Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Making a kitchen, I need your expertise... please

equinox96

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I've been perusing this site for the past months trying to find out everything I need to know. I have found so much valuable information and would like to thank you all for your inputs throughout the forum.

Just a little bit about me: I have two boys, a 9 month old Peruvian named Mogwai and 3 month old Silky named OC (Oreo Cookie). They are in a 2x4 C&C which used to belong to our hedgehog, now passed away. They are on fleece with u-haul pads.So far I really like this arrangement even if I'm switching things up and trying different things all the time...

I want to make them a 2x5 while adding a kitchen area that would be 2x1.5 but this is where I get confused.Before I start cutting my coroplast, I have a few questions....

1 - How do you keep the fleece on top of the wood pellets in the kitchen area? It tends to go flying when they go running to hide or just play at chasing each other.

2 - How high do I make the walls forthe kitchen? Is it sturdy when you need to remove it for emptying,sifting, washing?

3 - I would like two doors for thekitchen, since Mogzy likes to hog the doorway and I've found thatsmaller openings contain the hay better than one big opening. Howhigh up do I start cutting the opening for the kitchen doors?

4 - I have tried I can't even remember how many, different ways to offer hay. I'm thinking now of giving them the bent grid hayrack that I've made and also give them a pile of hay on the ground. The pile seems to go down really fast. From your experiences, do they really eat that much more when it's on the ground or does it just seem to disappear faster because it's “trampled” and broken into much smaller pieces and dust?

5 - Lastly, do you know of any container that measures approx. 27 1/2 x 20 ish inches that is available in CANADA? I really like that medium mixing tub that they sell at the american Home Depot but they don't sell it here.

I would just like some help figuring out my kitchen area. My boys have a proxy kitchen right now made of two plastic shoeboxes that I have cut and taped together so that I could test and experiment with. I have learned quite a lot but still need advice.

Thank you for any experience you can share

Last edited:

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
The height of the kitchen walls need to be low enough for them to hop over. I do a standing bent grid hay rack that I hook to the cage with c hook keg chain type thing and put hay down in piles as they love to lay in it and eat it at their leisure. I would use binder clips to hold the fleece to the bin. If the kitchen is going to be that bin size, you can just use newspaper and change it daily or even a mini flake bedding that is light and easy to dump. You can also use fiddle stick to make bridges with.

Or you can make the kitchen a 20" x2 grids have the walls about 3 inches to 4 inches and just use fleece pads inside of it. 100_0465.jpgThe piggies here had the best of both worlds for the hay both I didn't make it deep enough, it was 2x1 when it should have been more like 20" by 2 grids.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

encase you want to order a bin.

equinox96

Cavy Slave
wow lunarminx, your cage is absolutely beautiful!!!

That's exactly what I want, hay on the ground and in the rack. Binder clips would work at holding the fleece over the wood pellets except on the doorway/wall side.... but while I'm writing this and seeing your cage an idea just popped in my head. Make the bin on the extension side and make a wall with the two door archways on the 2x4 side... hmmm

As for the bin, it's only available on .com and not .ca so I can't order it :mad: You guys can buy the coolest things!!!!

Thanks again lunarminx, I have some planning to do

equinox96

Cavy Slave
For those interested, I have found a similar bin on amazon.ca thanks to [MENTION=27327]lunarminx[/MENTION] help :)

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.