Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

WERE MOVING TO A FARM!!!!! *pics*

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Sooooo……were moving to a farm!!! YAY!! This means more horses! The gelding I currently have does dressage and minimal jumping but he just would not excel in XC. I know him and he just couldn't do it. He is a Mustang/Canadian Cutting Horse/ QH cross and he is 12 years old. I love him to death but I know he just wouldn't enjoy it. He likes to mosey about and trail ride when outside(when not in an arena or paddock) and he would be miserable doing it. But anyways--

I'm looking for an eventing horse prospect, and I was looking at OTTB (Off Track Thoroughbreds), and I'm still researching other breeds though. The thing is, I'm in search of horses ages 2-8 (9 maybe…if they already have training). I know it will be a couple of years before we can seriously start competing if they're young, but I am okay with that. It can't be a big expensive horse either. Our maxed out MAXIMUM price to pay would be $3,000. ***I really honestly am set in stone on a horse to train myself and I would hope none of you attempt to discourage me from it. Your opinions and experiences are welcomed but PLEASE don't try to talk me out of it or be mean about it.***

I have many people who are in my close family friend circle who have extensive breaking and basic training of foals and young horse experience. I also have 1-2 of those friends who have worked with eventers and who have said that they will be more then willing to help me. I'm not doing this alone, that would be stupid of me. I am asking all of y'all for help to get more perspectives on the situations and figure out the best method for attacking the situation.

Oh, if any of you in or near Indiana are selling, or know someone who is selling eventing prospects (or OTTB fresh off) from the ages of 3 years old-8/9 yard old, for at most $3,000, please PM me or let me know in your replies!!!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it! If you read this much I really do thank you and I hope you can help. Even just the tiniest rid-bit of information would be magnificent!

Chevy!
IMG_4615.jpg
IMG_4376.jpg

Last edited:

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Some of the pictures were being stubborn to load up...

This is one mare that I am extremely interested in as of now (Fancy):

This is another, a gelding, who I really like (Marius):

I was also just approached about a yearling filly who has AMAZINNGGG breeding lines. Hopefully I can see her and see how I like her! No pictures of her yet.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Oh, you lucky lucky thing! I was brought up on a big farm &.still miss the farm life & all the animals.
Your current horse is coming with you, yes?
I'm no expert with show horses, as ours were Clydesdales & we had 2 for riding. (I loved riding the Clydes most, though.)
After harassing him for ages about a neglected black mare I had seen on another farm, my Dad got her for free & said if I couldn't care for & tame her myself she was off to the saleyards. It took a loooong time & LOTS of patience to get her to health & used to being handled, but I kept at it a couple of hours a day getting used to a bridle & reins, blanket on her back, saddle, then me, but after time I was able to ride her without her spooking & kicking.
It's great you will have people to help gentle whatever horse you get & get him/her into showing. Sorry, but I do hate the term 'breaking' or 'breaking in' as it reminds me of the old cowboy & rodeo way which to be is cruel. Horses are actually prey animals & so are generally highly sensitive & high-strung.
Good luck with your search; no way would I try to discourage you or anyone, as long as it's all done the right way. Let us know how you get on.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
@oldnewie lol thanks! And yes, Chevy would TOTALLY be coming with us! He's actually the reason we decided to move…we'd save $200+ a month by having him in our backyard then at our boarding facility. Were trying to find him a companion and me another show horse. Chevy is a well seasoned shower, at on 12, and he would be a great calm companion for a newbie horse while the new horse could compete in different show rings from Chevy. Or maybe even the same show ring, just no XC for chevy! hahaha!

That's a great story! I'd love to ride a Cyde one day. What was the name of that mare? Id never 'break' a horse they used to. The way that breaking was defined to me growing up was "[breaking] is just another term for breaking in the saddle to a horses back or the pride to their head. Its also the horse breaking your bones if you try to break their spirit. Break the tack- not the horse." Ive heard that since I was about 8 and it has stuck with me ever since. I just use that word (breaking) because everyone knows what it means, and the jist of it…some people just do it differently.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
I guess you were posting when I was, so I missed it until now. The images wouldn't come up, but the 2 shown are gorgeous horses. The filly could be a great alternative; being younger she may well be easier to train. I mean like have no pretaught issues that yo may not want.
I like that you would train the horse yourself, & have the other/s as guides & helpers rather than doers, so the horse will respond to you, your voice, your silent body instructions etc. In other words, learn to anticipate & get to intuitively know what you want from her.
Hoping some experienced trainers/event horseriders will post their thoughts here.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
I guess you were posting when I was, so I missed it until now. The images wouldn't come up, but the 2 shown are gorgeous horses.
The filly could be a great alternative; being younger she may well be easier to train. I mean like have no pretaught issues that you may not want.
I like that you would train the horse yourself, & have the other/s as guides & helpers, so the horse will respond to you, your voice, your silent body instructions etc. In other words, learn to anticipate & get to intuitively know what you want from her, & for you to do the same with her - a team.
Hoping some experienced trainers/event horseriders will post their thoughts here.

p.s. I was a horse-mad (&animal-mad! still am) teenager when I got the black mare;I taught her from books. Hard work for both of us but great result.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
@oldnewie Thank you! I couldn't get an age on the gelding, so I'm waiting until tomorrow to call and get a bit more info about him. I was originally only looking for fillies and colts, under the age of 2 but then again, you can never ben 100% sure of how they'll turn out and what discipline they will be best suited for. Its like Russian Roulette sometimes. *sigh* I can only hope for the best.

I honestly hate it when people say "Oh, I trained her myself!" No you didn't…you paid a trainer to train her and you just claimed you did because you paid for the training. Its honestly a shame in the world today.

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Yay I finally got to see Chevy!!! He's so handsome! The gelding and mare are gorgeous too! I would never discourage you and hope no one does! I am probably zero help since I haven't owned a horse yet but good luck with your search and tell me how everything goes! :D

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=26111]oldnewie[/MENTION] lol thanks! And yes, Chevy would TOTALLY be coming with us! He's actually the reason we decided to move…we'd save $200+ a month by having him in our backyard then at our boarding facility. Were trying to find him a companion and me another show horse. Chevy is a well seasoned shower, at on 12, and he would be a great calm companion for a newbie horse while the new horse could compete in different show rings from Chevy. Or maybe even the same show ring, just no XC for chevy! hahaha!

That's a great story! I'd love to ride a Cyde one day. What was the name of that mare? Id never 'break' a horse they used to. The way that breaking was defined to me growing up was "[breaking] is just another term for breaking in the saddle to a horses back or the pride to their head. Its also the horse breaking your bones if you try to break their spirit. Break the tack- not the horse." Ive heard that since I was about 8 and it has stuck with me ever since. I just use that word (breaking) because everyone knows what it means, and the jist of it…some people just do it differently.

Ach! I missed this post too! Sorry about the double posting, stupid phone does it sometimes.
I gave the mare a really original, inspiring name: Blackie (sigh). Our mischievous little brown gelding was called Brownie, we had another black gelding called (my mind blocks here; I rode him a few times until he dragged me when I was about 11 or 12. I wasn't allowed to ride him after that, just rode the other 3 then mainly Blackie after she was trained), & our Clydesdales were called Dan & Dolly.
It's such a good thing to have a calm horse with the new one. I remember a lot of farmers doing that to help the new horses settle in. Oh gosh, memories, memories.
Go right for it. [MENTION=24680]YourSoJelly[/MENTION]. Im sure noone here will discourage you. Now let's hear from you,, horse people!

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=26111]oldnewie[/MENTION] lol thanks! And yes, Chevy would TOTALLY be coming with us! He's actually the reason we decided to move…we'd save $200+ a month by having him in our backyard then at our boarding facility. Were trying to find him a companion and me another show horse. Chevy is a well seasoned shower, at on 12, and he would be a great calm companion for a newbie horse while the new horse could compete in different show rings from Chevy. Or maybe even the same show ring, just no XC for chevy! hahaha!

Ach! I missed this post too! Sorry about the double posting, stupid phone does it sometimes.
I gave the mare a really original, inspiring name: Blackie (sigh). Our mischievous little brown gelding was called Brownie, we had another black gelding called (my mind blocks here; I rode him a few times until he dragged me when I was about 11 or 12. I wasn't allowed to ride him after that, just rode the other 3 then mainly Blackie after she was trained), & our Clydesdales were called Dan & Dolly.
It's such a good thing to have a calm horse with the new one. I remember a lot of farmers doing that to help the new horses settle in. Oh gosh, memories, memories.
Go right for it. [MENTION=24680]YourSoJelly[/MENTION]. Im sure noone here will discourage you. Now let's hear from you,, horse people!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I might have to wait until the end of fall when the tracks dump the slow horses. I'd much rather snatch up one of those guys then have then sent to slaughter. *shivers*

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Here is that filly!! Talk about wowza!! This filly is amazing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406489167.886622.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406489204.702289.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406489244.469541.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406489274.185452.jpg

guineapigman

Cavy Slave
That is a really classy filly. She looks like she might be a bit of a handful though. The bay gelding looks like a cracker too. I wish I could get a horse like you, I have been riding since I was 3 (now 14) but we just can't afford a horse.

I don't know if irish draughts are common in the states, but some of the best horses I have ridden are tbs crossed to irish draughts. You get the same speed and athleticism as a tb but they are quieter and more strongly built. You could use another warm blood type for the cross too. Saying that ex-racers and horses that never made it to the track are brilliant horses if you want something fun. I have ridden a couple of my friends national hunt racehorses and they are really exciting to ride.

My favourite horse at my local riding school now is actually a permanent livery horse and the owner has been sick a lot recently. I ride her out on the weekends on a cross country course and through the woods. She is mostly tb with some draught and Connemara in her. She is a bit of a hand full but she is brilliant if you know how to control her.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I favour the Belgian Warmblood for XC and jumping personally. I do have a soft spot for Welsh Section C's, and I long for my own Gypsy Vanner one day!

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
@Princess_Piggie I love Gypsy Vanners and I wish too own one some day too! They are so beautiful and look like they were taking out of a story book.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Their manes are just so beautiful and luxurious looking! They look like the rapunzel of the horse world :eek: And the manage to look so delicate even with their generally toned build too!

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Im so jealous of people who have a horse lol. I have always wanted one since I did horse back riding lessons when I was younger. Hope your move to your farm is smooth!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
The filly seems like she might be the one!! Her seller is not in a rush to sell and she said she likes what I seem to be offering as a home! Fingers crossed everyone!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Just an update for those of you who were curious- still no farm moved into yet. I maintain continuous contact with the seller of the filly but no deal on horse or house has been made yet. This Wednesday we go look at 2 farms. It might be three, but most likely two. Thanks for all your support guys! :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I'm super excited to meet (or see photo's of...) whichever horse you end up with! Though I have to say, the gelding's got my vote. I'm a sucker for bays. Always wanted my own bay gelding (I'm thinking dutch warmblood or irish draught) called Leyland. I'll probably be dead before I can afford it though!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.