Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Adopted Pregnant Sow, suddenly dripping from her mouth?

AnimalLove

Cavy Slave
My sow Caramel is confirmed to be pregnant. I adopted her on Friday night. Saturday night, I noticed that she was dripping/drooling from her mouth. She is drinking and eating and pooping and peeing. She acts completely normal - wheeking, greeting me, begging for food, etc.

I am estimating that she is at least 6 weeks along because you can easily see her babies moving in her stomach. She is in temporary housing right now because I do not want to stress her out by moving environments again and introducing her to my other pigs. 357FF765-FF20-44B1-A1D0-D286D6345CFA.jpg

Anybody else experience dripping/drooling during the pregnancy? Could it be her teeth? She is eating everything I give her (pellets, hay, fresh fruits and veggies) without a problem.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could definitely be her teeth, and probably is. It's unlikely to be related to her pregnancy.

Can she eat her hay? and other foods?

I'd strongly recommend a exotc vet visit (one with rodent dentistry experience), because you could be facing a difficult situation here. She's GOT to eat, all the time. Guinea pigs die quickly when food is not moving through their guts. So if she's not eating, you'll have to handfeed her. And that can be a real issue while she's pregnant. If her teeth require planing, that also may be dicey because of her pregnancy.

The other thing I would do is get some Critical Care and see if you can tempt her to eat a clot of it off a spoon or a plate. Pigs that like Critical Care are MUCH easier to feed than those who don't, and I think it's easier to get them used to it before you need. I just had a sick pig that was the easiest pig on the planet to hand feed. But I regularly give mine a spoonful of Critical Care even if they don't need it, just so they won't forget the taste. If she does require handfeeding, you'll be miles ahead of the game if she'll eat it herself rather than your having to feed her with a syringe.

Let's hope it's not her teeth, and it may not be. She's not really old enough to have major dental issues unless she hasn't been fed enough hay or hay products. But the drooling is worrisome, and definitely worth seeing a good vet over. Don't waste your money on a small animal vet -- they're trained to care for dogs and cats, and know little to nothing about exotic pets.

AnimalLove

Cavy Slave
She is eating just fine like no painful noises or hesitance or anything. That’s why I am unsure of the cause of the drooling. Was wondering if it could at all be related to pregnancy.

AnimalLove

Cavy Slave
What should I be feeding her?

AnimalLove

Cavy Slave
It could definitely be her teeth, and probably is. It's unlikely to be related to her pregnancy.

Can she eat her hay? and other foods?

I'd strongly recommend a exotc vet visit (one with rodent dentistry experience), because you could be facing a difficult situation here. She's GOT to eat, all the time. Guinea pigs die quickly when food is not moving through their guts. So if she's not eating, you'll have to handfeed her. And that can be a real issue while she's pregnant. If her teeth require planing, that also may be dicey because of her pregnancy.

The other thing I would do is get some Critical Care and see if you can tempt her to eat a clot of it off a spoon or a plate. Pigs that like Critical Care are MUCH easier to feed than those who don't, and I think it's easier to get them used to it before you need. I just had a sick pig that was the easiest pig on the planet to hand feed. But I regularly give mine a spoonful of Critical Care even if they don't need it, just so they won't forget the taste. If she does require handfeeding, you'll be miles ahead of the game if she'll eat it herself rather than your having to feed her with a syringe.

Let's hope it's not her teeth, and it may not be. She's not really old enough to have major dental issues unless she hasn't been fed enough hay or hay products. But the drooling is worrisome, and definitely worth seeing a good vet over. Don't waste your money on a small animal vet -- they're trained to care for dogs and cats, and know little to nothing about exotic pets.

She is eating just fine like no painful noises or hesitance or anything. That?s why I am unsure of the cause of the drooling. Was wondering if it could at all be related to pregnancy

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt seriously that it's related to the pregnancy. But that's very good news that she's eating.

AnimalLove

Cavy Slave
I doubt seriously that it's related to the pregnancy. But that's very good news that she's eating.

This is the best picture I could get of her mouth atm. Would you say it?s a problem that it?s cracked open a little bit like that? The green is all the drool btw. 5868E848-FA4E-4298-9076-4CE7D210FD3D.jpg

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
The mouth cracked open a bit isn't unusual. Most guinea pigs rest with their mouths open a little. That amount of drool is definitely concerning though and if she were mine I would want a full dental examination.

Even if she's eating, pigs with dental problems still eat until it is either physically impossible to chew food or it is too painful.

AnimalLove

Cavy Slave
The mouth cracked open a bit isn't unusual. Most guinea pigs rest with their mouths open a little. That amount of drool is definitely concerning though and if she were mine I would want a full dental examination.

Even if she's eating, pigs with dental problems still eat until it is either physically impossible to chew food or it is too painful.

I will take her to the vet tomorrow if they have an opening.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What is she eating when she's drooling? I had one pig with a chin that started out white but was always green when she was fed anything dark green.

AnimalLove

Cavy Slave
What is she eating when she's drooling? I had one pig with a chin that started out white but was always green when she was fed anything dark green.

Romaine lettuce. I am not noticing drool when she eats anything else.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think all pigs get green chins when eating green things. If you're not seeing drooling at any other time, I wouldn't worry about it.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The only things I know of that can cause a guinea pig to get a wet chin are teeth issues, heat stress/full heat stroke, poisoning (accompanied by many other symptoms), eating wet food, or poor form while drinking (or having a water dish to drink from).

In this case we can rule out poisoning and teeth issues are not likely, depending on how hot it is where she is you may also be able to rule out heat.

AnimalLove

Cavy Slave
The only things I know of that can cause a guinea pig to get a wet chin are teeth issues, heat stress/full heat stroke, poisoning (accompanied by many other symptoms), eating wet food, or poor form while drinking (or having a water dish to drink from).

In this case we can rule out poisoning and teeth issues are not likely, depending on how hot it is where she is you may also be able to rule out heat.

Definitely no possibilty of heat stroke.

Could a temperature change effect her eating habits? It just dropped from the 70s to the 40s so the house is cooler. She is eating pellets (less than before though..), orange drop, fruits and veggies (devours them!!) but refusing the hay? I suppose that could also be due to the environment change? Still drinking the water though!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know, the fact that she's not eating hay certainly points to possible tooth issues.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If she isn't eating the hay that does increase the likeliness that it could be teeth issues.

Has she eaten the hay at all while in your care? Do you know if she had hay before she came to you, and if so are you feeding her the same kind of hay?

Sometimes guinea pigs can be very fussy about the kind of hay they will eat.

AnimalLove

Cavy Slave
If she isn't eating the hay that does increase the likeliness that it could be teeth issues.

Has she eaten the hay at all while in your care? Do you know if she had hay before she came to you, and if so are you feeding her the same kind of hay?

Sometimes guinea pigs can be very fussy about the kind of hay they will eat.

I will call later to ask if they know what type of hay she was being fed. She has nibbled on some here and there, but otherwise she doesn?t touch it. I have been changing it out daily since Friday night.

She eats carrots, peppers, strawberries, lettuce, and the pellets all without a problem it seems (except for the excessive drooling while eating the lettuce).

AnimalLove

Cavy Slave
Took her to the vet on Monday 5/21 and vet says she is 100% okay. Molars on upper left side are slightly longer than right side, but not enough to cause concern. She may be picking through the hay because of pregnancy, seeing as she is eating everything else, there is not a need to worry. Will be observing her eating habits after birth and if she is still not really eating they, I will take her back for the dental work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.