Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions My guinea pig has a smell

Piggy lovin

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

My guinea pig espresso has a smell. He has never smelt before I got him and I clean his cage
every two to three days. I have just bathed him today for the first time since I got him but still has abit of smell. He seems to be fine but I noticed a little bit of dry skin flakes on the side his been scratching himself but it's not that bad an checked everywhere else and he seems fine should I be worried?

CavyLoverr93

Cavy Slave
I am no expert what so ever but did you use proper guinea shampoo? Also Guineas do not smell very good they are animals! And they have proper lotions for Guineas with dry skin! I find GorgeousGuineas.com a good site with all diff products of Guinea lotion also if you have a smaller cage they are always going to be in their pee or poo no matter how much you clean the cage and it can cause them to smell a lot more but like I said I am in no way shape or form an expert! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@CavyLoverr93, your information is incorrect. Guinea pigs are very clean animals with almost no smell, with just a few exceptions.

One, small cages smell much more quickly than large ones. Peed on hay smells bad. And the kind of litter you use in the cage can contribute to the smell. In all those cases, it's not the pig, it's the cage, and it's totally under your control. And cages usually need to be cleaned out (poop, hay, etc.) daily, with a full cleaning less often.

Two, boars who are marking their territory use "boar stank" which is particularly bad-smelling, but doesn't last too long. So if it's a constant odor, that's not it.

Three, if your pig has long enough hair to have a skirt around the rear end, that may be dragging through the pee and poop and picking up odors. You can clip the hair and give butt baths as necessary.

And four, if the urine has a particularly pungent odor, it may indicate a urinary tract infection.

@Piggy lovin, if you're seeing flakes of dry skin on your pig, it may be mites, a fungus, or dry skin. Can you post a picture?

CavyLoverr93

Cavy Slave
Well I'm sorry I didn't mean they stink they just smell like animals is what I was saying! And I was also saying piggies in smaller cages lay on there pee and poo and the ammonia is going into there hair! And I said I'm not expert and by no means was I trying to sound like one :)

CavyLoverr93

Cavy Slave
@CavyLoverr93, your information is incorrect. Guinea pigs are very clean animals with almost no smell, with just a few exceptions.

One, small cages smell much more quickly than large ones. Peed on hay smells bad. And the kind of litter you use in the cage can contribute to the smell. In all those cases, it's not the pig, it's the cage, and it's totally under your control. And cages usually need to be cleaned out (poop, hay, etc.) daily, with a full cleaning less often.

Two, boars who are marking their territory use "boar stank" which is particularly bad-smelling, but doesn't last too long. So if it's a constant odor, that's not it.

Three, if your pig has long enough hair to have a skirt around the rear end, that may be dragging through the pee and poop and picking up odors. You can clip the hair and give butt baths as necessary.

And four, if the urine has a particularly pungent odor, it may indicate a urinary tract infection.

@Piggy lovin, if you're seeing flakes of dry skin on your pig, it may be mites, a fungus, or dry skin. Can you post a picture?

By all means I was saying they are not going to smell like flowers and sunshine all the time! I know what piggies smell like and I know they don't stink I do have piggies of my own!

Piggy lovin

Cavy Slave
Hi thanks all for the reply. I clean out the whole cage every two to three days but clean out the litter area daily. I am hoping it is not the fourth point that you suggested but will keep an eye out for him in the next few days, like I said he did smell normal when I first got him I'm thinking it's his pee that starting to smell Wierd.

Also I have been giving him vitamin drops in his food but I saw somewhere it's not good for them so I stopped....maybe to much vitamin?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.