Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage C&C Stand or Table

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
So I'm in the middle of pricing C&C cages, figuring out whether buying a cage or making my own is cheaper (for reference I'm going for a 2 x 5 based on what the nearest guinea pig rescue recommended). While I'm pricing, there's one thing that I need help figuring out: a stand for my C&C cage. Because I live in a basement apartment, have an elderly cat, and have some intermittent back problems, I want the cage to be up off the floor. But because the cage will be 30 inches by 74/or 76 inches, I'm not sure whether to go for a table (which I can't find any that size; the closest ones are 30 by 72 inches big) or make a C&C grid stand. My biggest thing is stability (and I'd prefer it to be less than $50 if possible). Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should use?

Thanks!

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I think it's much cheaper to create your own cage instead of buying one, my 3x6 cost me around $100 (4 packages of grids and 1 sheet of coroplast). I have my cage elevated off the ground with grids and it's very sturdy. Does your cat jump? If so, you might want to consider some kind of cover for your cage, such as closet shelving or more grids.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's definitely cheaper to make your own. And if you use connectors, zip ties, and glue, the cube stand will be very stable.

Another cheap option is to put the cage on Ikea Lack tables, which are less than $10 each. I've used them for years.

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
I think it's much cheaper to create your own cage instead of buying one, my 3x6 cost me around $100 (4 packages of grids and 1 sheet of coroplast). I have my cage elevated off the ground with grids and it's very sturdy. Does your cat jump? If so, you might want to consider some kind of cover for your cage, such as closet shelving or more grids.

My cat can't jump very well, as he's likely got arthritis. But I don't want to tempt fate, so I already know I want a lid on my cage.

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
It's definitely cheaper to make your own. And if you use connectors, zip ties, and glue, the cube stand will be very stable.

Another cheap option is to put the cage on Ikea Lack tables, which are less than $10 each. I've used them for years.

Do you have a link for the Lack tables? I took a look on the Ikea website, but the ones I saw were way too small for a 2 x 5.

Also, how did you make the stand? I've seen a couple different styles, but I don't know which one would be the best.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I used to have a cage that was about six feet by two and a half feet. It sat on three Lack tables. The one I have now is about a foot shorter, and sits on two Lack tables.

There are hundreds of pictures of stands in the Photo Galleries.

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
I used to have a cage that was about six feet by two and a half feet. It sat on three Lack tables. The one I have now is about a foot shorter, and sits on two Lack tables.

There are hundreds of pictures of stands in the Photo Galleries.

I saw the pictures in the photo galleries. I'm just not sure which ones ended up working out the best.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have always built the base from cubes and they were connected to the cage as I built it. Even as large as a 3x6. I even left and opening large enough to have a 50-60 lb hay box under it. Just buy the thicker 8" zip ties and now be afraid to use them. I normally used about 200 plus if not more on my cages. I buy the bags from home depot of 1000 for $20.00. I haven't rebuilt for a long time and it's still/always sturdy, even when the cats jump in, which they do a lot. Many have used tables too, I just like the cubes bins for storage. 100_0658.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.