Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Ear Infection - Head Tilt - Turning in a Circle - Questions for Group

lb229

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone -

Yesterday, I noticed my piggie Georgia was tilting her head and she looked odd. She was also staying in her pigloo more than usual. After searching this forum and others, I took her to the vet. The vet checked her ears and said it looked normal but swabbed them and she found some bacteria. She wasn't sure she had an infection - because Georgia acted just fine while we were there. She prescribed Baytril as eardrops and orally to give her 2x per day and Metacam 2x per day. As soon as we got home, Georgie started the strange turning in a circle and just laid in her pigloo rather lethargic. When she tried to drink out of her water bottle her body turned and she walked back to her pigloo. I gave her pellets from my hand and water from a syringe.
Today she ate lettuce and cucumber and some pellets on her own and seemed to have more energy but still has the strange tilt and turning - not constant - every now and then.

I have a few questions if anyone has experience with this -

1. Any tips on administering the ear drops would be greatly appreciated.
2. Can I expect a recovery - I know they are so delicate - I'm praying she recovers!
3. Her cagemate Penelope (who is the submissive one - Georgia is definitely the dominant pig) seems more bold with Georgia - can she be concerned?

Thank you all for any advice you can give me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not sure you can expect a recovery, because that vet didn't treat the problem. Turning in a circle is a sign of an inner ear infection, and Baytrils drops treat the outer ear. The medicine is never going to get to where it needs to be.

You need to see a better vet ASAP, before the turning becomes permanent and before your pig develops an overwhelming infection. Small animal (dog and cat) vets are mostly useless at treating guinea pigs, and some are downright dangerous. You need to see an exotic vet. If it's treated promptly, she may fully recover.

Meganii

Cavy Slave
Until you can get her to an exotic vet you should keep her comfortable and keep her food and water close to her pigloo, that way she might find it a bit easier and be more inclined to eat. But I do think a second opinion from an experienced exotic vet would help a lot.

lb229

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure you can expect a recovery, because that vet didn't treat the problem. Turning in a circle is a sign of an inner ear infection, and Baytrils drops treat the outer ear. The medicine is never going to get to where it needs to be.

You need to see a better vet ASAP, before the turning becomes permanent and before your pig develops an overwhelming infection. Small animal (dog and cat) vets are mostly useless at treating guinea pigs, and some are downright dangerous. You need to see an exotic vet. If it's treated promptly, she may fully recover.

She is an exotic animal vet - are you sure its incorrect? She is eating and moving about today.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
She prescribed Baytril as eardrops and orally to give her 2x per day and Metacam 2x per day.

So she is also getting oral baytril for possible infection?

lb229

Cavy Slave
yes, she is getting baytril as ear drops and as an oral antibiotic
she is also getting metacam as an anti inflammatory

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
So [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] would oral baytril treat the ear infection properly then? How many days worth did she get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lb229

Cavy Slave
7 days worth of everythiing

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry, I missed that she's getting Baytril orally. That's what I get for trying to respond on my phone rather than the computer. My bad.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I missed that she's getting Baytril orally. That's what I get for trying to respond on my phone rather than the computer. My bad.

I figured as much but since this isn't my area of expertise I thought I'd check :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lb229

Cavy Slave
Thank you - you had me very worried - so appreciate the response! She is taking baytril as eardrops AND orally. Its so hard to get the eardrops in her ears and when i do she shakes and it comes out. Hopefully some stays in. Also, with the oral baytril I'm not sure she got all in her mouth - I'm trying my best.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ugh, ear drops, I can relate! Ferb is like a ninja when it comes to avoiding ear or eye drops. Once you get the drop in the ear hold it closed so when she shakes her head it doesn't fly out.

I hope she gets better fast!

lb229

Cavy Slave
New Issue -Re: Ear Infection - Head Tilt - Turning in a Circle - Questions for Group-

So Georgia has been on antibiotics - tomorrow will be two weeks. Head tilt and vertigo issues are gone. Still not eating 100% but now she is chasing her cagemate Penelope non-stop for hours and trying to put her nose in Penelope's rear. I think she is trying to eat Penelope's poop. Georgia's poop has been small and tan not like it was before antibiotics. Penelope is very distressed. Please any guidance is greatly appreciated. Also, Georgia has been getting critical care syringe fed 1x per day.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My guess is that Georgia is in heat, and that things will calm down in a short while. She may well be trying to eat Penelope's poops, and you should help her by mushing fresh poop up in water and syringing it to her. Any pig on antibiotics should be getting either probiotics or poop soup from a healthy pig.

lb229

Cavy Slave

lb229

Cavy Slave
also, spoke to the vet this morning and got reglan and bene bac for her so hope it will help

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I'm happy to read that little Georgia is recovering <3

lb229

Cavy Slave
Chasing almost non-stop is continuing - I feel so bad for Penelope she cant get any rest and is constantly harassed - should I separate?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd give it another day. If it's heat-related, it should last no more than 48 hours.

How old is Georgia? Sometimes mounting behavior can be a sign of ovarian cysts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.