Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! New with new pigs!

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
Hello! A week or so ago I got two young teddy pigs and today I adopted a skinny pig whose mom was moving and couldn't keep him.

The little boys are in a petstore cage that's about 3.5feet by 18 inches that I already had but will be getting upgraded to a coroplast cage very soon.
They also have a you&me playpen that they spend most of their day in while we're home.
Feeding oxbow young guineapig food and Orchard grass hey. The only veggie they've really taken to is chickory.
Bell pepper was given a few mild nibbles. Carrots are only sometimes taken. Cucumbers and tomatoes are up next to try.

The poor skinny had a well meaning mom but the cage he came with is pretty small, the kind that's shaped like a house?
So I'll be fixing him up some bigger temporary digs asap.

The teddies are
Argo(gold)
&
Chauncey (white/brown)

I think I'm going to call the Skinny, Grayson.

I had pigs once upoon a time as a child but i've been learning a lot that i didnt know just browsing in the last two weeks.

Attachments

gfdg.jpg pigpen.jpg gray.jpg graycage.jpg

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
Are you sure they're all three male?
Quite certain. I double checked the little boys and the skinny pig since he's older is quite obviously male when seen from behind : )

Thanks for the links, I wanna make sure I take good care of these pigs.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
They're very lovely, Argo especially looks like a teddy bear, no pun intended! They're lucky to have an owner who's doing some good research. :) I'm sure Grayson will appreciate the larger cage!

If you intend to keep them all in the same cage, I wish you the best with introductions, it can be very hard sometimes to add a third boar to an established pair. As long as their coroplast cage is quite big and you introduce them properly, though, you can probably make it work.

As far as veggies go, it's also possible that they're just settling in and are a little nervous about trying new things still. I'd try green leaf lettuce next, and after they're more settled in give the bell peppers another go. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I figured after some quarantine time I would try some gentle introductions but if they don't seem like they'll get along I'll find a new friend for Grayson.

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
Very interesting, I wonder if their ages will inhibit introductions because of puberty . Argo and Chauncey are only a few months old and Grayson should be about a year.

rotto77

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It is generally easier to introduce an older boar to a baby, so while I doubt your guys are young enough for it to matter that much, it could theoretically work in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
I guess we'll see when that time comes. My only worry really is that Chauncey definitely considers himself the dominant piggy, he might not have as easy a time dominating a much bigger pig.
Is there a general quarantine time? Skinny came from a one pig home that he's been in since december. I see guides saying anywhere from 2-4 weeks?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If he came from a private home, you may not want to quarantine. Quarantine is really to protect your existing pigs from any diseases/parasites that the new one may have. But if the previous owners haven't noticed anything since December, and if they're the type to have noticed and done something about it if they had, then you could just skip quarantine.

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
Hmm, hard to say.
She seemed to care about him but wasn't super knowledgeable or didn't have the best info (small cage/supermarket food and hay with treats. washing and lotioning with baby products)
So I dont know if she would know a symptom. I think I'll watch him sepperatly for at least a week just to see if I notice anything while he settles into his new home.

Also make shift expanded him home today, just need to get a better bridge for in and out and make more hides for the yard.
Previous owner said he wasn't a fan of veggies but he devoured samples of cucumber, dandelion, & cherry tomato tonight.

Attachments

skinnyard.jpg

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Oh my!! I just LOVE teddies, they are soooo cute!!! Good luck with them :eek:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.