Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting a pound dog.....

iMariaRainbowz

Cavy Slave
So I may be adopting a pound dog within a few months, if we can find a good breed for a first time dog owner (me) and if we can find a puppy/younger dog. I really hope we find a suitable one! :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
If possible, research breeds now and then look 1-3 months after Christmas. That's the period in which pounds fill up with purebreds because of people who bought puppies for Christmas with no clue on how much work they are. What size dog are you looking for? Golden retrievers are great first-timer dogs, although a little large. Don't count mixed breeds out entirely though. They're often great dogs, too, and you'll be able to get background and personality info. on whatever dog you choose from the shelter to help you make the right choice.

iMariaRainbowz

Cavy Slave
After Christmas will probably be the time we will get a dog. And yes, that's true. I've been researching breeds for a while. :D

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Please don't just stick to puppies and "young" dogs. The older ones need a home too. Also the older ones are more likely to be better trained and more well mannered than the puppies/younger dogs. Those may require training. I doubt you'll find a dog that is just 1 breed in a shelter/pound. Especially this close to the holidays.

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
pound dogs are great dogs, we've had very good luck with mutts. Best dog we've ever had: from a pound, 1/2 great Pyrenees 1/4 chow chow and 1/4 German shepherd. Naughtiest dogs: our 2 "puppy" cross breeds, Mareema sheepdog and Shiloh shepherd, from a lady who bred them to herd sheep/alpaca. Worst dog: purebred husky from a rescue, but the reason he was so bad was he was very aggressive and with me and my sister being little kids at that time we couldn't keep him around. he almost bit my dad. We still have all 3 of the mutts, the pups are 3 and the other mutt is about 11.

Mutts are THE BEST dogs

Good luck!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Forgot to mention breed-specific rescues, too. Depending on where you live, there are likely rescue groups devoted to specific types of dogs, like retrievers, boxers, chihuahuas, etc. You can usually find them via Google or advertising dogs on Petfinder.

iMariaRainbowz

Cavy Slave
I know, but the reason why I want a younger dog is that it won't have developed too many bad habits I don't know about, and if it does have any bad habits, so it will be easier to correct them. I have never had a dog before, and I'm not looking for one that will be too hard to handle. I know that younger dogs may have bad habits also, but it's just what I feel will the right for me.

mufasa - Unfortunately, since I live in a small town, there's only one pound.

Rhinos_Mom - Thanks!

Last edited:

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I know, but the reason why I want a younger dog is that it won't have developed too many bad habits I don't know about, and if it does have any bad habits, so it will be easier to correct them. I have never had a dog before, and I'm not looking for one that will be too hard to handle. I know that younger dogs may have bad habits also, but it's just what I feel will the right for me.

A BIG myth.
Older dogs are just as easy to correct than younger dogs. I've trained several dogs in my lifetime and usually older dogs get the jest faster than younger dogs because the older dog has experienced the correction enough times to know "if I don't stop, I'm going to get a negative reaction". Versus the younger dogs have the reaction of "wtf was that noise" *continues to do behavior* etc etc.

If you can, spend time we each type of dog in the shelter. Observe their behaviors, play with them, maybe offer treats for tricks or basic commands.

iMariaRainbowz

Cavy Slave
A BIG myth.
Older dogs are just as easy to correct than younger dogs. I've trained several dogs in my lifetime and usually older dogs get the jest faster than younger dogs because the older dog has experienced the correction enough times to know "if I don't stop, I'm going to get a negative reaction". Versus the younger dogs have the reaction of "wtf was that noise" *continues to do behavior* etc etc.

If you can, spend time we each type of dog in the shelter. Observe their behaviors, play with them, maybe offer treats for tricks or basic commands.

Yes, I'll spend time with them before I decide.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave

We adopted a purebred Yorkie from a small rescue, he was 4 months old and seemed fine at the time, we did things right, took him for walks, exposed him to other dogs, exposed him to a variety of animals. After a while he had bad habits come about that we have still not been able to completely correct. He suddenly became extremely aggressive around the guinea pigs and other dogs (although the dog aggression has become more and more selective ie. he is fine at the vet and fine with certain breeds). So even though we got our dog young and did things right, he still developed bad habits and being a stubborn dog it is hard to correct them. If I were to get another dog, I'd definately get an older dog who has had more time to show their bad habits (if they have any) and not just have things spring up all of a sudden.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
First research research research! Will you have enough money to speuter the dog, pay for shots, and pay for good quality food? Do you have money for vet bills, training help, training tools, toys, ect? Do you have the time to devote to the dog? Getting a young dog means potty training which is extremely hard and takes a lot of time and cleaning. Personally I HIGHLY recommend fostering before you get any pet. That way you can get the feel for what it's like to care for and own a dog before actually getting one, because if you find you're not ready and you have already adopted, you have to keep for and care for the dog for it's remaining 10 plus years. Also please please please get an older dog! There are a lot of very well behaved older dogs, and it's complete myth that younger dogs are easier to train than older dogs. In fact they are harder to train because they are just all "FOOD FOOD FOOD" where as older dogs are more clam and willing to figure out what you want them to do. Plus older dogs are much calmer, often already potty trained, already trained in manners, and have great personalities. Not to mention that you'd be saving a life, as most older dogs are not adopted and end up being put down where as younger puppies get taken quickly.

Also, what do you plan to feed the dog, what training methods will you be using?

iMariaRainbowz

Cavy Slave
My Mum suggested feeding it a variety of brands of food so as to prevent fussiness in the case of an emergency, such as if we had to evacuate and only had a certain brand of food with us. I think it's a good idea, as long as the brands that are fed are good quality.
And, I'll use positive reinforcement which is the most effective. :)

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I want to add; I've never NEVER fed my dogs food from our plates but yet they still beg from us! We believe they observed the cat and the MIL's dog begging from people. Both the cat and the MIL's dog get table scraps. So they see this result and try it with us. They never get anything tho. Begging is one of the HARDEST habits to break.

My pug (who is actually about 3-4 years old) has picked up an odd behavior. I don't know where she's picked this up, but it is extremely difficult to work with. She will go up to a dog(on leash). Very calmly, neutral behavior and body language. And in a split second she's lunging and snapping at this dog. And none of these dogs show her any behavior to cause her to defend or lunge. HOWEVER, when she's off leash she is the friendliest dog in the world. Mind blowing right?

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I respectfully disagree about the old dog vs. young dog.
I also have trained many dogs and am majoring in dog behavior and most of the time the younger the better because you have more of their life to expose them to things. Older dogs make GREAT dogs too, though. I second the rescues!
Personally I foster rottweilers for my local rottie rescue and they do wonders for your community. Shelters are great places as well I just feel like a lottt of rescues are unappreciated and under funded and great things to support, and most any fosters involved can tell you anything you need to know about the breed you're looking into.
As far as breeds go every breed has their down sides and up sides, its all personal preference.
I wish you the best of luck, dogs are fantastic and are addictive just like pigs :)

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Also, what do you plan to feed the dog, what training methods will you be using?

I second doing research on dog food. Diet can really effect dogs behavior, I mean you wouldn't feel good if all you ate was Fruit Loops, right? Most of dogs behavior issues have been helped just by switching him from Purina to Prey Model Raw. I highly suggest Prey Model Raw for dogs and cats (it is Raw meat and Raw bones, human quality). (broken link removed). There are also BARF diets both homemade and premade that are very good in place of kibble. But there are also a lot of very good kibbles out there Dog Food Reviews, Ratings and Comparisons.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
My Mum suggested feeding it a variety of brands of food so as to prevent fussiness in the case of an emergency, such as if we had to evacuate and only had a certain brand of food with us. I think it's a good idea, as long as the brands that are fed are good quality.
And, I'll use positive reinforcement which is the most effective. :)

I'd make sure the brands are close to the same quality, sometimes switching brands can cause upset tummy's and loose stool. I'd stick with what the dog does best on.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
About your pug, this might be an indication to your body language when approaching another dog if everything's okay off leash. Not many people seem to think about it but a leash is a direct transfer of energy through the animal on the other end and can cause so many problems. I had that issue with my rally dog for over a year before I realized that I was causing the problem! I wish you the best with the pug and everything!
I want to add; I've never NEVER fed my dogs food from our plates but yet they still beg from us! We believe they observed the cat and the MIL's dog begging from people. Both the cat and the MIL's dog get table scraps. So they see this result and try it with us. They never get anything tho. Begging is one of the HARDEST habits to break.

My pug (who is actually about 3-4 years old) has picked up an odd behavior. I don't know where she's picked this up, but it is extremely difficult to work with. She will go up to a dog(on leash). Very calmly, neutral behavior and body language. And in a split second she's lunging and snapping at this dog. And none of these dogs show her any behavior to cause her to defend or lunge. HOWEVER, when she's off leash she is the friendliest dog in the world. Mind blowing right?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
About your pug, this might be an indication to your body language when approaching another dog if everything's okay off leash. Not many people seem to think about it but a leash is a direct transfer of energy through the animal on the other end and can cause so many problems. I had that issue with my rally dog for over a year before I realized that I was causing the problem! I wish you the best with the pug and everything!

Nope. My body language is no different on and off leash. I work closely with another professional trainer(I need another set of eyes to make sure I am not doing something wrong). Emma is heeling/walking nicely. We stop, I ask permission from the owner; when granted permission, Emma makes eye contact with me(her way of asking permission) and I say "go say hi". There is never any tension in the leash. No nervousness. If the opposite dog is not walking nicely and not well behaved, I will not let her greet the dog. I never her let her greet a dog I feel will possibly be aggressive or is not behaving.
She does the exact same thing off leash.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
My appoligies, I didn't know about any of your expirience or anything. That's odd, but hey some dogs just have querks we have to deal with. I often with my dog had none and was perfect LOL
Nope. My body language is no different on and off leash. I work closely with another professional trainer(I need another set of eyes to make sure I am not doing something wrong). Emma is heeling/walking nicely. We stop, I ask permission from the owner; when granted permission, Emma makes eye contact with me(her way of asking permission) and I say "go say hi". There is never any tension in the leash. No nervousness. If the opposite dog is not walking nicely and not well behaved, I will not let her greet the dog. I never her let her greet a dog I feel will possibly be aggressive or is not behaving.
She does the exact same thing off leash.

iMariaRainbowz

Cavy Slave
Oh okay, I'll look into that. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.