Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Apartment Dilema ...

sierralj97

Cavy Slave
I've found the perfect apartment for me, but with one catch. They won't allow my guinea pigs!

I'm allowed to bring my cat along with a $200 pet deposit, but when I asked about small caged animals (followed by "Ya know, like a guinea pig") she shook her head and said no caged animals...

Is this strange?? I don't understand how a cat that's free-roaming and can do damage to the apartment is allowed, but not guinea pigs. I didn't go into detail with her because at the time I was just viewing the apartment, but now I'm signing the lease.

Any ideas for trying to negotiate when I sign the lease?

If I can't take them, my mom has agreed to keep them (she loves them as much as I do, haha! We always agreed she'd be my backup when I got the pigs in the first place in case I had trouble finding a rental in the future) so they won't be out on the street, but I'd love to take them with me and see them more than 1-2 days a week :(

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've found the perfect apartment for me, but with one catch. They won't allow my guinea pigs!

I'm allowed to bring my cat along with a $200 pet deposit, but when I asked about small caged animals (followed by "Ya know, like a guinea pig") she shook her head and said no caged animals...

Is this strange?? I don't understand how a cat that's free-roaming and can do damage to the apartment is allowed, but not guinea pigs. I didn't go into detail with her because at the time I was just viewing the apartment, but now I'm signing the lease.

Any ideas for trying to negotiate when I sign the lease?

If I can't take them, my mom has agreed to keep them (she loves them as much as I do, haha! We always agreed she'd be my backup when I got the pigs in the first place in case I had trouble finding a rental in the future) so they won't be out on the street, but I'd love to take them with me and see them more than 1-2 days a week :(

Take photos of your setup so she can see how it's arranged. Offer to leave a larger than required deposit to cover damages.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Most apartments that don't allow damaged animals do so because other tenants don't enjoy finding rodent droppings when caged animals get loose, or else because bunnies destroy apartments.
My apartment is completely pet free except for fish and service animals, but since I agreed to sign a 2 year lease I was able to have it written into my lease as a note.
Talk to the person, a lot of apartment workers get a salaried commission, so they would probably be willing to make that tiny change to get their $. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET IT IN WRITING

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.