the hottest time ever in history of San Jose! Maybe they couldn't have saved her but to hear last check on her was in the early am from Lissa absolutely both killed me and made me livid.

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're not responsible AT ALL, Artista. You left her with, what all your research said, were competent individuals who would look after Mooshy well. You even stressed to them her needs and the importance of keeping her cool. You did everything you could do in light of the surgery you had to have. I know that you never would have left her there had you known the outcome. The fault is theirs, and theirs alone. Hopefully others heed your message and Mooshys' story will prevent another needless tragedy.

Artista

Cavy Slave
You're not responsible AT ALL, Artista. You left her with, what all your research said, were competent individuals who would look after Mooshy well. You even stressed to them her needs and the importance of keeping her cool. You did everything you could do in light of the surgery you had to have. I know that you never would have left her there had you known the outcome. The fault is theirs, and theirs alone. Hopefully others heed your message and Mooshys' story will prevent another needless tragedy.

But my gut has always been right in the past. And I could have rescheduled the surgery for when Cavy House was back from hiking. She's looked after Mooshy before in her nice place in La Honda. But I will try not to beat myself up. I go from being ok to massive beat up. This past Wed was 1 month since I found her dead in that shop so it's still fresh. I will always advocate for better conditions especially for animals that are left in your care. Closer attention than 2 x a day needs to be done on someone else's pet who you've entrusted to care for. Do whatever with your own pigs/adoptables, but boarders should be looked after closer especially when the person trusting you with your pet is imploring you to please do so 100 times.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I won't argue that point at all. I completely agree, if You're going to board people's pets you should be going above and beyond for them. Totally with you on that.

Artista

Cavy Slave
In other news.......What better Saturday night to have than Bella-Rose chillin on her mama! The last photo she's checking herself out on my fb page.
IMG_3098.jpgIMG_3099.jpgIMG_3101.jpgIMG_3104.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Awwwww, that's just adorable! The last pic is priceless! She really seems to have taken to you!

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
It's a month now since I found Mooshy dead at Andy's Pet Shop in San Jose, where there is NO a/c. They told me no worries, they have fans and frozen water bottles to help cool them down. I told them Mooshy doesn't know heat. I have a/c on the warm days. I said it several times, wrote it down on the care form. I was put at easy multiple times with we'll keep a close eye on her. If she doesn't look well, we take animals to the vet. So I assumed they'd do more checks on these 106+ days we had in unprecedented heat in the Bay Area CA Labor Day weekend. Nope. Was told last check was in the am. My friend and I got there at 7:00 PM! What?? So much for keeping a close eye on her they promised me. And where was the frozen bottle? Necropsy didn't show anything was wrong with her. I knew it. She was just fine going in. Just saw her exotic vet a couple months before. The heat did her in after a few days of bearing it.

My fam knew my deep loss esp the way she went in that Andy's Pet Shop that looks like it's going to fall down any moment. The photos on yelp don't reflect very well what it looks like. 4 days after her passing, my fam showed up on my doorstep with a baby, not a replacement, but they know my deep love of animals. I had already cleaned out Mooshy's pen but it was still set up so Bella-Rose went right in popcorning and wheeking all the way. Here are some photos of her, starting with her exotic vet visit with Dr. Welsh of Wildwood Veterinary Hospital in San Jose on 9/21 through this week of 10/1.- THE best, kindest, most loving exotic vet anywhere is her and her husband Dr. Chris Sanders who was my birds exotic vet for 20+ years in Redwood City.View attachment 83613View attachment 83614View attachment 83615View attachment 83616

View attachment 83612
I'm so sorry for your loss rip Mooshy

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Artista

Cavy Slave
A few more cuteness overload pics of my girl..

Nosy:
IMG_3141.jpg

Arial viewof relaxing on me..
IMG_3151.jpg

No better view for me than this:
IMG_3152.jpg

Someone is VERY relaxed..
IMG_3171.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That last picture is absolutely PRICELESS, Artista! I hope you've taken to her, as much as she seems to have taken to you. I've never had a piggy lie on me like that before, they usually just curl up in a ball on my chest. She certainly is very comfortable, and is very trusting of you.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Also, Abys' seem hard to find. In pet stores all I've seen are smooth hair gps. Even in gp rescue places I've never seen an Aby.
That's true about abys at pet stores however I got one of my piggies from a guinea pig rescue (primarily cats) and he's an adorable Aby

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
I've got a huge Abby (1200 grams), so I wouldn't say it's true that they're smaller. As for whether they're hard to find, it depends. Mine is from a rescue. They weren't swimming in Abbies but they had a few. It was probably the second most common breed after the Americans.
My Aby is 1200 too!

Artista

Cavy Slave
That last picture is absolutely PRICELESS, Artista! I hope you've taken to her, as much as she seems to have taken to you. I've never had a piggy lie on me like that before, they usually just curl up in a ball on my chest. She certainly is very comfortable, and is very trusting of you.
Oh no worries, she had my heart from day 1. She'll be 8 weeks on Sunday. The 5 weeks I've had her has flown by! Wish she's stay a baby.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Babies are so much fun. I can't believe the hooligans are already a year old. It certainly would be nice if they stayed babies longer.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Congratulations!! She is beautiful, she has such lovely markings, and that last pic is just precious. I know your Mooshy would be very happy to know that you have opened your heart to another little piggy. I wish you many happy years with your new little girl :love:

Spartan021

Cavy Slave
hey at least your guinea pig math didn't get messed up. got one guinea pig 1+0=10 guinea pigs. we have two adult ales two adult females an six babies

Artista

Cavy Slave
hey at least your guinea pig math didn't get messed up. got one guinea pig 1+0=10 guinea pigs. we have two adult ales two adult females an six babies
Unfortunately my energy level and pocketbook don't allow for my math to be off. Otherwise if I had a bigger place, the energy and funds- more gps and I'd restart my love of bird keeping. Got to know your limits though. I know mine. Since I'm home 24/7 and she's right next to the couch where I live, I give Bella A+ in everything which is tiring esp since she is so active and loves hanging with me so I know I can't handle more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.