Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Discovering your Piggy's breed/colors/pattern

angelfoxdesigns

Cavy Slave
My little guy Duke. Just brought him home today. He still needs a buddy. He is created but not sure the coat color.
26e11cbf083291fd815ed26438d5ab59.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
"My little guy Duke. Just brought him home today. He still needs a buddy. He is created but not sure the coat color." ~ [MENTION=45101]angelfoxdesigns[/MENTION]

He's a cutie! His breed is a Crested ( one of my favorite breeds, and what one of my piggies is, too! ) ; his colors are Buff, Chocolate Agouti, and White; And his pattern is Tricolor :)

ElleTrixieB13

Cavy Slave
I'd love to play with mine. Coat wise I think they are all Abysinnian (rosettes) except for Fleur. I do have one smooth coat (not pictured).78699759_10156345896920566_1016723268402413568_n.jpg

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I'd love to play with mine. Coat wise I think they are all Abysinnian (rosettes) except for Fleur. I do have one smooth coat (not pictured).View attachment 86505

Oh my! This will take time, but it'll be fun! :D

Ok, so starting with breed...I think they might be Abysinnians, too, but looking at J.K.'s pic, she's really looking Ridgeback to me! They actually all are a little ( except Fleur ), but I can't tell for sure from the pics. Ridgebacks have a line ( ridge ) of fur that runs along their spine. Their fur often runs back to front instead of front to back like normal up their back legs; and they can also still have a couple rosettes here and there as well. That definitely sounds like J.K. looks--- from the angles I can't tell if it's the same for the others as well? But if not, they're probably Abys, Aby mixes, or Ridgeback mixes. This link gives the best description of both breeds: https://www.somerzby.com.au/blog/ultimate-guinea-pig-breed-list/

For Fleur look at the same link...I think she's Peruvian, but if she has numerous rosettes, she could be a Sheba! Her colors are Buff/Saffron and White, and her pattern Bicolor.

I'll post again soon when I have time to figure out everyone else's colors/patterns. And I'd love to see a pics of your short hair and any others of yours :)

ChinandLacey

Cavy Slave
20191216_102929-COLLAGE (1).jpg Chin (gray and white) and Lacey (brown) are sisters from the same litter. Lacey has black hairs with ticking the same color as her stripe and a smooth coat. Chin has fur ranging from black to light gray with white ticking and a more wiry coat. She also has curly whiskers. The mom was a smooth coated agouti the same color as Lacey without any markings, but the dad is unknown.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
View attachment 86507 Chin (gray and white) and Lacey (brown) are sisters from the same litter. Lacey has black hairs with ticking the same color as her stripe and a smooth coat. Chin has fur ranging from black to light gray with white ticking and a more wiry coat. She also has curly whiskers. The mom was a smooth coated agouti the same color as Lacey without any markings, but the dad is unknown.

They're beautiful! I love agoutis and silver piggies.

Lacey's breed is American, and her colors are Buff and Chocolate agouti. Her pattern is very tortoiseshell like...but I think a piggy's colors have to be red and black to be technically considered one...so she's probably Bicolor. There's also a touch of Fox pattern with the lighter rings around her eyes and lighter chest markings---My cream agouti piggy Friar Tuck has them as well!

Chin's breed is Rex!! They have dense, woolly/wiry fur and curly whiskers! They're similar to Teddys; but Teddys have softer fur and straight whiskers. Rexs can also grow to be slightly bigger than normal piggies--- is she bigger than Lacey? Her colors are Silver Agouti and White, and her pattern a Bicolor. She also has the touch of Fox. It's almost exactly my Friar Tuck's pattern, except for the nose blaze :)

ChinandLacey

Cavy Slave
Cool, thanks! Lacey is only a couple ounces heavier, but they still have a lot of growing to do (they are only three months old) so who knows? Even though Chin is bigger, Lacey is the dominant one.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Cool, thanks! Lacey is only a couple ounces heavier, but they still have a lot of growing to do (they are only three months old) so who knows? Even though Chin is bigger, Lacey is the dominant one.

It was fun to figure them out! I don't know how accurate it is, but I read in this link https://www.somerzby.com.au/blog/ultimate-guinea-pig-breed-list/ that Rex guinea pigs can be between 8 and 17 inches! Most piggies are 8-12. Piggies grow until they're at least a year old...so it will be neat to see what she's like all grown up :)

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave

J.K.: Her colors are Chocolate and Buff...and her pattern I'm honestly not sure but it's super cool. Possibly some Argente mixed with Bicolor?

Nymphadora: She's gorgeous! Perfect name with all her colors going on: Red, Buff, White...and is her dark brown Agouti? I can't tell for sure from the pic. If it is I think it's Lemon Agouti. Her pattern is a unique kind of Tricolor...

Ginny: Her colors are White and Gold, and her pattern a unique variation of Bicolor! She definitely has the looks of a Weasley lol

Bellatrix: Her colors are Red, White, and Black, and her pattern is a mostly white Tortoiseshell and White.

Newt: His color is Cream Agouti with some light Fox pattern... almost exactly like my piggy Friar Tuck!

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
3469CA6A-B1F1-4565-8CA6-897D7142DF3C.jpg
I believe one is a ridgeback and other American

Last edited:

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
View attachment 86519
I believe one is a ridgeback and other American

You're right! :) Piggy on the left's breed is Ridgeback, or at least Ridgeback mix. Colors are White and Beige, and pattern Bicolor. Piggy on the right's breed is indeed American; colors White, Beige, and Black; and pattern Tricolor. Almost a Tortoiseshell and White pattern, but he/she would have to have red instead of beige to technically be considered one. Cute piggies!

ElleTrixieB13

Cavy Slave
J.K.: Her colors are Chocolate and Buff...and her pattern I'm honestly not sure but it's super cool. Possibly some Argente mixed with Bicolor?

Nymphadora: She's gorgeous! Perfect name with all her colors going on: Red, Buff, White...and is her dark brown Agouti? I can't tell for sure from the pic. If it is I think it's Lemon Agouti. Her pattern is a unique kind of Tricolor...

Thank you MerryFriarTuck!!! So cool! JK has rosettes on the rear, but just two, so you may be on to something. I'll attach another picture to see if you think he is a ridgeback, so interesting! He's a jolly little fellow!
79103943_104290814405636_3501079141506088960_n.jpg

Nymphadora I would say her dark brown is Agouti (new word for me!).

Here are my two others, Minerva is the smooth coat on the right, Myrtle on the left in the multi coloured coat. They were my two most skittish, now they are my most friendly (behind JK) so I think they just needed longer to settle in.

79444956_104290867738964_9191819961557843968_n.jpg

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thank you MerryFriarTuck!!! So cool! JK has rosettes on the rear, but just two, so you may be on to something. I'll attach another picture to see if you think he is a ridgeback, so interesting! He's a jolly little fellow!
View attachment 86520

Nymphadora I would say her dark brown is Agouti (new word for me!).

Here are my two others, Minerva is the smooth coat on the right, Myrtle on the left in the multi coloured coat. They were my two most skittish, now they are my most friendly (behind JK) so I think they just needed longer to settle in.

View attachment 86521

J.K. is the coolest looking piggy!! And it sounds like he has such a neat personality to go with his lovely looks :D Seeing him better now, I think he is an Abyssinian afterall. Ridgebacks have a very defined, unbroken ridge of fur down their back like a mini mohawk. And though they can have rosettes, they usually still have a smoother coat than J.K. Abys are known to have great, sweet personalities, and that sure sounds like him, as well! His pattern still stumps me, it's so unique...I think it's Argente mixed with either Harlequin or Bicolor.

Agouti used to be a new word for me, too--- I didn't even know guinea pigs could look like that ( let alone what it was called! ) before adopting my first piggy; Friar Tuck. He's what started me researching breeds/colors/patterns, and it was really fun to figure out. Agouti is just whenever you see those pretty sort of speckles ( much like a wild animal would have ) in their colors. I've really enjoyed seeing your piggies! :)

Myrtle is an Abyssinian, along with all your other fluffy piggies ( except Fleur ) ; her colors are Red, White, and Black; and her pattern a near if not perfect Tortoiseshell and White! Minerva's breed is American; her colors White and Chocolate Agouti ( I think with an extra Gold tone to it? ) ; and her pattern Bicolor.

angelfoxdesigns

Cavy Slave
Our new baby faust, what do you guys think?
4426e3e77eba687bf4b6f9a09c61c350.jpg

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Our new baby faust, what do you guys think?
4426e3e77eba687bf4b6f9a09c61c350.jpg

Aw, he reminds me of my Robin Hood when he was little! :) His breed is American; I think his colors are Black, White, and Cream; and his pattern a mix of Tricolor and Harlequin.

angelfoxdesigns

Cavy Slave
Aw, he reminds me of my Robin Hood when he was little! :) His breed is American; I think his colors are Black, White, and Cream; and his pattern a mix of Tricolor and Harlequin.
To my untrained eye the yellow in his coat looks a little too yellow to be cream but I'm not sure

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
To my untrained eye the yellow in his coat looks a little too yellow to be cream but I'm not sure

I was stumped at first on that, too. But he still seemed too blonde for it to be Buff or Saffron, and too warm a color to be Beige. So I settled on Cream, and then found in this link https://emmasguineapigs.blogspot.com/p/cavy-colours.html?m=1 his blonde/yellow looks like it matches the Cream exactly! It's the 5th picture down under Red Series. And in this link https://guineapigs.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Guinea_Pig_Coat_Colors_and_Patterns it says Cream and Black are the most commonly seen colors in Harlequin; which I think he definitely has some of.
But I can only see him in pictures and have to depend on that; since you can see him in real life you might be able to see what I can't. He's super cute no matter what! :)

petluv

Cavy Slave
View attachment 86328

I'm going to put my two piggies up here as well as further examples for everyone :)

This is my Friar Tuck! His breed is Crested; and his colors are Cream agouti, Beige, White, and Cream. His pattern is mostly the Cream Agouti, but with some Bicolor ( because he has white back legs and hindquarters, as well as a streak of white down his chin ) and some Fox ( that's the light cream/beige rings around his eyes and the nose/ chest markings ) He's very mixed but that made it very fun to figure out! :D
What a gorgeous piggy:love:

That is my favorite color type/pattern. Solid (any)
with speckled high lights mixed in and just a touch of white on the head and/or chest.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
What a gorgeous piggy:love:

That is my favorite color type/pattern. Solid (any)
with speckled high lights mixed in and just a touch of white on the head and/or chest.

Aw, thanks! I'm definitely partial to my own piggies' patterns; I think Agouti is my favorite, too...and so I also love Harlequins. :) Foxs, Tans, and Roans are gorgeous as well!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.