Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick My girl is going bald HELP HELP!!!!!

mckeymse

Cavy Slave
My girl is 2 yrs old, and smooth haired. I took her out to play and noticed she has a bald spot on her back. As I was petting her, I noticed
her fur from neck back is thinning really badly. The fur at the neck is nice and fluffy. She eats good, gets vitamin c everyday,vegies, lots of hay.
No behavior changes or poop/pee changes. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong with my Sophie?
I am worried... Keep in mind we live in Phoenix and it is HOT, but she is in a cool room.

Any and all info/help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hugs,

mckeymse

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
2 words, Vet ASAP

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Possibly mites.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It sounds to me like she has mites. Is the pattern of hair loss a V, with the widest part down at her butt? If so, that's classic mites.

You can treat yourself with ivermectin, or go to the vet. The vet is more expensive, but it's not that hard for you to do. What you want is this: (broken link removed). It's the easiest kind for a newbie to use.

Read more at https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html and follow the ivermectin links.

@PiggieGuinea, not every problem requires an ASAP vet visit, and not everybody has the money to be running off to the vet for problems that can be diagnosed and treated at home. Please refrain from giving advice in the medical forum unless you're absolutely sure of what you're talking about and that you're not sending someone off in the wrong direction.

mckeymse

Cavy Slave
WOW thank you all for the info. I will take her to vet tomorrow. Are there any instructions as to her cage?
I have a cavy cage, with moving blanket on the "floor" made her a "stable type box" for her hay which she loves to play in.
SO I am guessing wash everything when we get back from vet before I put her back in her cage?????
Again, thanks all so very mch.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I take mine to the vet in a big shopping bag with a towel in the bottom. I also take both of them at the same time -- I figure the sick one needs moral support.

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
I take mine to the vet in a big shopping bag with a towel in the bottom. I also take both of them at the same time -- I figure the sick one needs moral support.

bpatters...if it is mites, and it is treated...how long does it take for the hair to grow back? Would that be the same as in a fungal infection? I understand it is hard to tell the difference even with a skin test from a vet. Anyway to know for sure which one it is or do you just treat for both? thanks!

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Just curious....How do you think she may have gotten mites?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It takes about the same amount of time for the hair to grow back whether the problem is lice or mites -- hair growth is independent of what caused the hair loss unless it's a follicle problem.

Do NOT let a vet do a skin scraping to look for mites. It's very painful for the pig, and is wrong 50% of the time -- the pig will have mites even though the scraping misses them. The general course of action is just to treat for mites anyway, so skip the scraping.

Generally, though not always, a fungus doesn't itch as much as mites. They usually do some pretty insistent scratching if they have mites. It won't hurt to treat for both, or you can treat one for a while and if it doesn't help, then do the other.

@NursePiggy, mites are everywhere, even on you. They don't generally cause problems unless something happens to allow them to get a foothold in the skin -- weakened immune system of the pig, a scratch in the skin, etc.

mckeymse

Cavy Slave
How do you all think she got them? I want to make sure they don't come back after I treat her. Do I want to treat her with the oral medicine and the topical cream?
Geez I feel so bad for her. Also do they spread to the dog? the kids?
Ok plse let me know what I am doing wrong: Sophie is alone in her cage, her cage is lined with a moving blanket, I have pee pads in there for her(yep she is pretty good about using them, fresh water every day, fresh food, vegies 2x a day, vitamin c , fresh hay, She comes out to play everyday,runs around in my sons room, she is very social. Any and all suggestions are so very appreciated. Yes I am freaking out and feeling guilty.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
From my earlier post:

mites are everywhere, even on you. They don't generally cause problems unless something happens to allow them to get a foothold in the skin -- weakened immune system of the pig, a scratch in the skin, etc.

Mites may bite you, but they won't set up housekeeping.

Why are you freaking out and feeling guilty? How is that going to help anything? What you need to do is realize that you didn't do anything to give them to her, if indeed that's what she has. And you need to figure out a treatment plan that you want to do and/or can afford, and get going on it.

mckeymse

Cavy Slave
Also, should I be able to see them? Should there be bumps.reddness what should her skin look like? All I see is minute white flakes
I am trying to home diagnose, the vet wants $80.00 plus blood work plus medicine and honestly I just can't afford it right now and don't want to make her

wait if I can treat her now. ALso regarding my post about her cage: I poop scoop it out several times a day, so she has a very clean cage, or so I thought.
Again thank you all so very much, she is my son's piggy, I didn't realize how attached to her I have become she is a great piggie

mckeymse

Cavy Slave
bpatters,
thank-you so much for all the info, can I get her medication at petco/petsmart or do I get it from a vet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, read the information at https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html and https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html and see which you think it is. The fact that it's one one side and you're seeing white flakes makes me think fungus. so I'd start there. Those links have all the information you need to know about treating her and where to buy the medication.

If you decide it's mites, let me know and I'll give you some more instructions.

mckeymse

Cavy Slave
Again, thank-you so very much bpatters, I just gave in, taking her to the vet. I will let you know what it is. I am leaning towards
a fungus, since I am not seeing any bumps, redness and she doesn't seem to hurt when I hold/pet her. She is very lethargic though.
So I take her tom morning, earliest appt. and will let you know.
Thanks again so very much.

mckeymse

Cavy Slave
FYI: I read the articles you recommended, there is no redness, sores, nothing on her skin. It is baffling. Will let ya'll know and thanks

mckeymse

Cavy Slave
bpatters: and All:
Took Sofie to the vet today. She has a respiratory infection and is on antibiotics. He said she should be fine, recheck in 2 weeks

FYI::: vet said" the glad plug in scent things(air fresheners), are toxic for GPs and should not be in the same room as ur pig and shouldn't have
them even with a dog" Some of you may have known this, I did not, so came home and pulled all my plug-ins out.

Again thanks to all so very much for all the info and help. I greatly appreciate it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Heck, Glade air fresheners shouldn't be in the same room with people, either! All those air fresheners that vaporize into the air are unhealthy.

What did the vet say about Sophie's hair loss?

mckeymse

Cavy Slave
The vet said, the hair loss is probably due to her infection. He didn't see any signs of mites.lice or skin irritation. He thinks as she gets better
so will her hair. So we will see what happens. Se had her 3rd dose of medication and already her breathing is improved.
Thank-you again, I will keep ya posted.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, if the hair loss gets worse while she's on an antibiotic, it'll be a pretty good sign that the problem is a fungus infection, and you can treat it with an antifungal medicine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.