Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Spots' Medical Thread, was Piggy of 1 year old biting me

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
I have had spots for a year now and he has never bit me before but now he has started biting me just this past week. I feel bad every time i yell at him is there something i can do other then yell at him to try to get him to understand and stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Re: Piggy of 1 year old biting me

Do not yell at your guinea pig! He does not understand what you are trying to tell him and all you are likely doing is making him afraid of you. What it WON'T do is get him to stop biting. What you need to do is find out WHY he is biting. He could have mites and if that's the case, it is likely painful when you hold him. A case of mites requires medication to get rid of them. He could be tasting you to see if you are food - especially if you were eating before you held him. He could be telling you to put him back in his case because he has to use the bathroom. It could be any number of reasons, none of which are solved by yelling at him.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Is he biting hard, or just nibbling? If he's just nibbling, that's his way of exploring the world. He has no hands to pick things up, so he just has to see what they taste like. But if he's biting hard, then something is very wrong.

As [MENTION=12813]CavyMama[/MENTION] said, mites are a very common cause of guinea pigs biting, because the mites make it very painful for them to be handled. Is he scratching a lot?

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave

Is he biting hard, or just nibbling? If he's just nibbling, that's his way of exploring the world. He has no hands to pick things up, so he just has to see what they taste like. But if he's biting hard, then something is very wrong.

As [MENTION=12813]CavyMama[/MENTION] said, mites are a very common cause of guinea pigs biting, because the mites make it very painful for them to be handled. Is he scratching a lot?

I haven?t noticed any more scratching then he always does. He scratches occasionally but not excessively. I was petting him and as i pet him near his butt he turned around and bit and left a imprint of his teeth. He is my only piggy as my parents wont help me take care of him if i get another. Im currently looking for a job also. I haven?t been home too much in the last 3 weeks could that have anything to do with biting

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Most pigs don't like to have their butts petted, but that's also often the place where mites set up housekeeping.

How much scratching does he usually do?

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave

Most pigs don't like to have their butts petted, but that's also often the place where mites set up housekeeping.

How much scratching does he usually do?

He scratches anywhere from 3-5 times a day and im almost always around him

CavyMama

Cavy Slave

If you do take him to the vet and they offer to do a skin scraping (a common way to test for parasites), say no. They are painful for the pig and are often inconclusive even when mites are present. As [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] said, you can always treat at home, just in case it's mites. There's no harm in that.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
Best treatment for suspected mites

I can't find anything that can treat for mites but i heard of something that is used on caddle and i wanna try it but I don't know what its called or how to use it. Any help? He itches alot more then he used to so i think its time to try something

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Best treatment for suspected mites

You already have a thread on this itching pig. Please don't start new threads when you've already got an active topic. I'm merging the threads. That will be the medical thread for your pig, and you can pick a title for it.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
You already have a thread on this itching pig. Please don't start new threads when you've already got an active topic. I'm merging the threads. That will be the medical thread for your pig, and you can pick a title for it.

Thank you. I forgot I had that post. But he has stopped biting me occasionally he nibbles too hard but then i ignore him and he's started doing it softly and i stopped yelling at him and that helped incredibly

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In May, I gave you a link for how to treat for mites -- see post (broken link removed) above. The medication is pretty easy to find, and is available from Amazon if you can't find it locally.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
So i just checked spots front teeth during his daily cuddle time and saw that one of his bottom teeth was chipped about and inch down but only half of the tooth is missing on the side but he doesn't look like he's in pain and he is still eating hay food and drinking water. Should i be concerned about it or just keep an eye on him?

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
So ive been monitoring spots for a couple days and he is slowly eating less and less of his carrots and its the only vegetable he eats. Im really worried. Anything i should do or try? Is he dying or sick?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So ive been monitoring spots for a couple days and he is slowly eating less and less of his carrots and its the only vegetable he eats. Im really worried. Anything i should do or try? Is he dying or sick?

Have you been weighing Spots regularly? Perhaps he's getting tired of carrots, and too many carrots aren't good for him. They have plenty of natural sugar.

Is he drinking regularly? Is he eating his regular pellets and hay? Is he lethargic, or is he active?

I also see that he had teeth issues a few months ago. Have you check his incisors for irregularities?

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
Have you been weighing Spots regularly? Perhaps he's getting tired of carrots, and too many carrots aren't good for him. They have plenty of natural sugar.

Is he drinking regularly? Is he eating his regular pellets and hay? Is he lethargic, or is he active?

I also see that he had teeth issues a few months ago. Have you check his incisors for irregularities?

I don't weigh him regularly but he is drinking water and eating his food and hay normally. He is pretty lazy unless he is outta the cage which i try to do at least once a day. He has this wooden chew think that has different color pieces of wood and he has been chewing that alot more than usual.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave

I check his incisors everyday

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Excessive chewing can be a sign of pain. But first and foremost, you MUST weight Spots once a week. It's the very first, and often only, sign that something is wrong with your pig. They are prey animals and are extremely good at hiding injury or illness, oftentimes to the point that it's to late to do anything.

Get yourself a good digital kitchen scale that measures in grams, and start with that.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
Excessive chewing can be a sign of pain. But first and foremost, you MUST weight Spots once a week. It's the very first, and often only, sign that something is wrong with your pig. They are prey animals and are extremely good at hiding injury or illness, oftentimes to the point that it's to late to do anything.

Get yourself a good digital kitchen scale that measures in grams, and start with that.

He just weighed in at 1132g

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.