Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New member, but not new to cavies. Question about a biting baby.

Penny L

Cavy Gazer
We have had guinea pigs in our lives for over 20 years. A couple of months ago, I adopted two sisters, born May 3, 2018, from a nearby rabbit rescue that also rescues guinea pigs. They had taken in a pregnant female who had three babies. I adopted two of the babies, Annie and Rosie, when they were two months old. The mother and the other sister were adopted out together. Annie is the dominant of the two. She is a bit shy with my husband and me, but settles down and cuddles well, giving kisses, and singing. Rosie is more outgoing, being the first to learn to take treats from my hand. She’s also a biter, which has me a little concerned. It isn’t the typical nibbling that all of our piggies have done. Without warning, Rosie will whirl around when I’m holding her, and bite, as if in anger. She hasn’t broken my skin. But, it is clearly a bite. My daughter also has two rescue pigs. One of hers does not like having her side touched, and will give a warning nip. My Rosie’s nips are similar, but I have yet to figure out why. I don’t know if she does it when she’s tired of being held, if I’m touching her where she doesn’t want to be touched, or she’s just bad tempered. I read other posts where someone suggested that biting may be due to mites. But, neither Annie nor Rosie have missing hair. Rosie does shake her head more often than any of our other pigs have. They were checked out by my exotic vet a couple of months ago, including having their ears checked. They were both given a clean bill of health. Any advice would be appreciated.

As I said, I am not a new guinea mom. Over the years, between my daughter and me, we’ve had three boars, and seven sows. My previous piglet, Coqui, was nine years old when she died in June.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mites? There's no definitive test for mites, but they make a pig mighty cranky. And mites don't necessarily cause missing hair until there's a really big infestation.

How much do they weigh? If they're over 350 grams, they can be treated with ivermectin. That's where I'd start.

Penny L

Cavy Gazer
Mites? There's no definitive test for mites, but they make a pig mighty cranky. And mites don't necessarily cause missing hair until there's a really big infestation.

How much do they weigh? If they're over 350 grams, they can be treated with ivermectin. That's where I'd start.

Thanks for the reply. Mondays are their weigh days. Last Monday, Annie was 719 grams, Rosie, the biter, was 698. Both have been steadily gaining weight since I brought them home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.